PDA

View Full Version : Favourite caches

cacherelle
3rd April 2007, 05:46 PM
Just wondering what type of caches are people's favourites as I'm considering placing one, and I'd love to see EVERYONE voting so I get a good picture! :P

nobbynobbs
3rd April 2007, 06:27 PM
pretty much anything that gives me an excuse to go for a walk, but i'll pick up micros and cache/dash if they are on the way.

just gets a little frustrating when a great location is wasted with a poorly thought out cache. but then i'm sure that accusation has been leveled at some of mine so... :unsure:

KathyXB
3rd April 2007, 06:27 PM
It's all about the trip to the cache not so much the box itself - walking, scrambling, ferreting about in the mud/dark/shrubbery, crossing water, falling in bogs...definitely like those in interesting or difficult places :lol:

(of course I do have a screw loose somewhere)

nobbynobbs
3rd April 2007, 06:34 PM
just the one loose? don't you mean only one tightened properly :blink: :lol:

keehotee
3rd April 2007, 07:07 PM
Like them all - but to be honest the contents aren't the draw. I have as much fun chasing a big stuffed ammo box as a well thought out and placed micro. The thrill's in the chase......

cacherelle
3rd April 2007, 10:36 PM
Hmmm looking like I'll have to really think it out............................bummer! :P

molfrew-mosstoad
4th April 2007, 07:47 AM
Ooops! :o just clicked the wrong button and wasted our vote..... Really should have woke up first :angry:

We like a well thought out Multi, as we cache with kids it keeps thier interest when you have several short stages rather than a 5 mile hike, also they much prefer a well stocked cache than a micro, for obvious reasons, but we still do all thats available (we only done 2 micros this weekend, they still enjoyed the wooded walks)

We agree with the others about being "well thought out" dont just place for the sake of it, but a good area & walk make all the difference. Its definatly the the chase is better than the cache although I'm not sure the kids would agree! :D

We have placed 3 caches 1 Trad, 1 Multi & 1 C&D and the one that gets hit the most is the cache & dash!

Alice Band
4th April 2007, 11:27 AM
I like them all. Am I sad? :o

keehotee
4th April 2007, 04:23 PM
I don't know? Are you sad? Do you want a cuddle?

lol

cacherelle
4th April 2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 4 2007, 11:27 AM
I like them all. Am I sad? :o
LOL well that makes 2 of us! ;)

I like variety in life! :D

Alice Band
5th April 2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 4 2007, 03:23 PM
I don't know? Are you sad? Do you want a cuddle?

Awwww, cant remember the last time I had one of those :o

Mind you, you'd need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB :D :D I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:

nobbynobbs
5th April 2007, 09:17 PM
gave her a fright the first time? not the second cause she'd learnt her lesson and started running earlier :lol:

Alice Band
6th April 2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 5 2007, 08:17 PM
gave her a fright the first time? not the second cause she'd learnt her lesson and started running earlier :lol:
*Alice loads up and fires her two crossbow bolts at the rapidly vanishing back of Nobby Nobbs*

*Plink* *Plink*
THUD!

Mwhahahahahaha!!! Gotcha!! :ph34r: :P

nobbynobbs
6th April 2007, 04:26 AM
:P :P :P

cacherelle
6th April 2007, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 5 2007, 12:18 AM

Mind you, you'd need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB :D :D I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:
Blummin heck, how tall are you??? :o

Alice Band
6th April 2007, 02:31 PM
6'2"

I rarely wear stilettos or heels as it scares people :unsure:

nobbynobbs
6th April 2007, 08:50 PM
what a coincidence... that's why i don't wear them either LOL

only 6' 2'' why did you stop too soon then?

Matrix
7th April 2007, 12:58 AM
I like them all ....well the ones I can find anyway :ph34r:

wizard1974uk
7th April 2007, 08:08 AM
I prefer cache and dash, mainly due to time factors. However if I do have a lot of time on my hands I do like multis.

DR. Ape
7th April 2007, 09:10 AM
I agree I think that a well thought out cache whether a short walk, long walk, multi cache, puzzle is the best kind and if we are going out for a day's caching at the weekend I try to pick a range of caches as if you keep doing the same ones all the time it must get a bit boring, especially for the kids. At the moment we are trying to sort out locations for two new caches and are at the talking to the landowners stage, both caches if they go live will be completely different in style.

