PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of the Q & A section?

lfc4eva
19th November 2012, 03:38 PM
There seems to be very little input from the "ordinary" member. Of the 15 questions, only 5 have been asked by members outside of either the nominees standing for election or those nominated but declined.

Is anyone outside of the committee even interested in what the GAGB does?

With just 4 days until voting opens, I have no idea what each candidate is going to bring to the committee.

Once the Chair was elected, I would have liked to see just a couple of questions which are relevant to what the GAGB does, asking the nominees how they will help the GAGB to fulfil it's duty to it's members and perhaps a short statement from each nominee saying where their expertise lies.

When the committee is in place, then is the time to review where it is at and perhaps draw up some kind of mission statement and a statement of intent on what they are proposing over the next twelve months.

Maybe at some point you need to send out a questionnaire to all members asking for feedback.. not an open question session saying "what would you like us to do?" but more of a "This is what we, the GAGB already do.. these are our proposals for the next twelve months.. how well are we doing this and how can we improve?"

Jeanette :)

sandvika
19th November 2012, 04:15 PM
Ouch! I wrote my election statement as summary of what I consider to be the top issues I'd like to address, if elected. This is in addition to the ambition I have for GAGB that I conveyed in my election statement for Chairman.

I think the high turnout for our Chairman election shows that our members are interested in what our association does.

Rather than wait until our committee is in place, it's your chance to gauge the motives and enthusiasm of each candidate, through asking more questions. I would welcome your specific questions.

geocaching womble
19th November 2012, 04:23 PM
I would welcome your specific questions.

Agreed

Thanks
Dominic

mollyjak
19th November 2012, 04:33 PM
I think it is important that you get an idea of what each person is like from reading the information they have given, but as with all things related to the internet the actual meeting in person would be better. As this is impossible this gives best fit in the circumstances

I do think others are reading, watching and making their decisions as the questions are being answered. As the numbers proved by the voting of the Chairman the interest is much higher this year and hopefully it will also be reflected in the vote for Committee. :)

I think the questions being asked are interesting, valid and varied particularly as some are being asked by past Committee members who actually know specifically what some of the problems are.

lfc4eva
19th November 2012, 05:11 PM
I suppose part of the problem is that I don't actually know what the GAGB do.

I have been a member for almost 4 years and apart from occasionally reading the forum (usually when someone has highlighted something of interest), taking part in last years mileage race, familiarising myself with the code of conduct and cache placement guidelines, I haven't really had any involvement.

Problem is, the more I read in the run up to the elections, the more I am thinking :eek::eek::eek:

Of the questions that have been put forward so far, although interesting and varied, there are only a couple I feel are relevant prior to the elections, from an ordinary members point of view.

It seems to me, these questions are being asked by the existing committee members / ex committee members to those who haven't previously been involved and have no prior knowledge of what issues there have been that weren't addressed satisfactorily.

Zomblou
19th November 2012, 05:39 PM
It seems to me, these questions are being asked by the existing committee members / ex committee members to those who haven't previously been involved and have no prior knowledge of what issues there have been that weren't addressed satisfactorily.

It feels like that to me too and the longer it goes on the less enthusiatic I feel about joining this 'team'. I'm somebody who gets a lot of enjoyment out of this activity and I just wanted to give something back in a positive way. I'm offering my time on a voluntary basis to help run an organisation that represents people who play a glorified game of hunt the thimble. Why therefore, do I feel that I'm being interviewed for a boardroom position with a six figure salary. It all has a feel of things being taken far too seriously.

It isn't possible to form an opinion of what someone is like or of their capacity to get things done and to see a job through to the end by asking this type of question. It is only testing their ability to answer questions and in my experience the best talkers aren't necessarily the ones who get things done.

So why aren't non-committee members asking questions? perhaps they feel that there aren't any left to ask.

northking
20th November 2012, 09:16 PM
I'd rather get involved with people face to face, I'm not a huge forum fan. But if that's what is required then I will try to get my head around it.

Until I actually went to the NW Mega and stood and chatted with Dave (I think) at the GAGB stand admittedly to find the cuckoo cache I regarded the GAGB as a remote committee that was trying to impose extra rules upon me which I felt that I didn't need. Coming away from our chat it wasn't quite an epiphany but I began to think that the Geocaching community in our Country was receiving a bad press, (deserved or not) I felt that it was quite disjointed and lacked a clear voice, but it was clear to me that the committee members were committed and earnest in their desire to represent everyone for the good.

So, I want ALL GB players to be able to make an informed choice as to whether they want to be a member or not, and for the GAGB to have a clear message and a clear voice and connect with the players more effectively. I would do this with a welcome/induction pack and regular GAGB 'roadshows' at events.