PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Axie-Ali
31st December 2011, 05:31 PM
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and to geocaching, Hubby requested an off road GPS for biking/hiking for his Christmas present and we have very quickly become addicted to geocaching! We have now found 7 in 3 days and intend to go out for a mammoth one tomorrow!
BTW we are in Kent.

martybartfast
31st December 2011, 05:59 PM
Hello, and welcome to our world.
I'm sure you're gonna get lots of :D , you'll probably have a few caches that make you go :dunno: and some even :wacko: , oh and if you look out for some events you might even have a few of :cheers: .

M.

The Tares Clan
31st December 2011, 07:07 PM
Welcome to the addictive world of geocaching.

It is something that is not just about the numbers (although there are those that do it for that reason) - it is about getting out in the fresh air, going place that you have never been to or places you had thought you knew about but someone has been kind enough to put a cache in a place that you did not realise was there.

Make sure that you start off with some easier ones before going onto the more difficult as you do not want to be put off.

I would also recommend doing quite a few caches before you actually place one - that way, you will know the type of thing that you enjoy and what other cachers put out, good and bad.

Axie-Ali
31st December 2011, 07:38 PM
Thank you for your welcome - Martybartfast and The Tares Clan.
I'm very excited about the world of geocaching and i'm sure there are many that will drive me crazy.
What amazes me most is it seems there is a whole new world out there that we never knew existed, we are keen walkers and have been for years and have walked our dog (who we sadly lost 2 months ago) around many of the places that have caches without even knowing they were there!
Best of all it has given our daughter (8) incentive to get out walking with us, in the past most walks were accompanied by whinging and whining....not anymore:D

martybartfast
31st December 2011, 08:08 PM
T
Best of all it has given our daughter (8) incentive to get out walking with us, in the past most walks were accompanied by whinging and whining....not anymore:D

In that case you might want to steer clear of "mirco" and "nano" caches as they don't have room for swaps and can be a bit of a let down, I think the larger caches will hold more excitement for her.

Bear and Ragged
31st December 2011, 10:36 PM
In that case you might want to steer clear of "mirco" and "nano" caches as they don't have room for swaps and can be a bit of a let down, I think the larger caches will hold more excitement for her.
On the other hand, if daughter can find them, and you can't, she might enjoy the caching experience even more! :lol:

Welcome. :)

Axie-Ali
1st January 2012, 09:54 AM
Thannk you Bear and ragged, we have tried both now and she seems to enjoy the hunt no matter what, but definitely the ones with swaps hold a bit more excitement. :D

JPH2909
1st January 2012, 01:34 PM
Welcome and have fun we started just before christmas and just wanted it over so we could get out caching again. So the same experience as you guys. Tomorrow is the day we have set aside for a full days caching as we predicted hangovers for today. Have fun.

frosty68
1st January 2012, 02:38 PM
welcome to the game, get ready to become obsessed :D

Axie-Ali
1st January 2012, 06:25 PM
Thank you JPH2909 and frosty68.
The obsession is definitely in full swing!:D we also predicted hangovers today but spending all day geocaching blew those away :o we only intended to go out for the morning but ended up having a service station sandwich for lunch (great on NY day!:o) so we could continue this afternoon:applause:....at least we are having roast tonight!
We have found a circular walk that has 16 caches near where we live so we will attempt that tomorrow....if our coats are dry after todays downpour!
:blink::blink::blink: