PDA

View Full Version : What's your scariest cache?

cacherelle
27th March 2007, 10:57 PM
We've just been out round Southampton Common tonight, grabbing some clues for a cache, and we ended up having to go down some really dark wooded paths and along near the cemetary
:blink:
Not so bad if you're out in the country but not desirable when you're in a city. Can't believe the amount of single men walking or jogging and then lurking underneath trees................very strange activity! :ph34r:

So what's been your scariest cache??

KathyXB
28th March 2007, 03:50 AM
For spooky factor it has to be one we did on Dartmoor a few weeks ago - GCRBYE Buckfastleigh Church - was getting dark and had to go through the graveyard...not the sort of thing usually scares me though! But it does look a bit blair witchy in this photo:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/cr6852/graveyard.jpg

nobbynobbs
28th March 2007, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by KathyXB@Mar 28 2007, 03:50 AM
For spooky factor it has to be one we did on Dartmoor a few weeks ago - GCRBYE Buckfastleigh Church - was getting dark and had to go through the graveyard...not the sort of thing usually scares me though! Will add a pic so you can see the sight when am home later (at work at mo)...
but that was only because tim was there !!! :lol:

southampton common by moonlight.... no thanks.

think i scared myself silly too much doing a previous job so can't say that any caches i've done qualify.....
:ph34r:

cacherelle
29th March 2007, 06:31 PM
WOW yeah kathy and look at all those orbs!!! ;) ;)

Funnily enough, the cemetary up there didn't bother me, it was all the strange men lurking about!!! :o :o

keehotee
29th March 2007, 06:55 PM
Buckfastleigh wasn't scary - it might have been if you two had let me run around the penthouse tomb 3 times though......!!

Alice Band
29th March 2007, 08:01 PM
Alibags and I attempted a cache called something like 'Old abandoned spooky hospital' in Bucks (now archived). It was deep in a wood in the middle of nowhere and we decided to have a go at midnight. I cant tell you what happened next as Alibags will probably kill me slowly with an ammo box...

My Uni department was right on Southampton common. It was a bit creepy even in the daylight at times *shudder*. I do remember lots of students picking magic mushrooms there though :rolleyes:

nobbynobbs
29th March 2007, 08:49 PM
you can't start a story then not tell!!!

and tim i don't remember holding you down to stop you....... :lol:

i think the scariest bit was whether the jeep was going to get us home or not after the water pump went bang!!

cacherelle
29th March 2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band@Mar 29 2007, 08:01 PM

My Uni department was right on Southampton common. It was a bit creepy even in the daylight at times *shudder*. I do remember lots of students picking magic mushrooms there though :rolleyes:
Ha ha I know the one............................very quiet there!

Mrs Blorenge
29th March 2007, 11:05 PM
I think "The Wye Valley Ghost Train" (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cdf89a66-7458-405d-893f-4ec5f7e0f280) has to be our best "scariest" cache so far. No ghosts, but a rather long, dark tunnel... and you don't see the light at the end for ages :o .

I've heard that the Underworld Series in Devon is a bit scary :unsure:

KathyXB
30th March 2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by keehotee@Mar 29 2007, 06:55 PM
Buckfastleigh wasn't scary - it might have been if you two had let me run around the penthouse tomb 3 times though......!!
wasn' it run round the tomb 7 times then poke your fingers through the bars and the devil would bite them off or something?! LOL

But yeah nobby's right in hindsight getting stuck on dartmoor in a broken down jeep would have out-scaried any ghostly occurrences!

nobbynobbs
30th March 2007, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Mar 29 2007, 11:05 PM

I've heard that the Underworld Series in Devon is a bit scary :unsure:
only because of the fact that you might run into some of the local cachers!!! :lol:

keehotee
30th March 2007, 08:04 AM
The Underworld series IS a bit scary.
I've attempted 2 of them with a friend who wasn't prepared to come in as well- BAADDDD move.
It's not a spiritual ghosty monsters kind of scary though - more of a "if I lower myself into this shoulder width hole in the ground, then crawl around the corner, will I ever get myself out again" kind of scary.

Mrs Blorenge
30th March 2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by keehotee@Mar 30 2007, 07:04 AM
The Underworld series IS a bit scary.
I've attempted 2 of them with a friend who wasn't prepared to come in as well- BAADDDD move.
It's not a spiritual ghosty monsters kind of scary though - more of a "if I lower myself into this shoulder width hole in the ground, then crawl around the corner, will I ever get myself out again" kind of scary.
keehotee - I need words of encouragment at this point - Tell me the good bits! I have about 10 weeks to get mentally prepared! :D

keehotee
30th March 2007, 09:43 AM
lol - If you're talking about Carry On Camping, I'll be there as well- though probably without my underwear on the outside. Strength in numbers is probably good??

Alice Band
30th March 2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Mar 29 2007, 07:49 PM
you can't start a story then not tell!!
:lol:
Ok then, it was past midnight, we had been to the nearby pub to drink up some Dutch courage and we walked to the site (we were camping nearby). It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It had been raining heavily earlier so in the darkness all you could hear was the drip drip sound from the trees. As we got nearer the darkness literally enveloped us, and our torches hardly pierced the gloom. The building really was decaying badly, and the smell of it hit us before we got near it. So imagine the scene....huge woods, no streetlight, no moon (it was very dark), miles from anywhere, torches barely lighting the way and a strong smell of decay from a very large building....suddenly we hear scratches which don't sound like animal noises very close by...our alcohol induced bravery evaporates instantly and I nervously look for the cache while Alibags flashes her torch around to find out what is making the sound. More odd scratching noises, like something is being dragged across a gravel ground, getting closer. We legged it.

Yes, it could have been a fox or a badger, but we decided that foxes and badgers dont smoke 'herbal' cigarettes in the middle of a wood, a strong smell that came from the direction of the scratching sound. We concluded later that it was probably someone looting stuff from the old building. It has since been demolished and is now a posh housing development.

and i don't remember holding you down to stop you....... :lol:
Chance would be a fine thing :P

nobbynobbs
30th March 2007, 09:04 PM
i always found a nice four cell maglight resting on my shoulder gave me plenty or bonus bravery points!!!

it's old knackered camper vans that i steer well clear of though!!! :o :lol: