PDA

View Full Version : I, Us or We?

mantonclan
20th November 2012, 11:01 PM
I have been watching the Q&A section, plus a few other places, and have observed how things are developing with regards the forthcoming committee election.

As I have read a few recent post, a little bell started to ring in my head so I thought I would pose my own question for the nominated participants. A question I hope will enable those viewing these Q&As to maybe get a better feel for the candidates motivations.

Which of the words below best describes your motivation and what you most seek to deliver by becoming a member of the GAGB committee?

1) I (Myself)
2) Us (The committee)
3) We (The community)

Zomblou
20th November 2012, 11:43 PM
The answer is we (the community). I've said all along that my motivation for standing is to give something back to the geocaching community. I have some spare time and I think I have the skills to do a decent job in some committee roles - Landowner agreements for one. If elected I will do my my best to work, as a team member, to further the work of the GAGB in representing the geocaching community. If I'm not elected I will offer my services anyway.

Madyokel
21st November 2012, 12:06 AM
Do you think anybody would answer "I" even if somebody may seem to be appearing that way..:rolleyes:

northking
21st November 2012, 12:08 AM
'We' which incorporates 'I' and 'us'.

The committee needs to represent the community in an effective and transparent manner. Think I've banged on about this a lot in other answers, but it is important.

Team Microdot
21st November 2012, 08:55 AM
Let's hope that WE is the main answer as it's the only one with a chance of achieving any of the objectives we aspire to :)

bobo frett
21st November 2012, 09:03 AM
We. Every time. When me and my clan started this hobby it would have been 'I'. We knew nothing of it. I had no idea of the wealth of experience, the range of backgrounds or the depth and strength of the communities which existed in this craziest of hobbies.

However, nearly two years down the line there is no question it is 'we'. Not just for our local community, which is fantastic, and we are told one of the nicest and most welcoming but for the national community.

However, the national 'we' (sounds so wrong and I am tempted to add an extra e and claim ignorance) is fractured. The rise of the use of social networking amongst the gc community adds fire to this and I think we need to start building a more positive base for the GAGB to help add to the 'we'....e

JackieC
21st November 2012, 01:25 PM
Its got to be a "we" for me too.

I can't think of a way to describe this properly, but hopefully you'll work out what I mean....

Without the time, energy and passion of other cachers then we wouldn't be able to go out and find new and interesting places, meet other cachers in the most remote of places (and at mega events) and make friends throughout the world all because of little hidden boxes. Caching relies on community, it can't be done completely alone (you need someone else to place the caches you go and find) so we're all in this together.

Most of my best friends were made through caching, most of my best holiday memories involve a cache and most of the best laughs I've had have been at caching events. The caching community have given me all this, and I'd like to give back (in bucketloads) to us all.

Until now I've been fairly limited (geographically) on the caching community I've been able to contribute to, and having thought long about the GAGB nomination (before accepting it) I hoped that this would allow me to give back to a far wider community.

Hope that makes sense

geocaching womble
21st November 2012, 01:34 PM
3) We (The community)
The answer is above

I started caching with a team and enjoyed but I have been away from caching as part of a team for a while and I belive that the wider community needs a voice and this is my way of giving back to the people that tried to understand me and have faith in me since I began caching and I can do this by standing for election

As part of the wider geocaching coummunity, I want to help update and improve a fairer and wider view of the GAGB that we are not a 'Quango' and deserve the right to futher develop and embrace the GAGB's relevance in today's society as well as moving forward with plans for the future.

Thanks
Dominic

daddyanddude
21st November 2012, 10:28 PM
I will say al 3,
(I)want to be able to talk and listen to fellow cachers so (US) the committee can make the changes to benifit (WE) the community.

The whole of the gagb needs to work together not only the committee but the members * ONLY THAT WAY CAN WE MAKE THE CHANGES*

sandvika
22nd November 2012, 08:02 AM
It is clearly we - the community. I think in GAGB we should have one eye on becoming the very best that we can be, the other on what our wider community wants and aspires to, to become relevant to all and gain strong traction with all sections of our community.

The Wombles
22nd November 2012, 05:03 PM
I'd like to help GAGB meet it's objectives and we'll be most successful in doing this if we work together and towards the short term goals that everyone agrees need to be achieved.

mollyjak
22nd November 2012, 06:45 PM
Not sure about this as I seem to be on a different wavelength :)

As it is I , me , myself who motivates me to do what I choose as in the past year and the future - whether as part of the GAGB Committee or not.

I am the cacher - not Tony my husband.
I enjoy this hobby.
I have made a load of friends through this hobby.
I go to events / camping and meet them and have great fun.
I will spend my time for on-line meetings.

At the end of it this hobby has opened up a new life for us which I, ME, MYSELF thoroughly enjoy :) and if I can give some of this back by ensuring answering phone calls, calming angry farmers, replying to requests for help, etc promoting the GAGB and doing what I can - then RESULT

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause:

I do not mean to come over as a superficial answer but I do it because I want to!!!