PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Whitley Bay

Amblingalong
16th June 2012, 02:07 PM
Hello to everyone from Whitley Bay.

I took a guy to the Calvert Trust at Kielder last week and we had a short introduction to Geocaching, i enjoyed it and would like to give it a go.

Iwas very surprised that there are so many caches out there and some so close to home which has encouraged me even more

I've downloaded an App onto my phone but I want to buy a handheld GPS which looks like a bit of a minefield when deciding which one/type to buy.

Regards,
Amblingalong :)

Bear and Ragged
17th June 2012, 05:28 PM
Welcome!

There are a lot of units to choose from.
http://www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk/ has sections about GPS units and Paperless.

Have a read, decide what features you would like/don't need and ask questions!

A good way to see GPS units in action is to attend an event. Most cachers are happy to 'talk kit' with fellow cachers!

Amblingalong
17th June 2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that, great site very informative

Palujia
17th June 2012, 11:14 PM
There are also second hand GPS units for sale sometimes on this and other caching sites - some older models work perfectly well and the only reason the owner is selling is to have the "latest" kit. It is not really necessary to have the newest "paperless caching" unit. My caching buddy has the old yellow Garmin which just gives a compass and distance and it is just as accurate (sometimes better) than my Oregon 550. You tube has lots of "demos" of GPS units which may help - but as others say - go to a meet of your local caching fraternity and you will find lots of new friends all willing to show you the advantages of their GPS units. Just bear in mind you can go caching with a decent OS map and a compass !! - some purists will tell you its the only way !!! Whilst others with the latest "tablet" sized GPS can show detailed maps (the latest Google even shows the cars in my drive !!!)v I just kept asking people till I made my mind up, then "She who must be obeyed" told me I couldn't afford it ! Worked my way through the SATNAV on the car, early model Garmin and now got an Oregon 550, which I have had for over a year now, good OS maps loaded and paperless downloads - works for me
happy caching

jesmond lynam
19th June 2012, 04:06 PM
Hello to everyone from Whitley Bay.

I took a guy to the Calvert Trust at Kielder last week and we had a short introduction to Geocaching, i enjoyed it and would like to give it a go.

Iwas very surprised that there are so many caches out there and some so close to home which has encouraged me even more

I've downloaded an App onto my phone but I want to buy a handheld GPS which looks like a bit of a minefield when deciding which one/type to buy.

Regards,
Amblingalong :)

Hi Amblingalong, and welcome to the sport.

Some great caches around Whitley which I am sure you will enjoy

There's a new NE Cachers' forum which you may like to join to get a local flavour of what's happening in the region - www.negeocaching.co.uk (http://www.negeocaching.co.uk)

Cheers

Jesmond Lynam

Amblingalong
19th June 2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Palujia, I have succumbed and i have been out and splashed the cash.
Jesmond Lynam thanks for the link, my next question was going to be about local groups/Geocachers as i was having difficulty locating a local forum.

Thanks again guys.

Amblingalong

daddyanddude
4th July 2012, 10:05 AM
welcome to the world of caching there is a great little shop in seaton delaval called 10th ave cakes they have a large display of caching products from Travel Bugs to Nanos and they are always great for advice.. Happy Caching..:)

Amblingalong
4th July 2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that Daddyanddude i'll go and take a look it will be interesting to see what they have got.
I've been out and found a few caches but i haven't had anything to swap so i've picked up a few things over the last couple of days. Cheers.