PDA

View Full Version : Nominations for Committee members 2013/14

Maple Leaf
8th November 2013, 12:05 AM
Thank you to everyone that participated in the GAGB Chair elections. I am delighted to be re-elected as GAGB Chair for 2013/2014 and am now looking forward to finding out who will be joining me (there are 8 places)

There is more information about the elections in the last two issues of Seeker ( issue 16 & 17 (https://www.gagb.org.uk/news-list.php?tag=Seeker)) however if you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

--------------------------------------------

Nominations are now open for the committee elections.

This is the timetable for committee elections:

Cut off date for being a GAGB member and able to stand, nominate or vote: 1/10/13
Nominations for committee open: Fri 8/11/13
Close of nominations: Thurs 14/11/13
Election of committee: Fri 22/11/13 – Sat 30/11/13

Please make your nominations, second and accept/decline posts in THIS thread.

Any GAGB member can nominate (multiple) candidates, which need to be seconded by a different GAGB member for that nomination to be validated. Candidates are requested to accept / decline those nominations in this thread.

At the end of the nominations period this thread will be locked and anyone who has not been seconded and has accepted during this period will not be considered as a candidate for election.

Candidates are asked to prepare a CV/manifesto (and photo/avatar).

Please send your CV / manifesto, Photo and Avatar to Mike ladybugs@geocachealaska.org which will be published in a locked ‘Candidates CV/Manifesto’ thread after the nomination period has closed. Please send information ASAP so that Mike can prepare the ballot page.

A ‘Candidate Committee Discussions and questions’ thread will also be opened at that time.

More information about the annual elections can be found in section N of the constitution (https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php)and Seeker issues 16 an 17 (https://www.gagb.org.uk/news-list.php?tag=Seeker)

As with the chairman elections, we will be using SurveyMonkey, so please ensure your email address is correct in your GAGB UserCP to ensure that you receive your ballot form once voting opens. The returning officer for this election is Mike of "Ladybug Kids", who is Secretary of geocachealaska.org

Status of nominations so far :

daddyanddude (Dax Wood) - nominated, seconded, accepted
countrymatters (Terry Marsh) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
mollyak (Lilian Maund) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
*Geocass* (Cass Flowers) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
JackieC (Jackie Catterall) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
AngoranBob (Colin Thurlbourn) - nominated, seconded, accepted
ukcachemag (Adam Redshaw) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Puzbie (Dominic Lloyd) - nominated, seconded (not accepted by close of nomination period)
Sharant (Sharon Reid) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo
Poole_Man (Paul Weaver) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, avatar
Cache on Wheels (Heather Bull) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo
Fudgeman (Andy Packer) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
Richlay (Richard Lay) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar
abiherts (Abigail Hamilton-Thompson) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar

the ninjas
8th November 2013, 05:17 AM
I'd like to nominate Dax Wood

Zomblou
8th November 2013, 08:22 AM
I nominate Countrymatters for election to the committee.

3fatties
8th November 2013, 09:01 AM
Someone beat me to it...I also nominate countrymatters (Terry Marsh).

Jacaru
8th November 2013, 09:28 AM
I would like to nominate Lilian Maund as she has done a great job over the last few years and is an asset to the committee, GAGB and the overall caching community.

richlay
8th November 2013, 09:34 AM
I'll second Dax Wood and Lillian Maund

daddyanddude
8th November 2013, 09:39 AM
I accept the nominations...

Bill D (wwh)
8th November 2013, 09:47 AM
I nominate Cass Flowers – *Geocass*

mollyjak
8th November 2013, 11:01 AM
I nominate Jackie Catterall - JackieC

mollyjak
8th November 2013, 11:02 AM
I accept the nomination - thank you.

JackieC
8th November 2013, 11:16 AM
I'd like to second the nomination for Cass Flowers – *Geocass*
:D

daddyanddude
8th November 2013, 11:26 AM
id like to second Jackie c and Geocass ........ :)

AngoranBob
8th November 2013, 12:06 PM
Apologies for the newbie question but if someone wishes to stand for nomination does it need to be for a particular role?

countrymatters
8th November 2013, 12:16 PM
Apologies for the newbie question but if someone wishes to stand for nomination does it need to be for a particular role?

Nope; you're just standing as a Committee member. What happens after that remains to be seen...there are many 'jobs' that need doing, so we try to distribute them among Committee members.:cheers:

countrymatters
8th November 2013, 12:17 PM
I accept the nominations; thank you.:beer:

AngoranBob
8th November 2013, 12:24 PM
Nope; you're just standing as a Committee member. What happens after that remains to be seen...there are many 'jobs' that need doing, so we try to distribute them among Committee members.:cheers:
Thanks Terry. I'd like to stand but having only been Geocaching for a year I don't have sufficient relationships for a nomination or a second.

