PDA

View Full Version : Maintanance of Caches by finders?

phiggsbroadband
12th November 2013, 03:39 PM
We have all seen some very neglected Caches... Top split, full of rain-water, log a soggy pulp, geo-bits all rusty...
The question is... how much maintenance should each finder do to a poorly cache that he finds?

Should we just dry it out? Maybe tape up the cracked lid, put in a new log-sheet? And swap the rusty items with new trades.
Even put a new cache in place... Or even a new cache in a 'Better','Safer' place?

Ultimately do we replace missing dnf caches with a suitable new alternative .

I wonder what the GAGB take is on this 'Improvement Scheme'...

Cornell Finch
12th November 2013, 04:37 PM
If I find a logbook that's yuk and I can replace it with a good logbook that I am fairly certain won't get wet, then I will.

I won't replace a cache container or swag without the CO confirming first.

I won't replace a DNF cache with a throw down as I can't confirm it's not there, only the CO can confirm that.

At the end of the day it's the CO's responsibility and if they aren't maintaining then the cache should be archived.

Cornell Finch
12th November 2013, 04:39 PM
Of course, if it's a location that the potential finder thinks deserves a decent cache then:

1. Maintain off their own back
Or
2. Raise an NA (having confirmed to the best of your ability that it's not being maintained) and then place a new cache when the old one is archived.

The Bike Cacher
2nd January 2015, 10:20 AM
or you could just say to the owner "Needs Maintenance"