PDA

View Full Version : New Question (Extreme caching)

Cache U Nutter
18th November 2013, 11:48 AM
Given the huge increase in the number of extreme caches and likewise the increase on participants . Have you much experience in extreme caching and what are your views on supporting it in any way ?

Fudgeman
18th November 2013, 12:36 PM
I've been rock climbing since I was 8 years old and qualified as an assistant instructor at 16 going on to complete my SPSA & instructors qualifications by the time I was 20. I spent over 20 years teaching Scouts of all ages and abilities (including disabled scouts) how to climb and abseil as well as teaching others how to teach before finally leaving Scouting. For a previous job I trained as a tree surgeon and learnt how to climb trees and limb walk and my current job requires an ability to work at height.

Finding caches up trees and off bridges was a natural progression and for me adds an extra dimension to Geocaching. Since extreme caches started to be published I've enjoyed finding them both by myself and with some great cachers including DizzyPair & Mario McTavish. I'm very lucky to live in the same area as Dave so there are plenty of extreme caches on my doorstep as well as near my work in South London (including yours). I also have three tree climbs in the New Forest but sadly these have to be archived due to new FC regulations. I have also taken cachers out to teach them how to set up ropes and climb safely with the appropriate equipment. This had added yet another dimension for me as I get a lot out of sharing my knowledge with others who are interested in having a go.

I believe that, as with all other types of caching, extreme caching deserves representation and where possible inclusion in any land agreements.

mollyjak
18th November 2013, 12:43 PM
Given the huge increase in the number of extreme caches and likewise the increase on participants . Have you much experience in extreme caching and what are your views on supporting it in any way ?

I have no experience at all with extreme caching but have some friends who do - probably due to my age and size - 63 and fat is not conducive :) to it. However I would be happy to stand there and hold coats, take photos or applaud in whichever order.

richlay
18th November 2013, 12:48 PM
If extreme caching is defined as 5/5s, I have 28 of them. If it is measured in altitude, I have 48 finds over 500m. If it's measured in DT grids, I'm a couple of tunnels away from filling it for a third time. I've not done any abseiling for a cache but I've been up a few trees. As I said in my CV, I don't limit myself to one particular aspect of caching, I get stuck in to it all.

In terms of the second half of the question, support in what way? I don't see extreme caching as different to caching. I'm happy to point anybody asking advice on completing an extreme cache to someone that would be able to help them. If someone was to ask about placing one I'd refer them to the guidelines. If that doesn't answer your question fully I'd be glad to fill out if you clarify the support you would be looking for.

Sharon - Sharant
18th November 2013, 04:41 PM
I do enjoy extreme caching and have climbed a few trees but my kids now also want to join in so they are now usually up the trees first. I have done some abseiling but not much. I have found 19 5/5 caches so far most of them exploring the quarries/mines near to Bath, which are fantastic fun.

JackieC
18th November 2013, 09:55 PM
I'm not an extreme cacher, I've only got 4 5/5 caches bagged. I'm more of a social/event cacher.

But each to their own, the 5/5 extreme caches do have a dedicated following and are becoming more and more elaborate.

As long as you know what you're doing and dont try an extreme cache on your own, then good for you! :applause:

*geocass*
19th November 2013, 09:56 AM
My favourite things about caching are the adventures and extreme caches and adventures usually go hand in hand. :D I've climbed quite a few trees, been in a few old mines, quarries, caves, etc. and had so much fun! I've done some wild swimming across the lakes in Cumbria to islands to get caches despite not long learning to swim when I did it, and I've found a few caches by boat. Absolutely brilliant fun!

I've found 13 5/5's and completed my d/t matrix. As long as the cacher finding the extreme cache is doing it safely then extreme caches have my full support.

Dorsetgal
19th November 2013, 02:05 PM
I think the term extreme caching is relative to the ability of the person engaged in the activity.

For me, as a wheelchair dependent cacher, extreme comes at a lower terrain than 5.

