PDA

View Full Version : Question for the New Committee (Commerical Business links)

The_Street_Searchers
18th November 2013, 12:55 PM
Do any of you have commercial business linked to geocaching?

If so....

1) how will you ensure the GAGB does not become an extension of your advertising?

2) how will you encourage / support / allow other businesses that operate in your market space which may benifit GAGB members?

For other committee members and chair person - Do you view it as a conflict of interest that GAGB committee members have commercial businesses linked to geocaching?

Thanks

Chris

richlay
18th November 2013, 01:14 PM
I nominated Adam who runs UKCacheMag. I don't see it as a conflict of interest, I see it as an opportunity to get the GAGB message out to his readers. I hope that he would do that whatever the outcome ;)

I would like to think that all of the nominees would play the game fairly but I'd have no qualms in telling them if I thought they weren't.

Fudgeman
18th November 2013, 02:30 PM
I don't have links to any commercial business.

I think it would be a mistake to have a commercial interest linked to Geocaching whilst on the committee as any interaction between the two could then be misconstrued.

daddyanddude
18th November 2013, 04:15 PM
I run a geocaching shop... I don't see any conflict I encourage people to join the gagb and have signs in the shop and a leaflet that promote the gagb . I also think it is a good idea for the gagb to have a web shop selling merchandise to raise funds.

The_Street_Searchers
18th November 2013, 04:44 PM
I run a geocaching shop... I don't see any conflict I encourage people to join the gagb and have signs in the shop and a leaflet that promote the gagb . I also think it is a good idea for the gagb to have a web shop selling merchandise to raise funds.

And would you propose to run that from your own shop?

daddyanddude
18th November 2013, 04:52 PM
And would you propose to run that from your own shop?

NO the gagb would run it on their website,

Sharon - Sharant
18th November 2013, 04:56 PM
I do not have any personal commercial business linked to geocaching.
I do not see it as a problem so long as each GAGB committee member discloses their geocaching commercial interests.

Poole_Man
18th November 2013, 07:14 PM
Do any of you have commercial business linked to geocaching?

If so....

1) how will you ensure the GAGB does not become an extension of your advertising?

2) how will you encourage / support / allow other businesses that operate in your market space which may benifit GAGB members?

For other committee members and chair person - Do you view it as a conflict of interest that GAGB committee members have commercial businesses linked to geocaching?

Thanks

Chris

At this time I do not have a business directly related to Geocaching, this may change in the future but if it does I will report this as a confidential item to the GAGB Chairman.

I have business interests jointly with two other directors, who are not members of my family and not active in Geocaching, in a web design and hosting business which is where my experience in web design comes from.

We are proud to say that as a company we work ethically in everything we do when trying to obtain work from any individual, company or organization.

I would not use GAGB in anyway to make a financial gain for the web design business as that would be unethical and a conflict of interest.

In the spirit of full disclosure to a would be client I would state that I am a member of the Committee only if for reasons of trying to get my client to add links to their website to the GAGB website, Facebook or Twitter or to get the client to possibly work with GAGB.

I would report any such contact with a client in confidential memo to the GAGB Chairman.

I would like to think that all other Committee members would have the same views as me and report any interests or approaches to the GAGB Chairman in confidence.

Paul

mollyjak
18th November 2013, 07:38 PM
I do not have a commercial business linked to geocaching. I do, however make camo bags which I use/give to event organisers as raffle prizes, tombola prizes, etc. in order to help raise funds.
These have included donations to annual megas, the S Wales events since 2007, three Pirtemanias, three Wild West/Christmas events. Every now and again I do sell som and keep the money to purchase thread, material, etc so that I can keep making them.

They have also been used as prizes on the GAGB stand at Cartmel and Gaydon.

There hasn't been any conflict of interest in the two years I have been on the Committee and I don't see there being one. It could in fact work the other way - if a Committee Member had a contact to purchase pencils with the GAGB logo or name on, or lanyards, or note books or whatever could be used for caching - they may be able to negotiate a better price for the GAGB. The GAGB could benefit from a better price using the Commercial Links.
If we opened an online shop I would like to make the camo bags which would be offered for sale - I could provide them at a reasonable price and the GAGB would benefit from the sale.

JackieC
18th November 2013, 09:50 PM
No commercial links to geocaching.

My day job is a civil servant, so no caching links there.

I do organise stuff for the Scottish geocachers, tops with logos on, but these are all done at cost, its not a business.
Oh, and I made a few batches of calendars for previous UK megas, all completely donated, so no costs or proceeds taken.
The only other thing that could be taken as 'business' is that I've been selling Mega Ayrshire merchandise at local events.

*geocass*
19th November 2013, 11:57 AM

I don't have any commercial business linked to caching, however I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing if a committee member does have such a thing as it could help towards promoting the GAGB.

Dorsetgal
19th November 2013, 01:52 PM
At this time I do not have a business directly related to Geocaching, this may change in the future but if it does I will report this as a confidential item to the GAGB Chairman.

Why confidentially please?

UKCACHEMAG
19th November 2013, 03:49 PM
Many of you know I run a magazine all about geocaching - I do this to promote the hobby and have offered many times to do what I can to promote GAGB in that magazine, as i do for events and retailers.

I get invited to speak at a number of events about geocaching and would also promote GAGB in the same way.

Poole_Man
19th November 2013, 09:34 PM
Why confidentially please?

The details of the privately owned business which I am a Director of would require information passed to GAGB to be kept confidential where it concerns another business we are working with.

But if elected to the GAGB Committee I am willing while in post to let the Chair know of anything that might be deemed to be a conflict of interest if I wasn't to inform GAGB.

I would not expect GAGB to reveal information provided, I would expect it to be kept confidential, and I am sure any client of the company wouldn't wish to have me publicly divulge their business.

Paul

abiherts
21st November 2013, 05:59 PM
I do not run any commercial business but think that the committee should be kept informed of anyone on the team who does just incase of any conflict.