Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New joiner here

ingridkm Guest

Another newbie here and a total novice to caching too, can't wait to get my first GPS unit and possibly an Idiots Guide (any suggestions would be appreciated).

Hi Ingrid

So you're not going to give it a go with just a map and a compass, lol...!

Caches are rated out of five stars for terrain and for difficulty - start with easy ones, one, one point five or two stars for difficulty. And start with traditional caches, where there's just the one container to find, not multis where there are a number of stages. And avoid micro caches at first - go for medium sized containers.

Read through recent logs on the cache page as well as the cache information itself - you may find useful pointers there, or pitfalls to avoid.

Any gpsr will do, but if you get into caching in a big way you'll probably want to download waypoints directly to the gpsr from your computer rather than enter them manually, so get one which will connect to your computer. Most do, but a few cheaper ones like the Garmin Geko 101 don't. And check whether a USB cable is included in the price.

Happy caching!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

ingridkm Guest

Hi Bill

Thanks for that. Of course, I will give it a go with the ol map and compass. I need to keep those skills going otherwise the kids will catch me out if I get rusty!

nobbynobbs Guest

welcome to the addiction.

ingridkm wrote:
    Thanks for that. Of course, I will give it a go with the ol map and compass. I need to keep those skills going otherwise the kids will catch me out if I get rusty!
    I found my first six caches with just a map and a compass - a few of them took me a couple of visits to find them, but it can be done...! Use the encrypted hint, and go for ones where the map and the hint make it look as if the hiding place will be reasonably easy to identify when you reach the area.

Something else that may be worth mentioning, for when you do get a gpsr, is that gpsr accuracy depends very much on how clear a view of the sky the unit has. Out in the open the gpsr may take you to within ten feet (3 metres) of the cache, but under tree cover, especially in summer when trees are in full leaf, the reading will float around and you may find yourself with a rather large area to search...! So when you get a gpsr you may want to make your first attempts on caches that are out in the open.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Welcome to the Geocaching game ingridkm You haven't mentioned what area you're in but I expect there are friendly geocachers near you who will be only too happy to give a Newbie some help or hints if required. You can always contact geocachers by clicking on their name to bring up the link to their Profile and then send them a message, if you want to make contact.

Good Luck.