PDA

View Full Version : Candidate Manifestos for 2017/2018 Committee Election

LadybugKids
14th November 2017, 12:46 AM
This thread is for the CV/Manifestos of the candidates and will be locked.

All candidates are requested to send their manifesto, photo, and avatar to me at ladybugs at geocachealaska dot org for posting in the manifesto thread and on the ballot.

There is a discussion and Q&A forum here (https://www.gagb.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?5990-Committee-Candidates-(2017-2018)-Q-amp-A&p=81799#post81799).

The ten candidates standing in the 2017/2018 Executive Committee are (in alphabetical order):

GCHarribo (Harri Boorman) - manifesto, photo received
Griff Grof (Arthur Griffiths) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received
Grahamthegray (Graham Haddock) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received
Abiherts (Abigail Hamilton-Thompson)
Leonards193 (Kim Leonard) - manifesto and photo received
Geocaching Womble (Dominic Murray ) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received
UKCACHEMAG (Adam Redshaw) - manifesto and photo received
Antreid (Ant Reid) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received
Geopaul the vlogger/Dr. Evil. (Paul Standen) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received
Border Caz (Caz Turver) - manifesto, photo, and avatar received

The election of the eight Committee places will be by SurveyMonkey email ballot during Tuesday-Sunday, 21-26, November 2015, and will be run by me who is serving as your Independent Returning Officer.

Each eligible GAGB member (prior to 1st Oct) will be able to cast a maximum of 8 votes (as per the Constitution (https://www.gagb.org.uk/constitution.php) - Section N)

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 05:35 AM
Hi my name is Harri (GCHarribo) and I’m nearly 15. I live in Hastings, in the south east of England, and I’ve been geocaching since 2012. The hobby has taken me to some lovely places like seeing Niagara Falls, going to New Zealand and starting up a YouTube channel. I have just past the 550 find mark and have hidden almost 50 caches. I own a Geocaching series which are made of different materials for example a fake stick, a fake rock and some 3D printed containers.

I would like the opportunity to be on the GAGB committee. I would like to spread the word of Geocaching to the public through the use of social media.

I have already hosted a GAGB CITO at my local nature reserve, and hope to carry on hosting other GAGB events in my local area.

I'm planning to attend the megas next year; geolympix and Yorkshire Mega.

Many thanks for reading this manifesto, and thanks for your vote.

Cheers

Harri (GCHarribo)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/b2cad601-aa83-466f-988d-9cdf92ea9bcc.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 07:49 AM
I’m Arthur (Griff Grof), I live in the Cotswolds and I’ve been caching since March 2010. It has been an honour to serve on the GAGB committee for the past two years and I am pleased to have been nominated again.

My role has been webmaster and social media lead since 2015. Throughout my time on the committee, I have authored six new Help pages on the GAGB website, and I have rewritten and updated others. I have overseen the running of our social media channels, posting as frequently as possible. This year, I devised and helped coordinate the design and launch of our photo competition. Whilst we are now accepting photos, the plan is to properly launch and promote it next month. I am glad that the GAGB has held almost ten roving events since I was elected into office, as this was an idea I initially proposed. I feel that we have made progress in addressing the key issues highlighted in the member survey we ran at the beginning of my first term. I hope you agree.

If re-elected, I would like to continue as webmaster. I hope to be able to launch our new homepage, featuring a new, exciting ‘GAGB Hub’. I would also seek to continue to update page content on a regular basis, and improve the site in any way I can. As part of this role, I am eager to continue as social media lead, increasing our interaction with members and perhaps launching GAGB on new platforms. I am keen to oversee the photo competition until its conclusion in April. I would be more than willing to help other committee members if needed, and I feel I have a comprehensive understanding of the workings of the GAGB to do so.

But my aim and vision for the GAGB goes far beyond this. So much more still needs to be done.

First, I would like to help update the constitution; I already have several potential modifications and additions in mind. I would really enjoy contributing to this, and it would be a privilege to be involved. Second, I would like to see the committee divided into sub-groups, so that decision-making can be more efficient and effective between each meeting. This framework was introduced last year but it did not succeed. I would like to try and make this idea work in practice, so that the same discussions and decisions do not roll over from one committee meeting to the next, with little progress in between. Of course, the whole committee would still have a say - the sub-groups would simply coordinate and develop ideas between meetings and report their progress to the committee for a full discussion. Third, I would like to develop the ‘GAGB Friends’ programme, in which members sign up to express an interest in helping the GAGB. We began working on this last year, and I am happy to see it through.

I feel that I would bring great enthusiasm, ambition and passion to the GAGB committee. I would endeavour to see the GAGB continue to grow and flourish: it would be great to raise its profile even further. In the past, I have thoroughly enjoyed proposing ideas in meetings, completing tasks and helping the wider committee wherever I can. I would relish the opportunity to continue to play a part in the important work GAGB does - so much goes on behind the scenes. I am certain that the committee will achieve many fantastic things in the coming year, and I would love to be a part of it - it would be an honour.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/46a5e5ec-cd07-4cfa-908b-8e9a080e0147.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/66c23a12-dbbd-4528-ac6e-f642a90d8b58.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 07:51 AM
Hi I’m Graham or Gray and hence the name caching name GrahamTheGray, I’m from South Staffordshire and have been caching since 2010 and have nearly 7000 finds, I like to enjoy walks around the countryside started out as a lone cacher but in recent years have teamed up with a number of local cachers, and I do love a puzzle cache. Can often been seen taking pictures of the landscape, buildings and interesting fauna a few of these have made it into Seeker and regularly onto the Instagram feed. I have background in IT and websites but no longer working in that field. As a member of the GAGB in the coming year I intend to continue on what I was doing and you probably wonder what that is. Well I help look after the website, I set up the new users, deal with those members who have account issues or wish to cancel them and I will continue to do this along with website maintenance and code changes and content changes, next year plans are to make some further improvements and continued accessibility improvements, to engage with the community to see what ideas and improvements they have for the GAGB website. As well as to more actively involved in putting articles together for Seeker magazine and helping out again with the design process of next year’s coin. Hopefully you should see me at a few more events in the coming year.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/dd12da0f-e974-486e-83bf-6b43e1c5ab51.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/1a43d9f4-9790-41cf-a3aa-aafdb8b1aa07.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 07:52 AM
Having been on the committee for just over a year I have come to realise the valuable work that the GAGB puts into maintaining landowner databases and as a UK based contact between the public and geocachers. I have enjoyed promoting the GAGB at the Scout Reunion and at the Caldeonian Cachefest but feel that the committee needs to expand upon their current social media presence and reach out to as many UK cachers as possible. Some cachers have described the GAGB as a 'political body' and I think this needs to be seriously addressed by the next committee.

Over the past year I have been editor for Seeker but unfortunately ill health meant I was not able to devote as much time as needed to the role. Thanks to Ant for stepping in. Now on the mend, I would prefer the role of answering general enquiries or secretary if elected. I am recognised locally as a committee member in the Home Counties and London and would love to take this further by holding a GAGB event in the capital. In my other voluntary role I'm a health walks volunteer so am sure that this skill would also contribute towards the GAGB as geocaching can produce a huge range of health benefits.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/9d2e7005-c22b-4044-83cf-739bd89f7d38.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 07:53 AM
Hello, my name is Kim, I live just North of Bristol.

I have been on the committee for a few years and I would like to carry on in my capacity as shop manager if re-elected.

I would like to offer consistency to the committee, particularly developing the next National Park Geocoin as well as other products for the shop and hosting or attending events to promote the GAGB.

Many thanks for reading,

Kim

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/3312c948-4f7d-42c2-ab88-948672e191a9.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 07:55 AM
I'm standing for election to the GAGB because I want to help in the best way I can to move the GAGB forward into 2018.

