PDA

View Full Version : Question for candidates - Acting as GAGB spokesmen with the press

Poole_Man
20th November 2013, 01:01 AM
An extremely important aspect of working with the press is to be able to provide a spokesmen to act as the 'official voice' of any organization when the press wants interviews and comments.

Would you be willing to be added to a list of GAGB Committee members who would be willing to act as an official GAGB spokesman?

If yes, what would make you ideal to act as an official GAGB spokesman?

Fudgeman
20th November 2013, 07:03 AM
I would be happy to act as a press officer/spokesman when interaction with the press is needed.

For my current role in my job I've had training in dealing with the press and have given several press releases to local and national newspapers as well as an interview with the local tv news.

JackieC
20th November 2013, 07:14 PM
I'd rather the official spokesperson is the GAGB chair, and all press communications come from her.

But if I'm needed to (for some reason) then I've no problem being a spokesperson.

mollyjak
20th November 2013, 08:06 PM
I have no interest in being the spoke person representing the GAGB as I believe it should be the Chair's responsibility.

Sharon - Sharant
20th November 2013, 08:34 PM
I would have no interest in taking up this role, I would assume that the GAGB spokesperson with the press sounds like the chairs responsibility.

daddyanddude
21st November 2013, 04:41 PM
The spokesperson for the GAGB should always be the chairperson......

abiherts
21st November 2013, 05:29 PM
I too believe that the official spokesperson for the GAGB should be the chair.

Poole_Man
21st November 2013, 06:35 PM
An extremely important aspect of working with the press is to be able to provide a spokesmen to act as the 'official voice' of any organization when the press wants interviews and comments.

Would you be willing to be added to a list of GAGB Committee members who would be willing to act as an official GAGB spokesman?

If yes, what would make you ideal to act as an official GAGB spokesman?

I know I asked the original question but now I would like to give my own answer to it:

I wouldn't want to act as the GAGB spokesman but I think it would be a good idea if we had a person on the Committee who is trained to work with the media if that person be asked to be the GAGB spokesman.

My thinking behind this is it takes a person specially trained to work with the media to know how the media works, to know how to make a story work for the media, and thus get coverage of a subject by the media.

Remember every organization is potentially competing for its 3 minutes on the news programme on TV or even less time on radio news or for their column inches in traditional print media.

And of course on top of that there are the special needs of the Geocaching and/or online media which alone takes a special approach.

Working with the media especially when they have deadlines and often their own agenda when asking questions requires a certain type of person.

Training to deal with the media could help change bad press to good press or even get us some press when otherwise GAGB is ignored.

Paul

Maple Leaf
23rd November 2013, 12:56 PM
It had been agreed by the committee (probably at the first committee meeting last year) that I, as Chairman, would be the official contact this year. However, this is not always possible due to circumstances.

This is very topical following the incident (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5237)with the geocacher being trampled by cows in Lincs last weekend and I am greatful to Bobo Frett for taking the time yesterday to be interviewed by BBC Look North on behalf of the GAGB - another benefit of having committee members located around the country.