PDA

View Full Version : gps

batesandlaw
12th August 2013, 08:09 PM
hi could any body give me some advise of which gps to buy and where from. my need to have a biggish screen and not the worlds most expensive thanks mark

mollyjak
13th August 2013, 08:37 AM
Sorry not a techie I have had my Oregon for many years and love it
All I would say is look on ebay, do some research - I will try to find some links this afternoon as going out soon. Go to a local event and meet some cachers and ask them to show you their GPSs and ask.
Biggest thing is the price to be honest - lots of all singing all dancing out there now and new ones coming out at £650 - but a lot of long term cachers have long term well battered basic models.
You could also ask if anyone is upgrading>
Which area are you from?

Mollyjak S Wales

Yorkshire Yellow
13th August 2013, 01:19 PM
I'm more than happy with my 2nd hand Garmin Oregon 450. It took a bit of getting used to, coming to it from using the official app on my Android phone, but now I wouldn't be without it.

*geocass*
13th August 2013, 09:33 PM
The biggest screen you'll get is a Garmin Montana which I think is about £300 now, £150 cheaper than when I got mine when it first came out. The Oregon 4xx series is discontinued now that the Oregon 6xx series is out and should have come down in price a fair bit. So I'd say a Garmin Oregon 400 or 450 is your best bet. If the screen isn't big enough then go for a Montana 600. People are often selling their old Oregons. Perhaps try joining a few local geocaching facebook groups and see if anyone has one that they want to shift! :-) It's worth asking around.

Cass

DrDick&Vick
15th August 2013, 03:15 PM
One word of warning, if you fancy trying some of the Wherigo caches DO NIT be tempted to get a Garmin GPS 62 series as despite being newer that the earlier Oregons it does not do Wherigo caches

*geocass*
15th August 2013, 08:26 PM
Good point. The Montana and Oregon 600 doesn't support them either. The iPhone and Android apps are pretty good at supporting them though. I did all the wherigos I've found using my phone.

N0hope
18th August 2013, 09:19 AM
The Oregon 550t supports WhereIgo's. I got mine 2nd hand for about £200 with loads of extra bits. For a good comparison of all the GPSs out there search for the Follow the Arrow website. It has a good chart showing the differences and fantastic advice