I want to make the GAGB relevant again to the average geocacher, on the street or in the field.

If I am elected I will be active in GAGB recruitment and I will look to revitalise the Seeker magazine and continue to make it a publication to be proud of.

I want to support the GAGB to become a guiding light for new geocachers once again.

I would like to positively engage new members with a regular question and answers session for beginners and newbies.

I would like to work with Adam Redshaw (UK Cache mag) to get the seeker magazine a wider distribution and hopefully encourage new members to join and engage with the community

I come from a forum moderation background and I have been on the OC UK management team since 2010. During this time I approved a large number of caches, so I am well aware of the guidelines for placing caches. I would like to review the current regulations and see if they are still relevant, if they are not I would like to update them for a changing landscape. I have also spent a considerable amount of time assisting the GAGB in the cache rules consultation group. I am looking for a new challenge by joining the GAGB Committee.

Dominic M.Murray

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/dfcba6b4-3509-4ed3-be13-482d28c2ffa3.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/732b6014-0857-43e3-ae32-919dfe5f0322.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 08:00 AM
Why would I like to re-stand as part of the GAGB?

As perhaps one of the longest standing members I have a bit of background knowledge on many of the aspects we have faced, and have that experience to share.

I have been one of the key players in planting seed on working with people like the YHA on events, and we have seen two successful ones already this year.

With the work that I do with my own magazine, I am often in contact with people that make good alliances for the GAGB and I have started to make some noises and getting geocaching talked about at a higher level within the outdoor industry community in terms of travel and tourism and mental health.

This also includes many the landowners we have agreements with who have now been able to put a face with geocachers and the GAGB.

I feel like I have given so many ideas and sparked so much already that I need to complete on what I have started – or at least take them as far as they are able to go.

A key area I hope to focus on should I be re-elected is roving events, creating the first every AGM for the GAGB and look at making us a much more recognized organizational structure – perhaps even by becoming a Community Initiative Company. I would also like to try and work much more on the land owner database.

Kind regards,

Adam – UK Cache Mag

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/bb6b11ed-56d1-4f62-afea-ea426e6792d5.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 08:03 AM
In the last year I feel GAGB’s profile as public-facing team has really taken off, and I’ve seen several of the committee really pull together to make the GAGB into an association relevant to today - a strong social media presence, roving events, media appearances, and deeper involvement in supporting other geocaching teams - especially working with others to organise events that welcome both new and existing geocachers!

Griff grof came up with the idea of Roving events - most of them have been a great success and I’d like to see that continue and strengthen - every committee member should aim to host something that brings GAGB to their own area, and they should work with ‘friends’ of GAGB to help them get as good an event as possible.

Seeker is very important for GAGB and I’d like to see a strong editor run it this year. We all know I can do it, but I’m happy to help someone else to do it in 2018, and as with last year I’ll be happy to step in if it doesn’t happen. If I am elected, and if I do end up as Editor again, please if you have Publisher skills get in touch and help us out with the publishing, and if you have nice photos send ‘em in to us!

I’ll be honest - I lack even an iota of visual design skills and if elected I promise to stay completely clear of the design of tags, coins, business cards and so on. As long as they seem to me to be likely to be wanted - commercially viable - I’ll support them as an investment, but GAGB isn’t here to raise money, we’re here to promote geocaching values, and unless we achieve that, we shouldn't’ get distracted into money-raising ventures.

I believe GAGB’s constitution doesn’t suit the organisation as well as it might, and I’d like to see it morph. Some simple ideas: a minimum number or proportion of votes for a candidate to be elected, longer terms of ‘office’ for the Chair, direct elections to Treasurer and Secretary. Beyond that it gets complicated and if elected I’ll research options and seek advice. I recognise that we can’t be a charity, but I do believe that we have community interests at heart and think we can adjust our structure to recognise that more formally, and more easily get a team that makes that more achievable as well as better protect the assets that GAGB already has amassed. Whether I am elected or not, I’ll push for a change to GAGB’s constitution based on my observations in the last couple of years.