JackieC
8th November 2013, 01:52 PM
I accept my nomination.

Thanks Lilian and Dax. :D

countrymatters
8th November 2013, 02:26 PM
I'd like to stand but having only been Geocaching for a year I don't have sufficient relationships for a nomination or a second.

I don't think it much matters how long you've been caching - well, yes, I suppose that if it was only a couple of months, with few finds, then folk might be reluctant to vote for you. But, in my book, anyone who makes it through the first year and keeps going, is doing fine. It's what you bring to the table that's important.

So, in the interest of developing an election, I nominate AngoranBob. Let's see if anyone else seconds your nomination.:cool:

richlay
8th November 2013, 03:10 PM
I'll second it, assuming membership is valid

richlay
8th November 2013, 03:12 PM
AngoranBob, for clarity

Maple Leaf
8th November 2013, 03:36 PM
I'll second it, assuming membership is valid

AngoranBob, for clarity

Yes, membership is valid (been a member since Jan 2013)

*geocass*
8th November 2013, 03:36 PM
I accept, thanks everyone. :cheers:

Griff Grof
8th November 2013, 04:21 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this (please feel free to delete if this is the case) but when will we be able to ask questions to those who've accepted, can't see a Q&A thread yet...

Maple Leaf
8th November 2013, 05:04 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this (please feel free to delete if this is the case) but when will we be able to ask questions to those who've accepted, can't see a Q&A thread yet...

The Q&A thread will be opened at the end of the nomination period once we know who all the candidates are. So another week to wait ;)

countrymatters
8th November 2013, 05:10 PM
I'd like to stand but having only been Geocaching for a year I don't have sufficient relationships for a nomination or a second.

Well, now you've been proposed and seconded, so....over to you. You need to accept the nominations first.

Maple Leaf
8th November 2013, 11:30 PM
I am updating the first post in this thread with the candidates - as they are nominated, seconded and accepted.

countrymatters (Terry Marsh) - nominated, seconded, accepted
mollyak (Lilian Maund) - nominated, seconded, accepted
*Geocass* (Cass Flowers) - nominated, seconded, accepted
JackieC (Jackie Catterall) - nominated, seconded, accepted
AngoranBob (Colin Thurlbourn) - nominated, seconded

LadybugKids
9th November 2013, 01:47 AM
I am updating the first post in this thread with the candidates - as they are nominated, seconded and accepted.

countrymatters (Terry Marsh) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, avatar, photo
JackieC (Jackie Catterall) - nominated, seconded, accepted
AngoranBob (Colin Thurlbourn) - nominated, secondedAs mentioned by Jen in the Original Post (OP), candidates are requested to send me their CV/manifesto, avatar, and passport type photo (send me what you have and I can do the cropping if you need help) as soon as possible at ladybugs@geocachealaska.org. Please include "GAGB Election Materials" on the subject line to help with my e-mail sorting.

As luck would have it, I'll be on the Continent beginning 15 November, so I'd like to have as much of the election ballot and CV thread material compiled as possible before I leave. Thanks, in advance, for helping me front-end load this part of the election effort.

Regards,

Mike/Ladybug Kids
GAGB Returning Officer

richlay
9th November 2013, 07:59 PM
I would like to nominate Adam Redshaw (ukcachemag) please.

mollyjak
9th November 2013, 09:18 PM
I would like to second Adam Redshaw

Clipper247
10th November 2013, 07:05 PM
I don't know if he would be interested, but after standing for chairman anyway, I'd like to nominate Puzbie

richlay
10th November 2013, 08:06 PM
I'll second Puzbie and hope he reconsiders his position and accepts.

matty1984
10th November 2013, 09:06 PM
I would like to nominate Sharon of Sharant. Did an excellent job as vice-chair of Mega 2013.

Brenin Tegeingl
10th November 2013, 11:39 PM
I Second Sharon of Sharant

Dave

AngoranBob
11th November 2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the nominations. I accept :-)

Sharon - Sharant
11th November 2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks Matt & Dave, I accept the nomination - Thank you. :cheers:

Poole_Man
11th November 2013, 08:05 PM
.... I don't have a nominator or a seconder.

Would anyone be willing to nominate me and second me please?

I think its really important to have more than the 8 people to choose from and for the Committee to get elected on merit and not by default.

Also I believe I can contribute something.

Thanks. :-)

Paul Weaver aka Poole_Man

Cornell Finch
11th November 2013, 08:55 PM

I think its really important to have more than the 8 people to choose from and for the Committee to get elected on merit and not by default.

I will nominate Paul. His web design skills will be an asset to expand on the already great work done.

UKCACHEMAG
11th November 2013, 09:02 PM
Hi. Thanks for people proposing and seconding me.

