PDA

View Full Version : transfering waypoints

Tiger-Eyes
15th January 2007, 11:51 AM
Hi, I have been downlaoding waypionts from gsak to my yellow etrex using the drop2 thingy that was recommended, I now have a 60CSx and assume that I can use waypoints names instead of codes, does anyone know what i have to type into the box in gsak to acheive this?
directions will need to be step by step cos I'm not to technicaly minded :unsure: :)
Cheers in advance

Fi :D

Bill D (wwh)
16th January 2007, 04:40 PM
Fiona, in GSAK, when you choose "GPS" from the menu at the top, then choose "Send waypoints", you get a dialog box. In that box, for "You can build the waypoint name using tags" enter "%smart" (without the double quotes). Then for "Maximum characters" enter the number of characters your gps uses for waypoint ids (usually 6 or 8). Then for "Waypoint description format" enter "%name". Then click "Send".

I use GSAK, but I send to my gps from OzzieExplorer as GSAK doesn't support my gps (an MLR SP24), so though I think that's correct I have no means of testing it.

Tiger-Eyes
17th January 2007, 01:21 PM
Perfect :)
Thanks for that Bill ;)

SidAndBob
7th February 2007, 09:09 AM
To take advantage of the long fields on the CSx I use:

Waypoint name : %smart%bug
Waypoint description : %Name(%Dif/%Ter)%by
Maximum characters : 14

From your map you will be able to see Cache Name (truncacted) and if there's a TB in there. The comment (30 characters) will tell you Full Cache Name, Terrain, Difficulty and who set the cache.

Once you've done this you'll want to set up customized icons so you can see which cache type each is, whether it's enabled etc. But that's another story.

:)

Tiger-Eyes
7th February 2007, 03:50 PM
I'll try that :)
Thanks Sid and Bob

silverado
13th February 2007, 04:26 AM
i would drop the %bug for more of the cache name, in a high density area where i live bugs don't stay long in caches for long, i guess it all depends on how often you do your pq's