PDA

View Full Version : Questionable 'Discoveries' of Trackables.

ardip912
14th December 2012, 01:42 AM
Hi,

My GAGB Coin was recently 'discovered' by a user in the US. "Thanks for sharing" was the main part of the log.

This coin has never left my posession, and is used only to log my personal mileage.

1. How did some Yank get hold of the unique tracking code?

2. Would I be within my rights to delete said Yanks log?

3. Can I protect my trackables from fraudulent 'discoveries'?

Just asking.

mollyjak
14th December 2012, 07:08 AM
We 'play' this game the way we choose :)

In My Opinion Only
Might just be a randon selection of pressing letters and numbers on searching for a trackable - with so many out there bound to get one at some time. Might be interesting to follow his/her trackables list.;)

If it annoys you then you can delete it - I would say.

Not sure how you can protect it in any other way.

There are quite a few cachers who have a TB/coin which 'travels' with them to show mileage as well.

Team Microdot
14th December 2012, 08:31 AM
It is of course entirely possible that it's just a simple typo which has led to the wrong trackable being logged :)

Why not get in touch with them and suggest this to them - then they might be able to identify and log the correct one.

Then delete the log - if you want to :cool:

martybartfast
14th December 2012, 09:24 AM
1. A number of ways, guessing TB numbers, getting the number from a previous finder, seeing the number in a picture or on a forum somewhere.

2. Yes, go ahead. If it's someone deliberately trying to hike their numbers then they'll probably just ignore the deletion. If it's someone who made a genuine mistake they may try again or ask why you deleted it but if you explain it might help them find the right TB they were trying to log.

3. Not really, other than making sure the number doesn't get shown in any photos and you don't post it on any forums etc.

Edit to add: If your TB number is visible somewhere in a photo or a forum, and starts attracting lots of false logs then Groundspeak have been known to lock such TBs to prevent ANYONE logging them, so it's in your own best interest to delete these bogus logs rather than just leaving them.

bobo frett
15th December 2012, 12:57 PM
I think the lack of not knowing would drive me batty. I would have to find out how they got the number. Then I would send the boys round...dependent on the reply

ardip912
23rd December 2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for replies.

It doesn't bother me really, more concerned if it is an existing/growing trend/problem.

The user who logged my coin has been active 2 years.
1. Found half a dozen caches
2. Hidden 0 caches
3. Discovered well over two thousand trackables.

Whatever turns you on :dunno:

eusty
23rd December 2012, 05:30 PM
Weird!!! :confused:

Team Microdot
24th December 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for replies.

It doesn't bother me really, more concerned if it is an existing/growing trend/problem.

The user who logged my coin has been active 2 years.
1. Found half a dozen caches
2. Hidden 0 caches
3. Discovered well over two thousand trackables.

Whatever turns you on :dunno:

How very odd :blink:

Takes all sorts I suppose :rolleyes:

ben-socha
4th March 2013, 06:17 PM
Might just be a random selection of pressing letters and numbers on searching for a trackable

Well, the similar thing nearly happened to me... While logging a trackable, I confused letter "Z" with number "2" and nearly wrote a comment for a totally wrong Travel Bug (!!!). Fortunately I quickly realized my mistake.