PDA

View Full Version : Me Caches have disappeared !!

Palujia
8th April 2013, 11:37 PM
Just back from our hols in Dorset. Due to a weather problem (snow) our original holiday destination in Bromyard (nr Ludlow) had to be cancelled. Had downloaded the usual 100 caches for the area (couple of nice looking series in the area)on to my Oregon 550, but did not re-load a series in Wareham due to time constraints (She who must be obeyed wanting things packed and ready etc., etc.,) Arrived at the Caravan Club site in Wareham and powered up the lap top, only to find that the site internet was down - having paid a premium for 15 hours and not able to use it. When the internet came back up (Thursday !!!) straight on to GS to download - due to a problem with GSAK I am having trouble downloading PCs to my GPS - but at this point the lap top didn't seem to recognise the Oregon anyway. Re-loaded the Garmin program and started to download the caches in the Wareham and Swanage area by hand. Pused the send to GPS button and got the acknowledgement that it had written to the GPS. Feeling better I fired up the Oregon to look at the SIKA trail - a cache about 1/2 mile down the road and got the message "NO CACHES AT ALL ON THE GPS". Not withstanding the 100 that I had put on at home, there were also lots of local Oxfordshire ones that I was waiting to get round to doing - so at least 500 missing caches ??? Any one any idea what I did wrong ?? (As Dr Dick knows I am a real technophobe - took me several days to leaqrn how to turn it on

northking
9th April 2013, 09:56 AM
Could it be as simple as a loose memory card (fingers crossed), hope that you can get some help.

*geocass*
9th April 2013, 12:12 PM
You didn't do anything wrong Paul. This has happened to me about 5 times before, and to a friend. I copy the GPX on there, the GPX shows as being there, but when you turn the GPS on it says no caches. I believe it happens if when it loads up the first time after a new GPX is transferred and does the "loading waypoints... Loading tracks...Loading routes..." bit it gets a bit stuck and doesn't properly load them. As it doesn't go through that process again until a new GPX is copied over it accepts that the file is not there and therefore you have no caches.

It's just a blip. Nothing wrong with your device, just accept that this can happen if it gets a little stuck at first power on after a GPX transfer. Now every time before I leave the house after copying over a GPX I power up my Montana and check it can see my caches. This never happened to my Dakota when I had it. I've seen it happen to an Oregon once. My Montana is particularly prone to it. Possibly because I load so many on in one go. Lol!

Cass

Jacaru
9th April 2013, 12:51 PM
We have an Oregon 550t and sometimes this has happened to us. Do a master reset and they might just reappear.

Switch your unit off, then switch it on again, as you switch it on hold the top left hand of the corner quite firmly. The unit will ask you a question that sounds quite frightening, sorry I can't remember what, but have faith and say yes. The unit will do a reset and the caches should reappear.

eusty
9th April 2013, 02:04 PM
A good idea is to sick the GPX file on the memory card. That way if it fails you can remove the card, reboot (which will clear it), then add the card in a reboot to reload them :)