PDA

View Full Version : CITO Balsam

duncanhoyle
31st January 2012, 04:26 PM
I've read in a couple of places about CITO events being organised for the clearing of Himalayan Balsam. Is it still acceptable to organise such an event and call it CITO?

I volunteer with the local Wildlife Trust and the volunteer organiser is interested was very interested when I mentioned it to her so unless these are now not allowed I'd like to try to organise something for later this year, probably around May.

Presumably all I'd need to do is create an event as usual, give a few details of balsam and say what's planned.
I'll investigate the insurance situation with the Trust.

Any more advice?

Duncan

Guiding Nutter
31st January 2012, 08:51 PM
I've just had a look on the main geocaching site, and this is what it says about CITO
'Events might be focused on litter clean-up, removal of invasive species, revegetation efforts or building trails. Together, we make an enormous positive impact. Did we mention that we also have a bit of fun while we're at it?'

I think basically as long as we're doing something that will have a positive impact on the environment, it's all good!

border caz
1st February 2012, 01:10 PM
Comes under "removal of invasive species", surely?

duncanhoyle
2nd February 2012, 10:58 AM
Thanks. I had looked at the guidelines but obviously missed the invasive species part

duncanhoyle
24th February 2012, 08:02 AM
OK. The Wildlife Trust is now completetely on board with the idea and the event is likely to go ahead in May or June.
They'd like to know if it would be ok for them to advertise it as an event to the general public as well - are CITO events (or any event) allowed to be part of a larger event open to the general public?

I'm also hoping to organise an event to coincide with the 10th Annual CITO weekend in April.

Thanks

Duncan

martybartfast
24th February 2012, 09:20 AM
are CITO events (or any event) allowed to be part of a larger event open to the general public?

Don't see why not, I've been to camping events where there were non caching campers, pub events where there were non caching drinkers, and also a Cito event where the logistics and tools were provided by the local ranger service for whom it was also one of their regular cleanup meets for the local 'friends of' group however on that occasion everyone who turned up was a cacher (apart from the ranger).