Mrs Blorenge
7th April 2007, 03:44 PM
Variety is the spice of life etc!

I think a lot depends on whether you're a "numbers" person, or not. For obvious reasons the Numbers People tend to like the "cache 'n' dash" or a "trad". We're in the other camp ("the pottering-along-admiring-the-view-with-cache-at-the-end-hopefully" camp. We tend to look at a map, pick a place that we want to visit, THEN see what caches are in the vicinity and do any which are convenient.

We haven't done many of the Motorway Mayhem caches: Some cachers are a bit scathing about them but we did a beautifully planned and executed one last weekend. If you're ever up around Telford don't miss out on hunting for the Forked Tong (https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=a18d1401-0736-46be-931e-5af7c0eec885) ! ;)

Mrs Blorenge
7th April 2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by cacherelle+Apr 6 2007, 12:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cacherelle @ Apr 6 2007, 12:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alice Band@Apr 5 2007, 12:18 AM

Mind you, you&#39;d need a stepladder to reach me. Just ask MrsB :D :D I think I gave her a fright when I met her for the first time :unsure:
Blummin heck, how tall are you??? :o [/b][/quote]
...and I&#39;m just 5&#39;. :unsure:

But AliceB doesn&#39;t scare me... I have a son of 6&#39;4" :D
(without his stilettoes)

cacherelle
7th April 2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Apr 7 2007, 03:48 PM

...and I&#39;m just 5&#39;. :unsure:

But AliceB doesn&#39;t scare me... I have a son of 6&#39;4" :D
(without his stilettoes)
LMAO nor me, my eldest is 6&#39;8" and just coming up for 19 so still got potential to grow more&#33; :rolleyes: My youngest is getting cocky now cos he&#39;s just over taken me and is just under 6&#39;, and again at 15 hasn&#39;t stopped growing yet&#33; :angry: :angry:

cacherelle
7th April 2007, 06:52 PM
Hmmm okay, looking at the voting most people like everything......................I&#39;m thinking about keeping my first ever one a fairly simple one, but got no idea where I want it to go yet&#33;&#33;&#33; EEEK&#33;

Mrs Blorenge
7th April 2007, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 7 2007, 05:52 PM
I&#39;m thinking about keeping my first ever one a fairly simple one, but got no idea where I want it to go yet&#33;&#33;&#33; EEEK&#33;
Nothing wrong with a simple cache. I don&#39;t know where you are, but sometimes the problem is to find a good spot that nobody&#39;s got to first :) Is there somewhere attractive and/or interesting that you know about, but not many other people do?

cacherelle
8th April 2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mrs B, well where I live there&#39;s a site of a very significant roman fort, but you can&#39;t see anything related to it which is annoying, and they&#39;ve been developing round here ferociously so parking is very limited....................oh and then add the local chavs into the equation, so makes me a bit reluctant to draw people to it :rolleyes:

I need to get my thinking cap on ...............can&#39;t find it at the mo, might be in the wash ;)

nobbynobbs
9th April 2007, 05:18 AM
a tour of bitterne&#33;&#33;&#33; well i am awaiting with bated breath :lol:

i&#39;m sure that you know somewhere a little further out. doesn&#39;t have to be very close to home. what about that pond near bitterne that always used to have turtles. or have they all gone?

KathyXB
9th April 2007, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 9 2007, 05:18 AM
a tour of bitterne&#33;&#33;&#33; well i am awaiting with bated breath :lol:

i&#39;m sure that you know somewhere a little further out. doesn&#39;t have to be very close to home. what about that pond near bitterne that always used to have turtles. or have they all gone?
Don&#39;t remember Bitterne being mentioned...

nobbynobbs
9th April 2007, 06:11 AM
i think i know the site being mentioned, not actually bitterne but near northam bridge. then the dearest chavs in the area... :lol:

keehotee
9th April 2007, 10:53 AM
What about Woodmill? Or Swaythling?

nobbynobbs
9th April 2007, 05:36 PM
woodmill already taken....

cacherelle
10th April 2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 9 2007, 06:11 AM
i think i know the site being mentioned, not actually bitterne but near northam bridge. then the dearest chavs in the area... :lol:
LMAO shut it you&#33; :P

But yeah the chavs would spoil it..................hell they spoil anything round here&#33; :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thank god my 2 haven&#39;t grown up to aspire to chavdom&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

I just think it&#39;s a shame that so many people don&#39;t realise the site is there but hey ho, guess it WILL have to be further out .....................................but Swaythling keehotee??? :o Thought they had even MORE chavs&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; <_< <_<

keehotee
10th April 2007, 05:59 PM
Just hide it so that les chavs (pron: lay shav) can&#39;t find it.
The art of camoflage - things don&#39;t have to be out of site, just out of mind. If people aren&#39;t specifically looking for or expecting something, they won&#39;t see it. Or don&#39;t you read Terry Pratchett?

