Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Please Show your support for our Armed Forces

We all know our Armed Forces are suffering extreme injury's during active duty, but very few mentions or gives a though for the family's and the support that they need. So when I came across this on another forum, I was both horrified and disgusted.

For those who don't know SSAFA-The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association is a registered charity who looks after not just the welfare of servicemen and women, but also their families.

Please sign the petition at the end,

Nimby neighbours' war with wounded soldiers' families
    By MATTHEW HICKLEY and DANIEL BATES

It is often the first port of call for servicemen and women returning home after being wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan.
    Soldiers who may have lost limbs or suffered severe trauma spend months rebuilding their lives at Headley Court military rehabilitation centre.
    But when an Armed Forces charity decided to buy a £ 1.7million six-bedroom house nearby so visiting relatives would have somewhere to stay, the well-heeled neighbours in Ashtead, Surrey, launched their own offensive.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association, which has applied to the local council to to make some alterations at the property, including installing a wheelchair ramp, had been hoping for no objections.
    After all, Headley Court had been part of the area for more than 60 years.
    But residents apparently do mind. They have flooded the council with almost 100 letters of protest, raising every conceivable objection to the new property being used to house families visiting soldiers.
    They claimed 'additional noise' and 'huge amount of additional traffic' would ruin the peace of the private lane and warned that the value of their multi-million-pound properties would plummet.
    The families 'would not be welcome', they said, and their arrival could 'destroy the character' of the area.
    One resident even objected on security grounds, claiming the house could become a terrorist target, while another suggested wheelchairs would present a fire hazard.
    Planners at Mole Valley District Council will consider the case on August 1 but last night serving soldiers made their views clear.
    One Army officer recently returned from Iraq told the Mail: "They make me sick. It's just staggeringly selfish.
    "Perhaps these people would care to come out to the field hospital in Basra and tell some young soldier having his leg amputated after a [bomb] attack exactly why his family isn't worthy to rub shoulders with this bunch in their Surrey village.
    "Who do they think they are? Do they have the slightest clue about the sacrifices-young soldiers make on their behalf every day? Shame on them."
    SSAFA spokesman Athol Hendry said: "These people should be ashamed of themselves. This level of hostility is incredibly disappointing and frankly astonishing.
    "If you've just got back from risking your life in Iraq, you've lost two legs and you learn your young family are not welcome near the hospital where you're being treated - what kind of a message is that?"
    When the Mail tried to speak to residents, none would be quoted.
    Residents' association chairman Malcolm Webb, a 58-year-old oil executive, denied residents were 'nimbys'.
    "This is just the wrong place and the wrong property," he said. "Some are concerned - in these awful days when these ghastly terrorists go after the softest targets - about the security situation."

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Headley
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

That's quite absurd - I've signed the petition.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

MrsB shakes her head, sadly...

Signed!

KathyXB Guest

Signed, and forwarded to all I know...

Third-Degree-Witch Guest

This is a sick joke right ? :angry: signed

Fortunately, sanity has prevailed Plans approved

Rebble Guest

Well it just goes to show what a crap bunch of selfish gits there are in this world especially in the UK.

Never been any different I suppose. I'm alright Jack.

I read this elsewhere and was stunned by the sheer b!@@&y arrogance of these people.

Bet they're a bunch of sandal wearing tofu munchers. (Of course no disrespect to sandal wearers or vegetarians in general :P )

Probably care more about property values...

seeth, seeth, seeth... :angry:

nobbynobbs Guest

This sort of person wants things to apply to other people.

They used to shout very loudly that we should have Zero Tolerance policing. right up to the moment that their dearest children got nicked for possesion of cannabis or drink driving. What they meant was Zero Tolerance for the common people who don't belong to their social group.

Rebble Guest

Great lets have a rant about the stuck up Bourgeoisie.

Any they will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes comrades

Probably a bunch of slimy corporate stick insects or namby pamby baby boomers who had it all and left the rest of us wi' nowt.

Sitting idle in their indolence thanking god and the queen that their little Tarquin/Jemima/Oliver had the good sense to become teachers/stock brokers/lawyers and not join Her Maj's Armed Forces.

Personally speaking if these low life camel spiders ever had reason to rely on the forces they would be the first whining why there weren't enough troops to prevent them losing life, liberty and the pursuit of freedom.

Or perhaps they would be the first to surrender and collaborate the rest of us in to the gas chambers. Shalom

:cheers:

Nighteyes Guest

I'm ex-forces and to say that I'm disgusted with these people is an understatement. It doesn't surprise me however and in some ways I can understand their security concerns but for the rest of their weak and lame excuses.......

Thanks for posting this. I have passed it on to several groups of people who have already started to sign the petition.

Regards - Stormbringer