However, I must say that I think Fudgeman is hiding his light under a bushel here really as he has assisted and enabled me to achieve success on many caches that I could not have achieved if not for his help. I know he cheerfully does the same for others too.

I think that selfless ability to enjoy the game and also enjoy assisting others to enjoy the game is one of the main reasons I nominated him.

A really dependable team player.

UKCACHEMAG
19th November 2013, 03:44 PM
I am very much a novice with Extreme caches - and am looking to do some basic courses - perhaps GAGB could look to do an "event" that is focused on training some of the basic skills needed for extreme caching?

This is just an early idea stage at the moment but is something I may consider as a project.

Cache U Nutter
20th November 2013, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all you positive replies, some most encouraging and commendable.
I put it to the candidates - what are your feelings about applying pressure on reviewers to be more flexible in regards to cache placement?
For example a cache placed under a bridge ( maybe 5/5) may be a fantastic challenge for Cachers but is not possible as a micro placed on an ivy covered post nearby means the opportunity is lost. Some years ago Groundspeak would have allowed the cache to have been published as it was seen to have been 'pushing the envelope' and we all want more interesting cache placements don't we ?
Candidates responses welcome

richlay
20th November 2013, 12:21 PM
Now there's an interesting debate...

A few things to consider there which may or may not be me playing devil's advocate;

The ivy covered post may be a place of huge significance to somebody. I recently adopted a short series of fairly nondescript caches from a couple who had placed them to celebrate their Golden Wedding anniversary along the route the gent used to take when he was courting his then girlfriend. No way would they describe their caches as meaningless and neither did I, though I guess many might.

How does the person that is restricted to a wheelchair feel about losing an opportunity to find a cache because one has been placed in a position that they are unable to get to?

Is a cache under a bridge really still pushing the envelope? And aren't there loads of other bridges? And what makes it a 5/5 anyway, isn't the difficulty massively overstated?

I guess if I was giving advice to the person who really wanted this publishing I'd be suggesting they prove to the reviewer that a natural barrier (which can be a river or a train line) means that the 0.1 mile rule can be overlooked. I'd tell them to contact the CO of the ivy covered tree and ask them what they plan for their cache in the long term. And as a last resort I'd tell them to watch the other cache and wait for the maintenance logs to come in on them and use the Needs Archiving function.

I kind of like the guidelines the way they are at the moment and I like fairness. If something can be done within the existing guidelines then great, if not move on to another location.

Poole_Man
20th November 2013, 02:12 PM

I have no experience in extreme caching but this is only due to the limitations I physically have in being able to do them.

I would support any extreme caching that may be done providing it ticks all the boxes on safety and compliance with a landowners rules set for an area where known.

Paul

Fudgeman
20th November 2013, 02:29 PM
I think that the problem is not with the reviewers who can only act on the guidelines given them but with Groundspeak who set the guidelines. I would fully support a reduction in proximity when one cache 'pushes the envelope' and the other doesn't but I wouldn't advocate the archiving one in favour of the other. I would certainly be in favour of making a representation to Groundspeak to see if we could get the rules changed. This would probably work better if we could co-ordinate it with other representative bodies from around the world.

abiherts
21st November 2013, 05:53 PM
I've only climbed a few trees and crawled down some storm drains so haven't done much in the way of extreme caching but would like to widen my experiences in the future particularly after reading Cass's blog.

richlay
25th November 2013, 05:08 PM
Stop press, third DT loop completed, though the D3T5 cache I found to finish it was neither extreme nor pushing the envelope...

Cache on Wheels
27th November 2013, 12:24 AM
I don't have experience as an extreme cacher.
However, prior to physical disabilities. I gained a lot of experience with rock climbing, abseiling, pot holing as well as canoeing, karate and even banger racing.

It was such a thrill to join in such activities and something I miss terribly.

I may be unable to assist with any climbing but am happy to join others where possible to watch, encourage, take photos and be on hand to call for help if needed.

It's great that there are cachers qualified who are so passionate about helping others with extreme caches :)

When you've rigged up something to help people like myself join in, please do let me know :) :)
Heather