PDA

View Full Version : Why?

keehotee
23rd April 2007, 07:24 PM
I can't help but wonder why this move to regional forums?
It might just be my ignorance, but I'm not struck by the number of region specific postings in the GB wide forums to date - if there hasn't been a need so far, why the need to try to fragment what is at the moment a fairly close knit national community?
I can see that in places like the US, where geography, and even customs and laws might change pretty dramatically by region, there would be a need for "local" forums - but here? How are you going to subdivide? For example, Devon and Cornwall sounds like a pretty neat division - unless you live in East Devon, when you'll want a Devon and Dorset forum; or North Devon, when Devon and Somerset might make more sense. And why tie Somerset to North Devon, when you've got borders and close ties with Avon, Bristol and Wiltshire?

One of the great appeals of geocaching for me is that the game is played exactly the same way whether I'm at home in Devon, back in Southampton, or on business in Yorkshire. If the rules are the same, and the issues are the same, why create forums based on geography? Personally I think we'd be better served with forums based on ability, or age, or whatever individuals want to get out of geocaching.

nobbynobbs
23rd April 2007, 07:43 PM
at the end of the day both types can happily exist together hopefully... and it gives me more places to visit at stupid o'clock :lol: :lol:

Bill D (wwh)
23rd April 2007, 10:39 PM
From the posts here and on gc.com there's evidently a demand for more regional forums, but I would imagine people will use them as well as the ones they use already, not instead of them.

Yes, I agree that deciding on how to divide areas will be difficult, but I see no reason why divisions have to be rigid, and no reason why there shouldn't be some degree of overlapping of areas. See my post in the Western England thread for my views on how this particular issue could affect me personally.

Birdman-of-liskatraz
23rd April 2007, 10:47 PM
From experience with the Kacher forum. We've so far organised two County get togethers. the Cornwall Geocoin, The Cornish Quest (A county wide multi), but I think the biggest benefit has been the "I'm planning on doing some caches on the North Coast - does anyone want to come along?" - Which would be out of place on the National forums I think.

Oh and the Did you know there's an Army Surplus Store at St Columb type of thing.

It is in addition to the Geocaching/GAGB National forums.

As Nobby says, a place for both...