You could sit a BIG BLACK BOX* at the site of the road, with GEOCACHE and the waypoint written on the top in big, white, diamond encrusted, glow-in-the-dark letters, and as long as it fitted in with all the other BIG BLACK BOXES at the side of the road, nobody would bat an eyelid - unless they were looking for a big black box with geocache written on top of it.

(* BIG BLACK BOX used for example only)

nobbynobbs
10th April 2007, 08:18 PM
the trouble is with nothing visible what would be the point?

why not try the woods just south of the m27 near to the services? nothing round there.

but it&#39;s true instead of relying on tiny or a pile of obvious sticks that are ideal for picking up and throwing. go for some more intricate camo.
disguise it as a school book or similar, that&#39;ll scare them away. :lol:

cacherelle
11th April 2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 10 2007, 05:59 PM
Just hide it so that les chavs (pron: lay shav) can&#39;t find it.
The art of camoflage - things don&#39;t have to be out of site, just out of mind. If people aren&#39;t specifically looking for or expecting something, they won&#39;t see it. Or don&#39;t you read Terry Pratchett?

You could sit a BIG BLACK BOX* at the site of the road, with GEOCACHE and the waypoint written on the top in big, white, diamond encrusted, glow-in-the-dark letters, and as long as it fitted in with all the other BIG BLACK BOXES at the side of the road, nobody would bat an eyelid - unless they were looking for a big black box with geocache written on top of it.

(* BIG BLACK BOX used for example only)
LMAO sounds like you know Swaythling really well&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for Terry Pratchett.........................no, I wait til the film comes out&#33; LOL same with Harry Potter ;)

cacherelle
11th April 2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 10 2007, 08:18 PM

disguise it as a school book or similar, that&#39;ll scare them away. :lol:
LMAO very true.......................and very cunning&#33; :D :D

keehotee
11th April 2007, 07:50 PM
woodmill already taken....
Are you sure ? - nothing showing on my latest PQ between Itchen To Find It / Not as it Seems, and Hexagons (Hants).

That leaves the whole of Riverside Park, Mansbridge, Swaythling, Marlhill Copse - but how about something sneaky and concrete coloured under either Northam Bridge or Cobden Bridge??

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/keehotee/woodmill.jpg

...or something playing on this theme.. The Itchen River Project - Roman Roadbridge? (http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/itchen/about_roman_posts.html)

nobbynobbs
11th April 2007, 09:44 PM
there is a final location for a multi that would exclude one location..... obviously i don&#39;t want to say where exactly.

but i&#39;ve not really looked too deeply into the area. can&#39;t say that i am drawn to wandering the streets of bitterne and northam..... :o

cacherelle
13th April 2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 11 2007, 09:44 PM

can&#39;t say that i am drawn to wandering the streets of bitterne and northam..... :o
OI..........I&#39;m not THAT bad&#33;&#33;&#33; :( :( :(

I think I know the one you mean nobby, by a pond??

nobbynobbs
14th April 2007, 04:54 AM
well there is that one but also one right by woodmill as well.

you might not be that bad but the other denizens of that area are&#33; :lol:

cacherelle
16th April 2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 11 2007, 07:50 PM

Are you sure ? - nothing showing on my latest PQ between Itchen To Find It / Not as it Seems, and Hexagons (Hants).

That leaves the whole of Riverside Park, Mansbridge, Swaythling, Marlhill Copse - but how about something sneaky and concrete coloured under either Northam Bridge or Cobden Bridge??

