PDA

View Full Version : Question 14 - The future of GAGB? Your ideal vision?

UKCACHEMAG
20th November 2017, 04:48 PM
I have been thinking about this for a while now - and perhaps we don't all have the same idea of a future for GAGB so perhaps we should share our thoughts and ideal vision. I would like to see the GAGB as a big organisation respected and valued by many people - within and outside of the Geocaching community.

I would like to see face to face meetings of the committee, perhaps along side the roving events we do.

I would like to see smaller regional bodies come together under the bigger GAGB banner / organisation.

I would like to see people stand and be elected and accountable for specific roles.

This is a long way from where we are now, and will take a lot of hard work and growth. It will take a lot of people working together.

I am interested to know what other people have as a vision or future for GAGB.

GCHarribo
20th November 2017, 04:53 PM
I feel we need small members of Geocacher’s from each region and connect with them. I feel we need to do more GAGB events and I want to minimise the feeling of people not wanting to find a cache due to muggles and landowners permission etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

border caz
20th November 2017, 05:30 PM
I agree with your vision, Adam - "the GAGB as a big organisation respected and valued by many people - within and outside of the Geocaching community".

That pretty well sums up what I would like to see achieved.

Regional GAGB groups would be a start; I would also like to see the Annual UK Mega under the GAGB banner.

geocaching womble
20th November 2017, 05:54 PM
That's a good question

To be honest Adam I agree with vision I would also like to include regional caching groups under the GAGB banner and Caz I agree with you I would also like to see the UK Mega under the GAGB banner. I also think also that all groups should have a fair say in the GAGB and would work to do that

Leonards193
20th November 2017, 06:39 PM
Yes, I would also like face to face meetings as well as an AGM which could be hosted around the country (a bit like the annual reviewer meets that are hosted by a different reviewer each year), meet the committee events etc...

Being a well respected association within the caching group community and within the wider community would be good, maybe Adam's proposals of being recognised by Sports England are good and grants would even become available to us.

The more members realise we are a valuable resource, the more we will hopefully be respected. I am proud the be a
GAGB member and would like others to feel that sense of belonging too.

Antreid
20th November 2017, 08:04 PM
No volunteer organisation works from the top down. GAGB will only become 'large' if many people see the value of banding together. Let's start small.

If in a year's time we have a band of a dozen or two 'friends' who use their GAGB status to help newbies, look out for landowner agreements, arrange CITOs, or raise the profile of events in their areas, then we're doing well. Building up a formal regional structure sounds a bit ambitious, given our track record of activity (LOL).

I guess the skeptic is leaking through here...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Griff Grof
20th November 2017, 08:25 PM
I too would like to see the "GAGB as a big organisation respected and valued by many people - within and outside of the Geocaching community".

I agree that we should have face to face meetings, but I think the online meetings are convenient. I would like a face to face meeting at the AGM, at least. Here, I think there should be at least one executive committee meeting, and several meetings open to all our members.

In the future, I think we should have regional GAGB Friends (one for each region, e.g. Scotland, North West England, South West England, Wales, Northern Ireland, to name a few) in charge of GAGB operations, accountable to a member on the elected executive committee (a new committee post would be created for this individual), responsible for overseeing their work and acting on feedback etc. that the regional representatives receive. I would not want the creation of representative posts to undermine or replace the work of the committee - they would just to be there to help, and to provide a presence for the GAGB across the UK.

That is a long-term vision. We have to start small. We need to implement a strong, effective GAGB Friends network first. I agree with Adam's wording as we should encourage existing regional bodies and groups to support and promote GAGB, for the time being. The creation of GAGB Friends already establishes unofficial/informal representatives, anyway.

I too would like to see GAGB play a greater role in the UK Mega's. In the last year, we have made progress on this: we sponsored the Devon Mega and Sharon has been overseeing the 2020 submission process (albeit not in GAGB's name).

My vision is for the GAGB to be at the heart of UK caching, respected and supported by all. It is pleasing to see that all the candidates who have answered this question so far share a very similar vision. Hopefully the next committee will get closer to achieving the goals highlighted on this thread.

border caz
20th November 2017, 10:40 PM
No volunteer organisation works from the top down. GAGB will only become 'large' if many people see the value of banding together. Let's start small.

If in a year's time we have a band of a dozen or two 'friends' who use their GAGB status to help newbies, look out for landowner agreements, arrange CITOs, or raise the profile of events in their areas, then we're doing well. Building up a formal regional structure sounds a bit ambitious, given our track record of activity (LOL).

I guess the skeptic is leaking through here...

Adam asked about the ideal vision. Agreed, Rome wasn't built in a day, we have to build on what we have, gradually getting closer to our dream. It may well take a number of years - but we should all have a vision to aim for. :triumphant:

Antreid
20th November 2017, 10:46 PM
Adam asked about the ideal vision. Agreed, Rome wasn't built in a day, we have to build on what we have, gradually getting closer to our dream. It may well take a number of years - but we should all have a vision to aim for. :triumphant:Fair enough. I certainly won't stop us trying. Let's sort out what GAGB can do, and see if there's enough interest in the general geocaching world to help do it.

terrapintim
22nd November 2017, 09:08 AM
Regional GAGB caching groups are a good step forward. However, please remember that the current regional caching groups do not necessarily represent all the cachers in their area. There are separate groups that have opinions too, and when forming a Regionl GAGB Group it will be important to consider all the groups in the area to reach a consensus (etc)!

Dr Evil.
22nd November 2017, 01:30 PM
I agree with you Adam, I would also like to see the GAGB as a big organisation and respected by many, I would like to see more roving events, I think these are a great way to showcase what the GAGB does and has to offer. I would like to see the GAGB play a bigger roles in the UK mega’s. This all might take a couple of years to achieve but I feel we can do it if we all work together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk