PDA

View Full Version : 'non-social' cachers

eusty
17th November 2012, 08:53 PM
I am not really a 'sociable' cacher. Not that I'm unfriendly, but mainly I cache with the family and attend the odd local event.

Probably this how most people who cache are....so

1) Apart from the GLAD, how does the GAGB benefit those in a similar situation?

2) And how would you encourage cachers like me to view the GAGB is relevant to them?

sandvika
18th November 2012, 04:23 AM
I am not really a 'sociable' cacher. Not that I'm unfriendly, but mainly I cache with the family and attend the odd local event.

2) And how would you encourage cachers like me to view the GAGB is relevant to them?

I feel I've mostly answered (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=60420&postcount=3) this question already. I think GAGB's benefits are rather sparse at present and we need to focus on making GAGB so relevant that everyone joins and participates.

It means we need to know your opinion too, so what would make GAGB more relevant to you? Are there any quick wins to help get us started?

sandvika
18th November 2012, 04:28 AM

I feel I've mostly answered (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=60420&postcount=3) this question already. I think GAGB's benefits are rather sparse at present and we need to focus on making GAGB so relevant that everyone joins and participates.

It means we need to know your opinion too, so what would make GAGB more relevant to you? Are there any quick wins to help get us started? We need to ask and keep asking, so we can set priorities regularly. The proof point comes every time new benefits are added and we learn how relevant they are.

The Wombles
18th November 2012, 09:33 AM
GAGB offers discounts to members, a place to ask questions and an excellent publication in the form of Seeker. I would like to see more GAGB events and hence I ran a GAGB CITO last year which was really well attended. By extending the more social side of GAGB I think it will become more familiar and useful to a wider group.

geocaching womble
18th November 2012, 09:47 AM
The GAGB offers discounts to the membership and produces the magazine Seeker

If elected I hope to have more regular GAGB Events and promotional stock to increase the feeling of belonging to the organisation by getting out amongst the membership on a much more regular basis

Thanks
Dominic

daddyanddude
18th November 2012, 10:32 AM
We need to have more GAGB events through out the country not just large events (mega) that way new people can meat the committee members, find out about discounts,whats happening and tell us what problems they face, the Gagb needs to get back to grass roots.

countrymatters
18th November 2012, 11:06 AM
Each year I ran a geoevent walk across Morecambe Bay. This year I gave it to the MEGA. There's no reason why it can't become an annual GAGB event. I can be the go-between with Cedric Robinson.

mollyjak
18th November 2012, 05:23 PM

As you state you are not a 'sociable' cacher - I am not sure how some of the comments about events will benefit you. However there are discounts from a number of places available and this could benefit you when you need to buy a new something (boots, waterproof, caching goodies,etc) :)

The GAGB is a place to ask for help, questions and if there is something anyone wishes to see as a focus or a relevence to them we welcome you bringing it to our attention.
We should be a voice for cachers but we do need to find out what cachers want and not what we think they want.

The beauty of this hobby is that YOU can play it as YOU wish - as in on your own, family, group, event, camping event, etc.

eusty
18th November 2012, 07:17 PM
The GAGB is a place to ask for help, questions and if there is something anyone wishes to see as a focus or a relevence to them we welcome you bringing it to our attention.
We should be a voice for cachers but we do need to find out what cachers want and not what we think they want

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, although I've been a member for 18 months I haven't posted on here much as the forum/website looks as if had been neglected for a while.

For those like me a modern lively forum would be a place I would come to more often, especially if there was up-to-date supplementary information available.

The website and forum could be a great asset in getting people to intact with the GAGB and making it relevant to them, but at the present it falls very short. :(

sandvika
19th November 2012, 05:38 PM
Each year I ran a geoevent walk across Morecambe Bay. This year I gave it to the MEGA. There's no reason why it can't become an annual GAGB event. I can be the go-between with Cedric Robinson.

The questioner stated he was not a social cacher, so I don't think he was looking for an annual event!

(Aside from that I'd love to join you on this event and think holding it annually would be great, it has been recommended to me by a friend)

northking
20th November 2012, 09:28 PM
I find forums to be a bit formal. I like the GAGB FaceBook group for the spontaneity and friendliness (sometimes). There are a lot of vibrant local groups popping up now. I tend to cache alone, but have met so many great people through this game. I understand your situation, this game is great as it attracts so many different types of people and we can all generally get so much enjoyment out of it. We do however have a need to keep in touch with every player and ensure that we can engage. Would a welcome/induction pack help? or maybe a list of local groups, or cachers who would be willing to act as 'GAGB ambassadors' or mentors to new players or those lone players looking for a buddy for the day? Just ideas, but hope that it shows that I want the GAGB to engage with the individual player not just sit back and wait for them to come to us.

bobo frett
21st November 2012, 09:42 AM
I think that's a great idea Jeff.
Even an email to be sent out to new members which could perhaps have the latest issue of seeker, useful caching links (greasemonkey add-ons), maybe the top ten caches in their area...something along those lines.