PDA

View Full Version : Cheap GPS Holder Turned Out Expensive

60north
24th October 2004, 01:48 PM
I took a trip out to one of my caches to sot it out as a finder had reported water ingression.

I have recently bought a Garmin eTrex Camo and I dont have a holder for it for the car so I stood it up between the dashboard and windscreen. Unfortunately the flexing of the car's body as it went over the bumps in the road has caused the GPS to be compressed and a crack has appeared across the screen :(

It would be nice if I could fix the screen to stop water getting in, but I am a bit nervous of using glues since I used a glue on a mobile phone battery ate its way into the battery :blink:

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Brenin Tegeingl
24th October 2004, 05:47 PM
Contact Garmin about returning it for repair. Their after sales service is legendry, see the thread in the Uk forums on GC.COM about it.
Dave

60north
24th October 2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks a lot for that. I have emailed them, being honest about my error, and will let you know what happens.

I must admit that I have always liked the Garmin units. The only other GPS I owned was made by Silva. The Magellans look good, but once you have a couple of cables for the Garmin's it doesn't seem worth changing.

Bill D (wwh)
24th October 2004, 11:09 PM
As Dave said, Garmin are renowned for their customer service, so you could be lucky there! :)

Daisy&me
27th October 2004, 07:49 PM
I cracked the screen on my etrex by clumsyness and sent it to Garmin asking them to repair it. The sent it back repaired, by courier then next - free of charge! So its definitely worth getting yours fixed.

Lassitude
2nd November 2004, 09:34 PM
I dropped my Summit and cracked the LCD. It was out of warranty and they still fixed it free of charge. I wish other companies would take a leaf out of Garmins book.

Chris

60north
4th December 2004, 08:58 PM
Sure enough, Garmin fixed my eTrex Camo free of charge. I am soooo impressed.

What they will gain out of this is someone who goes aound telling everyone that they should buy a gps and that it should be a Garmin.

My boss is already keen to get one!