PDA

View Full Version : Another question for the candidates (Mega events)

Dorsetgal
16th November 2013, 01:02 PM
Communication has come up a number of times as being necessary to share the word about GAGB.

Mega events draw geocachers from extremely wide geographic areas, and are a unique type of event in many respects.

What experience does each of you have attending Mega events in particular, and how might GAGB enhance their presence at such events please?

richlay
16th November 2013, 01:56 PM
I spent a week at the Cartmel mega and the side events making it my holiday for the year and had a fabulous time. I plan to do the same at Ayr next year, probably doing Piratemania on the way up and will more than likely do Kent too.

I think on the day at Cartmel the presence was about right though there was probably an opportunity at the side events. It is important to remember that we would be guests of another committee (unless otherwise invited) so I feel understated is best. A presence, a greeting in a t shirt or badge and an availability to communicate is about the right level of involvement.

Of course I would be happy to represent at the events next year.

Sharon - Sharant
16th November 2013, 03:46 PM
I have attended every UK Mega since 2011 and I was vice chair of this year's annual Mega event in Gaydon. The GAGB has had a stand alongside several other vendors mainly associated with geocaching at each of the annual travelling Mega's and a stand at Geolympix last year. I think this is about right, only the larger events need a GAGB stand what is more important is that the GAGB team have a badge or a recognisable t-shirt. Whilst on the UK Mega team I found that meeting cachers whilst caching or chatting at events is the best way to find out cachers ideas and problems whilst publicising the GAGB more throughout our community. Being mobile and chatting means you meet many more people.

mollyjak
16th November 2013, 07:04 PM
I have attended :-
Harrogate
Weston-Super-Mare
Perth
Swansea
Cartmel
Gaydon Annual Megas

3 Piratemanias - where my husband and I were responsible for registration and mega status was achieved.

Hallowe'en 2012

I have manned the GAGB stand with other Committee Members ( some of whom are also up for re-election) at Cartmel and Gaydon where we had the unique 'Cuckoo cache' for discovery, We had a 'Treasure Map' game which involved cachers trying their luck for a variety of prizes. We had GAGB leaflets on the stand and cache labels for sale. The GAGB were invited to be responsible for one of the timetabled sessions and the Committee, led by Maple Leaf, took part in a general discussion followed by Q & A.

I was at the first Hallowe'en Mega with Maple Leaf to answer any questions and distribute leaflets.

The GAGB also have two trackable banners which are taken to a number of camping events - one of which hitches a ride in my caravan :)

Whether I am at a Mega or an event of any size I can often be heard talking about the GAGB and spreading the word :D

Fudgeman
16th November 2013, 07:08 PM
I've attended 4 mega events and have attended 121 events in total.

I think the GAGB presence at the mega events I have been to has been very good but the tendency is to have a table with leaflets and other information on it and then stand behind it. This forms a barrier and can make you seem unapproachable. I would suggest that any display has smaller tables which are set to one side and maybe a leaflet dispenser. This would leave those on the stand free to be approached by anyone wishing to interact.

I also think that as well as mega events it would be worthwhile having a presence at some of the many camping events that take place each year. Some, such as John & Sue Phillimore's June camping event, are often very well attended and the relaxed nature of this type of event where people are there for two or three days may encourage people to approach us more as they would have seen us around the event and got to know us.

Poole_Man
16th November 2013, 07:18 PM
Communication has come up a number of times as being necessary to share the word about GAGB.

Mega events draw geocachers from extremely wide geographic areas, and are a unique type of event in many respects.

What experience does each of you have attending Mega events in particular, and how might GAGB enhance their presence at such events please?

For once a short answer from me. :-)

Having never attended a mega in my geocaching life due to clash of diaries with my business commitments I am unable to answer how GAGB could enhance their presence at such events.

But I do intend to do my best to get to the Kent Mega in 2014, that is either as a GAGB Committee member or an ordinary member of GAGB.

Paul

daddyanddude
17th November 2013, 12:04 PM
Having attended 4 mega events and a there side events, last year having the pleasure or representing the GAGB committee on the stall and as part of the Q & A session I feel we have a good presence at events but we can always go one better. as we don't have regional representation that is the area we need to be pushing, printable leaflets for events to introduce our selves ,the anniversary tags went down great and the trackable banner gets peoples attention . maybe another gagb coin as there is f.b groups dedicated to coin collectors.

countrymatters
17th November 2013, 05:02 PM
I attended Cartmel, but don't have the time to organise visits to other Megas. This may change in future. But I do organise events on the Isle of Skye each year, and an annual walk across Morecambe Bay. I must admit I prefer the smaller, local events, and attend all that I can.

*geocass*
17th November 2013, 05:20 PM
I really enjoy MEGA events and I've attended 6 in the UK:

Wales 2011
PirateMania 5
HH&CC 2012
Piratemania 2013
UK MEGA 2013
Halloween 2013

I've got plans to attend all of the UK MEGAs next year as well. At the 2013 UK MEGA I helped out on the GAGB stall with the map game. It was pretty frantic with many people wanting to play the game so there was little chance to explain about the GAGB to the visitors. I think to better spread the word about the GAGB we could invest in some more merchandise and leaflets. Also having more hands on the GAGB stall at once would help too.

abiherts
17th November 2013, 06:43 PM
I have attended the Geolympix in 2012 and am hoping to attend at least the Mega 2014 in Kent next year. I attended a few events locally this year and am hoping to get to more next year.

JackieC
17th November 2013, 09:29 PM
I've attended 3 megas so far (Weston, Perth, Cartmel), the Perth one I was on the Mega organising team for (as I am for the 2014 Ayrshire mega).

Piratemania and the Halloween megas always seem to clash with events I run/help with in Scotland, so I've never made it to them yet :(

Will be off to Kent with the Ayrshire Mega stand, to publicise the event as I'm a great believer in promotion through meeting people and having a chat.

What the GAGB can do at megas rather does depend on the mega. The annual UK one has more scope than the weekend megas as there is more time to organise an event, but I do think that stands and talks are the best way to promote at a mega.

UKCACHEMAG
19th November 2013, 04:52 PM
I have attended many mega events and plan to be at them all where i can going forward - but that is to promote my magazine where possible.

I am more than happy when there to talk to people about GAGB and to help cover the GAGB stand if i have cover for my own.

If GAGB are not able to have a stand at something I am attending them I am happy to look to include bits on mine if I can.