...or something playing on this theme.. The Itchen River Project - Roman Roadbridge? (http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/itchen/about_roman_posts.html)
Thanks for that, LOL remember the activity when they were around this area, and we went down on our side of the river to help out. I&#39;ve been pondering it and would love to draw attention to Blackberry Island, but it&#39;s underneath reclaimed land which means there&#39;s naff all to see&#33; :rolleyes:

Phewww there&#39;s a lot to consider when placing a cache :unsure:

nobbynobbs
17th April 2007, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 16 2007, 05:55 PM
there&#39;s naff all to see&#33; :rolleyes:

that sums up southampton really&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Alice Band
17th April 2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 17 2007, 05:17 AM
That&#39;s typical Scummer talk :P

Alice Band - Proud former Pompey resident....(eeeek...did I say proud? :blink: )

nobbynobbs
17th April 2007, 09:30 PM
well it&#39;s only because you had the sense to leave the place that we&#39;ll let you carry on posting. :lol: i mean southampton might be bad but portsmouth is worse obviously. ;)

cacherelle
24th April 2007, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band@Apr 17 2007, 05:13 PM

Alice Band - Proud former Pompey resident....(eeeek...did I say proud? :blink: )
Aaaah wondered what that funny smell was in here&#33;&#33;&#33; :P :P :P :P :P

cacherelle
24th April 2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 17 2007, 06:17 AM

LOL I have another plan now&#33; ;)

Alice Band
25th April 2007, 12:51 AM
Wooo&#33;&#33;

I have just placed a cache with a green Jeep in it by my local castle. I could be biased and say any cache with a jeep in it is a good &#39;un, but then that would label me as a Jeep &#39;ho...
And in case someone reading this tonight wants to grab the Jeep, its near J21a of the M1 :ph34r:

Alice Band
25th April 2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by cacherelle@Apr 24 2007, 09:39 PM
My neighbours and I (when I lived in Southsea) all labled Pompey as &#39;The Bog of Eternal Stench&#39;. By eck, when those scree clouds came in from the sea from time to time it made the whole town smell baaaaad. I have to say I don&#39;t miss that part, living in a landlocked county that I do.

Funnily enough I&#39;ve been in contact all day today with Southampton Uni and was reminiscing about bits of it. Apparently the Titanic monument is in a dreadful state :(

Tiger-Eyes
25th April 2007, 01:06 PM
I like them all but a well thought out not to difficult multi is my fav. I don&#39;t like micro&#39;s very much and HATE nano&#39;s, The kids like to swap thing so they like the larger boxes, The multi that I set up is the sort where you answer questions from different locations, this leaves room for other caches and the individual parts can&#39;t get muggled. One multi I did was an 8 mile walk, after 6 miles the micro hidden in the woods was missing :&#39;(, I emailed the owner who luckily gave me the final co-ords otherwise I wouldn&#39;t have bothered doing it again.

Mongoose39uk
25th April 2007, 05:05 PM
AliceB is about 6&#39;4" at a guess.

Anyone picks on you get her and Latham to stand in front of you ;)

keehotee
25th April 2007, 05:05 PM
And in case someone reading this tonight wants to grab the Jeep, its near J21a of the M1

I had a green jeep TB a couple of months ago, and altruistic fool that I am I passed it on at a meet.
Now I want another one - but to keep - so I can copy the number onto the big TB tags I&#39;d paint on top of my own BIG green jeep.

(of course, if anybody wants to pass one along to me........... :rolleyes: )

Tiger-Eyes
27th April 2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 25 2007, 04:05 PM

I had a green jeep TB a couple of months ago, and altruistic fool that I am I passed it on at a meet.
Now I want another one - but to keep - so I can copy the number onto the big TB tags I&#39;d paint on top of my own BIG green jeep.

(of course, if anybody wants to pass one along to me........... :rolleyes: )
I hope I don&#39;t offend you with this comment But
I find it quite sad that people are keeping jeeps when there are so many people that haven&#39;t seen them yet.:(
As far as I&#39;m aware no green or yellow jeep has never made it to norfolk and the only way I saw them was to travel to an event. ;) I have had the pleasure of moving a white jeep once but am resigned the the fact that my kids will never see a green or yellow as I will never get the oppertunity to bring them home for them to see. (I didn&#39;t take them to the meet cos it was 1 1/2 hours drive each way).
This of course is only my personal view and I hope I haven&#39;t upset anyone

cacherelle
27th April 2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Alice Band+Apr 25 2007, 12:58 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alice Band @ Apr 25 2007, 12:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cacherelle@Apr 24 2007, 09:39 PM
My neighbours and I (when I lived in Southsea) all labled Pompey as &#39;The Bog of Eternal Stench&#39;. By eck, when those scree clouds came in from the sea from time to time it made the whole town smell baaaaad. I have to say I don&#39;t miss that part, living in a landlocked county that I do.

