PDA

View Full Version : Committee Roles

mollyjak
18th November 2012, 08:43 PM
I would like to know which role within the Committee do you feel most able to volunteer to undertake?

mollyjak
18th November 2012, 08:46 PM
I will start this off as I feel one of my strengths is Communication and so I would wish to continue with answering all general queries / phone calls to the GAGB, yet leaving specific questions about Landowner Agreements to whoever is taking overall charge of that section of the GAGB work.

Team Microdot
18th November 2012, 08:49 PM
It would help those of us invited to stand for election for the first time if we knew what the particular roles were and the responsibilities that come with each :)

I have asked the question before but was told this was usually all sorted out after the election.

Maple Leaf
18th November 2012, 09:04 PM
It would help those of us invited to stand for election for the first time if we knew what the particular roles were and the responsibilities that come with each :)

I have asked the question before but was told this was usually all sorted out after the election.

Extracted from Seeker (issue 10 (https://www.gagb.org.uk/uploads/Seeker/seeker10.swf)):

What’s involved in joining the committee?

There are a number of positions that need filling by the members of the committee so it is important that there is a selection of skill sets available from those that stand to fill the following roles:

Chairman
Treasurer
Secretary
Webmaster
GLAD management
Editor & Contributors to Seeker magazine
Answering telephone enquiries (often from landowners that have discovered caches on their land that haven’t got permission)
Dealing with email enquiries (enquiries from geocachers and the public including media and police forces)

You will also need to be available to:
- Attend regular (online) committee meetings
- Participate in committee and general forum discussions
- Help with promotion of the GAGB – e.g. stand at Mega events

Team Microdot
18th November 2012, 09:11 PM
I'd be up for:

Assisting the webmaster
Assisting with GLAD management
Contributor to Seeker magazine
Dealing with email enquiries (enquiries from geocachers and the public including media and police forces)

And

- Help with promotion of the GAGB

Zomblou
18th November 2012, 09:13 PM
I would be happy to take on GLAD mangement and be happy to work on it with someone else if it was too onerous for one person. In saying that I'm not precluding consideration of other roles.

sandvika
18th November 2012, 09:19 PM
In case anyone is wondering, Mollyjak and I are not sitting next to each other, though we appear to be on the same wavelength! :D

I was unaware of her question when I effectively answered it (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=60522&postcount=6) just a minute later. For the reasons given in the other post I think I would like to be our Secretary if I am elected.

mollyjak
18th November 2012, 09:52 PM
In case anyone is wondering, Mollyjak and I are not sitting next to each other, though we appear to be on the same wavelength! :D

I was unaware of her question when I effectively answered it (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=60522&postcount=6) just a minute later. For the reasons given in the other post I think I would like to be our Secretary if I am elected.

I did wonder if you had received the email regarding the question and posted in the wrong thread ( that's what I would do LOL) :)

I deliberately did not state the responsibilities as I wanted to see what would be suggested.:)

Maple Leaf
18th November 2012, 10:05 PM
..snip
I deliberately did not state the responsibilities as I wanted to see what would be suggested.:)

Sorry :D

The Wombles
18th November 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm happy to help with any of:

Treasurer
Secretary
GLAD management
Contributions to Seeker magazine
Answering telephone enquiries (often from landowners that have discovered caches on their land that haven’t got permission)
Attend regular (online) committee meetings
Participate in committee and general forum discussions
Help with promotion of the GAGB – e.g. stand at Mega events

Team Microdot
18th November 2012, 10:34 PM
I'd still like to know more about the responsibilities which go along with each role.

sandvika
18th November 2012, 10:53 PM
I'd still like to know more about the responsibilities which go along with each role.
I suggest you choose a role and put your stamp on it - a role is what you make of it. I'd rather be on a committee where members are doing whatever enables them to be most effective rather than being round pegs pushed into square holes of rigid definition. If what you would like isn't on the list, invent it and describe it: you might just prompt someone else to wish they'd thought of it.

Team Microdot
18th November 2012, 10:58 PM
I suggest you choose a role and put your stamp on it - a role is what you make of it. I'd rather be on a committee where members are doing whatever enables them to be most effective rather than being round pegs pushed into square holes of rigid definition. If what you would like isn't on the list, invent it and describe it: you might just prompt someone else to wish they'd thought of it.

Given the thread about reprimanding committee members who act without mandate, and my comparative lack of knowledge about how things run generally within the GAGB - I'd much rather receive some further guidance on scope than end up on the naughty step at some point in the future :)

countrymatters
19th November 2012, 07:57 AM
I'm more than happy to continue editing Seeker, but equally happy to surrender to someone else with more skill than me. There are really two aspects: one is producing and generating editorial content; the other is design. They don't have to be in the hands of the same person, although it helps.

The design element does not require the designer to be a member of Committee - anyone with Adobe skills and software can do it. But I do feel that the editor needs to be on the inside, rather than to be fed information from the Committee, out of the loop.

DrDick&Vick
19th November 2012, 12:39 PM
I will answer about one of the rolls for you all.
Treasurer:
Taking care of the PayPal and Bank account, maintaining accounts and publishing them as stated in the constitution.
Making any payments either by PayPal or cheque/bank transfer as decreed by the committee
Receiving emails prom PayPal for payments and donations received. Updating the forum Donations bar.

There is also the need for somebody to take on the responsibility of new membership applications, at the moment they are set so as an Admin person has to to say yes/no, this is to vastly reduce the amount of 'spam' members that were joining. Maybe 2 people could share this again in the way that I and Palujia did.

sandvika
19th November 2012, 01:41 PM
Given the thread about reprimanding committee members who act without mandate, and my comparative lack of knowledge about how things run generally within the GAGB - I'd much rather receive some further guidance on scope than end up on the naughty step at some point in the future :)

I don't see any conflicting objectives here. Acting without mandate is taking decisions on your own that should be decided by our committee, usually because they involve third parties and would commit GAGB to a course of action, or a policy position.

