PDA

View Full Version : 2014/2015 GAGB Chairman Nominations

LadybugKids
18th October 2014, 12:04 AM
Hello GAGB Members:

The nomination period for the position of GAGB Chairman for 2014/2015 is now open.

All GAGB members who joined before 1st October 2014, are eligible to nominate another member or second a nomination. Members who have been nominated and seconded are asked to accept or decline their nomination in this thread.

This thread will be locked at the end of the nominations period and anyone who has not been seconded and accepted during this period will not be considered as a candidate for election.

Nominations for Chairman open: Saturday, 18th October 2014
Close of nominations for Chairman: Friday, 24th October 2014
Election for Chairman: Saturday through Thursday, 1st through 6th November 2014

Candidates for the Chairman position are requested to send their manifesto, photo (passport style) and geocaching avatar (if they have one) to me, Michael Malvick (Ladybug Kids), GAGB Independent Returning Officer (ladybugs@geocachealaska.org (ladybugs@geocachealaska.org)) by midnight, Saturday, 25 October 2014.

After the nomination period has closed nominee manifestos, photos, and avatars will be posted in a locked ‘Candidates for 2014/2015 Chairman Elections’ thread as well as on the ballot so you may read about why each candidate is standing for election and the skills they would bring to the Committee if elected.

A ‘Chairman Candidates (2014/2015) - Q&A’ thread will be opened around the same time.

More information about the annual elections can be found in the GAGB Constitution (Section N) (https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php) and Seeker issue 22 (https://www.gagb.org.uk/news-list.php?tag=Seeker) (and the forthcoming issue 23).

In the meantime, it is absolutely critical that you work with your internet service provider (ISP) to white list e-mails coming from the gagb.org.uk, geocachealaska.org and surveymonkey.com domains so you receive election news and ballots.

At your service,

Michael Malvick/Ladybug Kids
GAGB Returning Officer

P.S. - The urls are different from last year (due to the new website) – just in case you copied and pasted or bookmarked any bits and pieces from things last year

https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php (https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php)

https://www.gagb.org.uk/news-list.php?tag=Seeker (https://www.gagb.org.uk/news-list.php?tag=Seeker)

richlay
18th October 2014, 01:11 AM
I would like to nominate Maple Leaf to continue in the role of Chair for the next year.

Write and Mane
18th October 2014, 09:51 AM
We are pleased to second Maple Leaf's nomination.

geocaching womble
18th October 2014, 07:56 PM
Thirded as Jen has done a brilliant job

Thanks
Dominic

countrymatters
21st October 2014, 09:45 AM
Jen has been seconded and thirded, but I don't mind 'fourthing' my support. She's done a great job under sometimes trying circumstances.:socool:

Maple Leaf
21st October 2014, 05:34 PM
I would like to nominate Maple Leaf to continue in the role of Chair for the next year.

We are pleased to second Maple Leaf's nomination.

Thank you for the nomination/second and kind words from geocaching womble & countrymatters.

I would like to accept the nomination and stand for the Chairman position again as would really like to see the projects and ideas that we are currently working on completed.

Poole_Man
24th October 2014, 06:12 PM
How do we know the current nominations will produce the best person available for the job of chair of GAGB when all potential candidates have not recieved official notification of the elections and therefore have not been able to decide if they wish to stand?

I am not attacking an indivdual but I am concerned that due to the failures of the systems to send official notifications to all GAGB members that the current election procedures should be declared invalid and restarted.

Also how many members does GAGB have?

I believe that there is a quoted figure of 700 new members but I have seen no overal membership numbers or the numbers of members who have resigned from GAGB in the period since the last report.

We are therefore unable to properly guage the health of our organisation which as a membership group should by gauged by many things but primarily the number of people who are GAGB members.

Both the Geocaching addresses I use are recieiving emails normally and I recieve emails to them daily.