Funnily enough I&#39;ve been in contact all day today with Southampton Uni and was reminiscing about bits of it. Apparently the Titanic monument is in a dreadful state :( [/b][/quote]
Hmm a LOT of SOuthampton heritage isn&#39;t looked after.....................but then it&#39;s future isn&#39;t either&#33; :rolleyes: Darn council never seem to get it right......................laser beams out of the civic clock I mean what the heck is that all about???? They want to put us on the map............of monumental c**k ups?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :angry:

The cheese grater was bad enough, why do we have to endure more of this ridiculous waste of money when like you say, memorials etc are left to deteriorate................OMG I&#39;m going off on one again&#33; :unsure: :unsure:

cacherelle
27th April 2007, 03:21 PM
Awww I haven&#39;t seen a jeep either&#33;

But then I&#39;m not seeing half the geocoins that are meant to be in caches at the mo either&#33;&#33; So far I&#39;ve seen 2 geocoins in total&#33;&#33; :(

nobbynobbs
27th April 2007, 07:59 PM
they are out there, coins that is. have to admit i&#39;m a bit of an icon whore and will go out of my way to see and note the coins etc.

there was talk at one point of releasing a few range rover TB&#39;s to rival that cheap usa import. :lol:

keehotee
27th April 2007, 08:03 PM
there was talk at one point of releasing a few range rover TB&#39;s to rival that cheap usa import.
They did - but they were only ever put into roadside cache n&#39; dashes, as the tags started falling off when they went too far off road....

LOL (and waits with hard hat on for inevitable flak)

nobbynobbs
27th April 2007, 08:08 PM
roadside cache and dashes just outside schools at that... but then most jeeps can be found in those as well&#33;&#33;

cacherelle
28th April 2007, 10:21 AM
LOL bet you find loads very close to dealerships or garages....................my dad&#39;s Jeep is constantly having to be fixed&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

keehotee
28th April 2007, 01:37 PM
Harumpphhh - Mine&#39;s only ever broken down once. OK, that was a nackered water pump, on the Moor, in the dark - and it was raining, and I had passengers. But it did manage to get us home, and apart from that it&#39;s been fine........ :unsure: (looks around nervously for a bit of wood to touch)

Mrs Blorenge
29th April 2007, 05:38 PM
Going back to keehotee&#39;s Green Jeep idea ...
(OK, I&#39;m playing catch-up, I&#39;ve been away from this Forum for a few days... did you miss me?... nope?... never mind...)

The idea of putting the giant TB tags with real GJ numbers onto his own full-sized jeep would be a great idea&#33; The original small GJ could then be released off on its travels again, but anyone could "discover" keehotee&#39;s GJ and thus get the GJ icon.

It would work the same way as sending out a laminated copy of a geocoin to travel, whilst keeping the original coin in your pocket to show off to folks at Events.

Keehotee - start producing a metal tag for your own GJ (I guess it needs to be about 5ft long x 2ft wide :D ) and I&#39;ll look out for a small GJ to get the numbers for you. This could be set up by Carry on Camping&#33;

:D :D :lol: :P

cacherelle
2nd May 2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by keehotee@Apr 28 2007, 01:37 PM
Harumpphhh - Mine&#39;s only ever broken down once. OK, that was a nackered water pump, on the Moor, in the dark - and it was raining, and I had passengers. But it did manage to get us home, and apart from that it&#39;s been fine........ :unsure: (looks around nervously for a bit of wood to touch)
Well that&#39;s a good track record, but how long have you owned it?? A week??? :P :P ;)

cacherelle
2nd May 2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Blorenge@Apr 29 2007, 05:38 PM

(OK, I&#39;m playing catch-up, I&#39;ve been away from this Forum for a few days... did you miss me?... nope?... never mind...)

Well I don&#39;t know you enough to miss you, but I did notice you&#39;d been missing...............is that any good?? :( :(

LOL and now I know why I have a laminate here and NOT a geocoin&#33; Thanks for that Mrs B&#33;&#33; ;)