I am pleased to accept

mollyjak
11th November 2013, 09:08 PM

I will second Paul Weaver

Poole_Man
11th November 2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks Colin and Lilian for the nomination and second respectively.

Just to do this officially I accept nomination.

Regards

Paul :socool:

Cache on Wheels
11th November 2013, 11:26 PM
It's great to see so many people being nominated :)I think the GAGB committee do a fantastic job and would be honoured to be a part of the committee & contribute :)

Heather Bull aka Cache on Wheels

richlay
11th November 2013, 11:27 PM
If that's a plea for a nomination I absolutely nominate Cache on Wheels!

JackieC
11th November 2013, 11:28 PM
and I absolutely second the nomination for Heather (Cache on Wheels) :applause:

Dorsetgal
11th November 2013, 11:34 PM
I'm a GAGB member of some years, and I would like to nominate Fudgeman aka Andy Packer, he's done a tremendous amount of work running events, setting caches, helping newbies, helping people achieve their goals and beyond etc

I believe he'd be an asset to the committee and represent cachers of Wessex.

Cache on Wheels
11th November 2013, 11:42 PM
and I absolutely second the nomination for Heather (Cache on Wheels) :applause:

Grateful thanks to Richlay and JackieC for your faith in me I feel I have so much to offer and would be honoured to be a part of the GAGB Committee
I gladly accept.
Thank you
Heather B aka Cache on Wheels

Cornell Finch
12th November 2013, 08:41 AM
I will happily second Fudgeman (Andy) for nomination.

Collin

mollyjak
12th November 2013, 09:16 AM
I'm a GAGB member of some years, and I would like to nominate Fudgeman aka Andy Packer, he's done a tremendous amount of work running events, setting caches, helping newbies, helping people achieve their goals and beyond etc

I believe he'd be an asset to the committee and represent cachers of Wessex.

I second Andy Packer

JackieC
12th November 2013, 10:22 AM
I would like to nominate Richard Lay (Richlay)
:applause:

Cornell Finch
12th November 2013, 10:30 AM

Seconded.

LadybugKids
12th November 2013, 01:48 PM
Puzbie (Dominic Lloyd) - nominated, seconded
Sharant (Sharon Reid) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Poole_Man (Paul Weaver) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Cache on Wheels (Heather Bull) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Fudgeman (Andy Packer) - nominated
As mentioned by Jen in the Original Post (OP), candidates are requested to send me their CV/manifesto, avatar, and passport type photo (send me what you have and I can do the cropping if you need help) as soon as possible at ladybugs@geocachealaska.org. Please include "GAGB Election Materials" on the subject line to help with my e-mail sorting.

As luck would have it, I'll be on the Continent beginning 15 November, so I'd like to have as much of the election ballot and CV thread material compiled as possible before I leave. Thanks, in advance, for helping me front-end load this part of the election effort.

Regards,

Mike/Ladybug Kids
GAGB Returning Officer

LadybugKids
12th November 2013, 04:31 PM
A question about "rules that state how long our manifestos have to be for the GAGB Committee Elections" was asked.

My reply to the sender was bounced by the sender's spam filter, so I will answer in here as well.

"There is no set limit. Some people have written a few sentences, other, several paragraphs.

Last year's manifestos are still posted in the GAGB forums if you want to see examples."

https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4805

Fudgeman
12th November 2013, 05:04 PM
Thank you DorsetGal, Cornell and mollyjak. I accept your nomination and will endeavour to justify your faith in me.

abiherts
12th November 2013, 09:01 PM
How do you become nominated for the election? I would like to offer something back to the geocaching community other than placing hides and the odd article I have written for magazines and the towpath talk newspaper.

Maple Leaf
12th November 2013, 09:16 PM
How do you become nominated for the election? I would like to offer something back to the geocaching community other than placing hides and the odd article I have written for magazines and the towpath talk newspaper.

Hi & thanks for showing an interest in joining the committee.

You just need a fellow GAGB member (joined before 1st October) to nominate you, then another member to second that nomination. Then you need to accept it.

Dorsetgal
12th November 2013, 10:53 PM
I'll happily nominate you abiherts 😊

richlay
12th November 2013, 10:54 PM
I'll happily second. Meanwhile, I'm considering, not ignoring...

abiherts
12th November 2013, 10:56 PM
Thank you Dorsetgal and Richlay, I accept the nomination.

Maple Leaf
13th November 2013, 01:40 PM
A reminder to candidates

I know some of you have already done this and some may have in the last 24hrs (it is still the middle of the night in Alaska), but if you haven't please could you send your photo/avatar and CV/manifesto to Mike (LadyBug Kids) ASAP.

The CVs/manifestos will be put into the forums once we have the final list of candidates and I would like to have these in place ASAP to run alongside the Q&A thread that I will open tomorrow evening/Friday morning.