Taking the initiative when you are on our committee is to be commended, but should none the less be communicated properly.

*geocass*
20th November 2012, 12:09 PM
Unless anyone else wants to take on the role (And I will gladly support them if they do), I see my primary role on the committee as webmaster. It is quite a big role however, so like it has been suggested in other discussions it'd be good to have some help. I've been working for some time on redesigning the site. No problem on the technical ability front, it's just having the time to do it!

Also, I'll happily keep contributing to the wonderful Seeker magazine.

geocaching womble
20th November 2012, 12:19 PM
Extracted from Seeker (issue 10 (https://www.gagb.org.uk/uploads/Seeker/seeker10.swf)):

There are a number of positions that need filling by the members of the committee so it is important that there is a selection of skill sets available from those that stand to fill the following roles:

Secretary

I'd go for that one if elected

And I would want to update the GAGB caching guidelines to make them more user friendly

Thanks
Dominic

daddyanddude
20th November 2012, 04:25 PM

Chairman
Treasurer
Secretary
Webmaster
GLAD management
Editor & Contributors to Seeker magazine
You will also need to be available to:
- Help with promotion of the GAGB – e.g. stand at Mega events
Apart from the main roles ie Treasurer and secretary could the role of answering telephone ,dealing with emails not be combined this way as a new committee trying to move forward different roles could be created or more of a description put on each role ie treasurer to become , treasurer and merchandise sales. secretary and advertising i feel this would be the perfect time to show members that they have a dynamic committee dedicated to moving forward to promote the GAGB and show that we are ready to listen and take on board comments and suggestions and become the voice for geocaching that we know the GAGB can be.

geocaching womble
20th November 2012, 04:55 PM
If I am elected can we have a guideline and listing site liaison manager (I would be prepared to do this) who is responsible for the GAGB caching guidelines and making sure that they stay in touch with all listing sites to keep up to date with any changes made to liting site rules and legal problems that arise from it

Thanks
Dominic

Maple Leaf
20th November 2012, 06:12 PM
Apart from the main roles ie Treasurer and secretary could the role of answering telephone ,dealing with emails not be combined this way as a new committee trying to move forward different roles could be created or more of a description put on each role ie treasurer to become , treasurer and merchandise sales. secretary and advertising i feel this would be the perfect time to show members that they have a dynamic committee dedicated to moving forward to promote the GAGB and show that we are ready to listen and take on board comments and suggestions and become the voice for geocaching that we know the GAGB can be.

This linked article was written for Seeker magazine just to give people an idea of tasks that are currently undertaken by the committee and by no means a defined list ... nor does it include everything (calendar updating is another job that takes quite alot of time - which I currently do).

The phone call and email answering is primarily done by mollyjak at the moment - with her referring anything she is not sure about.

northking
20th November 2012, 08:25 PM
I would be quite happy to muck in. I have an insight into Policing and therefore interested in the way that we are viewed by Law Enforcement and our communication with it.

I strongly believe that we need to make inroads into new players and have a clear message for them when they join, almost a welcome/induction pack, so would be willing to get involved with new joiners and sorting out the 'spammers' too.

bobo frett
21st November 2012, 10:05 AM
I am a good, positive and diplomatic communicator. I know my skills lie there. I would offer my services in perhaps communicating with those authorities who have 'no-noed' land access before.

I'll also happily contribute to Seeker.
I've got some lovely pictures I would quite gladly show off ;)

The committee's presence needs to be raised on facebook and twitter too.

northking
21st November 2012, 11:29 AM
'The committee's presence needs to be raised on facebook and twitter too'.

Excellent point Sir. I 'like' both mediums.

daddyanddude
21st November 2012, 12:00 PM
i linked the seeker article as this was the only point of reference( hope i didn't upset any one in my comments as this was not intended) as there is no full description of the roles of the committee. my aim was to put across that, at this cross roads in the GAGB development as a new committee is being formed it could be a great opportunity to draw up the roles of the position so every one can see it would go to showing transparency of the association, it could also be the time to introduce regional representatives and members who come on board for specific task. the committee of the past have done some great work my thought is can we not use that as the foundation to propel the gagb in a new direction.

countrymatters
21st November 2012, 12:24 PM
I'll also happily contribute to Seeker.
I've got some lovely pictures I would quite gladly show off ;)

Okay, my little ray of sunshine; you shouldn't make offers like that in front of an editor.:D So, how about doing me a picture portfolio for the next issue, please. Everyone must be sick of looking at my pictures by now....I am.:o

...and, of course, you can do this whether elected or not. So, do it, or I'll stop putting caches on Skye, and then you'll have no reason to go back!:rolleyes:

JackieC
21st November 2012, 12:29 PM
I dont really have a role I want to put myself forward for. I'm happy to work at whatever aspect needs my input, plus until the team is decided I've no idea what strengths and talents will be on there.

As with many others I have a legislative background, but mine is involved with the agricultural sector, so would be useful for landowner/farmer negotiations. (I have previously quipped that I speak 'farmer' as a language.... it sounds daft but it proved to be most useful in the past).

I'm happy to muck in with the seeker, updating guidelines, publicity, attending events, etc.... anything really. The only thing I'd be reluctant to volunteer for is the web/forum side of things as I'm not good with keeping these things running (I tend to break them). But I'm happy to help and will have a go (if under supervision).