What have I done? I’ll allow you to read my own annual report in Seeker and I encourage you all to read every annual report of those committee members seeking re-election as well as the manifestoes of new folk - question people on their track record and proven ability to do what they say they’ll do. Please vote for people who you believe will be able to put in the energy and actively work to make things happen - it’s not the time spent or meetings attended so much as the achievements that I like to see!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/6c502a3d-f7ba-4546-9ce3-d9876e015ad6.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/7a45bd25-afc5-493a-b05e-c46be49976c0.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 08:06 AM
Hi! I’m Paul aka Dr Evil. I live in Caterham in the south-east region. I’m a dad of two children aged 4 and 9 and I’m married to Laura who is also a geocacher.

I started caching in 2011 and it has taken me to some interesting locations I would have not found otherwise, I’ve held events in lots of various locations in the UK and a few overseas.

I’m very passionate about caching and helped many a newbie/muggle over the years. I also created a YouTube channel to show and share my adventures online, this has grown to a point where I’m more well known as GeoPaul rather than Dr Evil. My weekly videos are regularly watched in 24 countries around the world. My videos show off unique hides, tips and tricks, gear reviews and we hold geocaching competitions.

In 2013 I was named geocacher of the month by geocaching HQ, I was the first person in the whole of the UK to win this award, people voted for me because I’m approachable, fun, helpful and hide fun caches.

I love geocaching events and I hold a monthly coffee morning event called the Wake-UP Call, we usually hold them in coffee shops/cafes all over Surrey and Greater London.

I have placed 186 caches out in the wild, I have hidden a few Side-Tracked caches and a church micro in there too. I do like to hide a cache involving WW2 history.

I would like to try and improve the image of the GAGB and be available as a point of contact where needed. I have years of experience of social media and I feel I could bring what I have learned to improve the GAGB’s online social presence.

I am honoured to be nominated to stand for this year’s election.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/11403dde-37dd-456f-b568-e790294e545a.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/1d6677ce-76f1-4251-b408-e54a13d0c4d5.jpg

LadybugKids
15th November 2017, 08:08 AM
Most people call me Caz – but my sunday name is Caroline. I am Border Caz because I live very close to the border with North Wales so my “local” caching adventures have taken me backwards and forwards across the border many times, indeed 10 of the 74 the caches I have owned have been in Wales.

I am a widow and now mostly retired from paid employment; I have two grown up children but live alone with Reg, my Springer spaniel, who likes going out for walks in the country.

I found my first caches in July 2009 but I'm not a numbers chaser so only have 4,482 finds under my belt. Particular favourites of mine are those based on history and I do enjoy many urban caches for that reason. There's something very satisfying about completing a long multi in a town or city. My other hobby is travelling around in my campervan and I find the two activivities complement each other very well, both take me to interesting places and have a good social scene where I have made many good friends.

In 2011 I was one of the founding members of the committee which we set up to plan and bring to fruition the 2013 West Midlands Mega. I took on the duties of Treasurer on that Committee and was happy to take on the same role on the GAGB committee when I joined it this time last year, as I have a background in finance from my working life. I have enjoyed my year on the Committee, keeping the money in order and representing GAGB at a number of events including GAGB events and the Kent, Piratemania and Devon Megas.

Thank you for nominating me to stand again for the Committee, I would love to be elected so that I can continue to act as Treasurer and represent GAGB in the wider geocaching community. My own personal aims are for the GAGB to become more widely known amongst cachers, for them to know and understand what we do and how we can help them, and encourage a growth in membership – the larger the membership, the stronger the organisation can become.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/2d5df12a-7612-482f-8307-166d0dd787fe.jpg https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/88e54c44-ed05-4bca-b12e-f39e7bb05212.jpg