Regards

Paul

richlay
24th October 2014, 06:20 PM
For a kick off, they would be nominated and seconded, they wouldn't just wish to stand. The election process has been detailed in several places including our forum, groundspeak's forum and Facebook. I find it highly unlikely that anybody with any interest in a process that happens at the same time every year, and the nominator and seconder, would be unaware of the dates.

Poole_Man
24th October 2014, 06:55 PM
Even if I did know which I didn't I am concerned that there is a problem with getting the emails to me as I see this as a potential for the important email with the voting link getting misdirected.

Having recieved no offical email I just didn't think we had got to the elections yet, I trusted GAGB to have an effective official communications system.

Without the official emails with the link to the voting form I won't be able to vote either.

:(

richlay
24th October 2014, 07:03 PM
You replied to a thread on the election process being opened on the day the election process opened. And you know the link to vote comes from the returning officer and survey monkey, not from the GAGB.

Poole_Man
24th October 2014, 07:19 PM
How many threads are there, this is Mike's thread, I don't remember where I actually posted?

Maple Leaf
24th October 2014, 07:36 PM
Even if I did know which I didn't I am concerned that there is a problem with getting the emails to me as I see this as a potential for the important email with the voting link getting misdirected.

Having recieved no offical email I just didn't think we had got to the elections yet, I trusted GAGB to have an effective official communications system.

Without the official emails with the link to the voting form I won't be able to vote either.

:(

As Richlay has said, I would also assume that anyone interested in standing for either Chairman or Committee would be aware of what is happening on a regular basis within the GAGB.

I would also expect they would be a reader of the bi-monthly Seeker (even if hadn't been receiving the emails). The September magazine which was added to the members forum on 1st September had a page about the forthcoming elections with all the dates.

A post was also put on the GAGB Facebook & Twitter on 23rd Sept. On the GAGB website (News) on 28th September as well as being posted on GAGB forums, Groundspeak forums and Facebook on the 28th September.

You acknowledged (Thanked on 12th October) the post in this forum announcing the dates (link to post (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5455)) so I assume you read it.

If nominations exceed places, the Chairman and/or Committee places will go to vote. If that happens, the emails with a link to your personal ballot will come from SurveyMonkey (not the GAGB website). At the same time, the Returning Officer will post in this forum to say they have gone out so that people can look out for them. Anyone that doesn't receive a ballot is always able to email the returning officer with their vote.

Poole_Man
24th October 2014, 07:42 PM
I stand corrected on not having seen the post by you but more of concern is I didn't see anything from Mike.

He is the one who will acutally send out the voting links etc., and from what I understand will come from an address from which I should have recieved the Seeker posts and the GAGB posts. I have recieved none of these.

Where will Mike get the email addresses from and how which he put into the Surveymonkey?

Maple Leaf
24th October 2014, 08:08 PM
There haven't been any emails sent by our Returning Officer (LadybugKids/Mike) yet.

If the Chairman position goes to election (nomination period is still open), then on 1st November, LadybugKids will send the ballots out using SurveyMonkey (not using the address used to send out Seeker). Cass, as webmaster, generates the list (of GAGB members prior to 1st Oct excluding those that have opted out) that Mike adds to SurveyMonkey.

LadybugKids
25th October 2014, 12:11 AM
2014/2015 GAGB Chairman Nominations are now closed.

Jen Harley/Maple Leaf was the only candidate to be nominated for GAGB Chairman and she accepted the nomination.

Because Jen is standing unopposed, the election for Chairman will not go to ballot.

Stay tuned for news in a new thread regarding the nominations for the 2014/2015 GAGB Committee, which will open on Saturday, 8 November.

Cache on Wheels
25th October 2014, 12:41 AM
Congratulations Jen aka Maple Leaf :socool:

Maple Leaf
25th October 2014, 07:22 AM
Thank you - I look forward to the following year as Chairman and to continue with the new projects that the committee have started this year.

As Ladybug Kids has said, the Committee nomination period will open on 8th November and I am looking forward to finding out who will potentially be joining me next year.