Also, as Mike has mentioned in his posts, he is travelling to Europe on business on Friday - so we have a very narrow window to get this done in (alongside all the normal pre-travel jobs at home!). I also don't want to have him spending his free time when he is away having to sort out GAGB things - especially when on airport/hotel wifi etc.

Many thanks for your cooperation.

richlay
13th November 2013, 08:17 PM

Seconded.

I have given this due consideration and though I am not sure I have all of the required skills for committee life (notably patience and an ability to bite my tongue), it would be wrong and reasonably hypocritical for me to push for a contested chairman election and then shirk away when the process puts me forward.

Therefore JackieC and Cornell, I humbly accept your nomination and second.

Let's do this thing.

LadybugKids
13th November 2013, 08:34 PM
I updated Jen's latest post with the materials (CV, photo, avatar) I've received as of this morning (Wednesday, Alaska time) from the Committee Candidates. If you sent materials that aren't listed below, please resend them because I didn't find them in my junk and spam folders and sometimes things get lost in the electronic shuffle. If you haven't sent your materials, please do so soon so I can work on them during my long trip from 150°W to 14°E, which begins 1300 GMT Thursday. Chances are I won't be online again until late Friday night.

Please e-mail the files to ladybugs@geocachealaska.org.

Good luck to all the candidates!

mollyak (Lilian Maund) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar

Puzbie (Dominic Lloyd) - nominated, seconded

Sharant (Sharon Reid) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Poole_Man (Paul Weaver) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Cache on Wheels (Heather Bull) - nominated, seconded, accepted
Fudgeman (Andy Packer) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar

Richlay (Richard Lay) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar

abiherts (Abigail Hamilton-Thompson) - nominated, seconded, accepted, CV, photo, avatar

Cornell Finch
13th November 2013, 08:39 PM
I have given this due consideration and though I am not sure I have all of the required skills for committee life (notably patience and an ability to bite my tongue), it would be wrong and reasonably hypocritical for me to push for a contested chairman election and then shirk away when the process puts me forward.

Therefore JackieC and Cornell, I humbly accept your nomination and second.

Let's do this thing.

Rich

Biting one's tongue is often an bad as lashing out, having and sharing one's opinion moves things forward rather than stagnating. I am glad you have accepted, good luck!

Maple Leaf
14th November 2013, 07:19 PM
The nomination period closes at midnight today.

The candidates Q&A thread will then be opened and the CVs/manifestos that have been received will also be posted.

However, as Mike (LadybugKids) is currently on a plane heading east he has forwarded the eight CVs he has already received to me so that I can post these on his behalf.

Therefore, please could the remaining candidates email their CVs/manifestos to me ( mapleleaf.geocaching@yahoo.co.uk ) as well as to LadyBugKids ( ladybugs@geocachealaska.org ) to ensure they are posted as soon as one of us is able to.

Please include "GAGB Election Materials" on the subject line to help with Mike's e-mail sorting.

Maple Leaf
15th November 2013, 12:30 AM
The nomination period for 2013/2014 committee has now closed.

There were 14 nominations but only 13 were accepted.

Therefore, the candidates standing for the 8 committee positions are (in alphabetical order):

*Geocass* (Cass Flowers)
abiherts (Abigail Hamilton-Thompson)
AngoranBob (Colin Thurlbourn)
Cache on Wheels (Heather Bull)
countrymatters (Terry Marsh)
daddyanddude (Dax Wood)
Fudgeman (Andy Packer)
JackieC (Jackie Catterall)
mollyak (Lilian Maund)
Poole_Man (Paul Weaver)
Richlay (Richard Lay)
Sharant (Sharon Reid)
ukcachemag (Adam Redshaw)

The candidates' CV/Manifestos will be posted here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5210). If you haven't done so already, candidates should send their CV/Manifesto, their avatar, and a photo to LadyBugKids at this e-mail address (ladybugs@geocachealaska.org). The information and images will be used in the CV/Manifesto thread and on the ballot.

There is a discussion and Q&A forum for the candidates here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5209)where GAGB members may ask questions of the candidates and read the candidates' responses.

The election of the 8 Committee places will be by SurveyMonkey.com e-mail ballot between Friday 22/11/13 and Saturday 30/11/13 and will be run by Ladybug Kids (Michael Malvick), Independent Returning Officer.

If you have changed your e-mail address during the past month, please send your caching name and old and new e-mail to this e-mail address (ladybugs@geocachealaska.org). This is important because the only way to open a ballot to vote is to click on the unique link in the e-mail that will be sent to you.

Per the GAGB Constitution (https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php), only GAGB members as of 1 October 2013 are eligible to vote and will be able to cast up to 8 votes.