Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: London top 5

mdegarmo Guest

greetings, I am a cacher from USA in Ohio and we are coming over to for a visit with friends who are living & working in Chiswick. I have performed some searhces for this area & have found Chris & Maria's Tube map (wow&#33 to help locate some caches in/around London. But I wanted to see if any one from the GAGB would like to provide a list of their top 5 favorite London area caches, it can be any type, difficulty, etc... We will be arriving on 9/8 and staying for alittle over one week. We are very excited to find some international Smileys! hopefully not too many DNFs
    cheers, thanks to all. mdegarmo Team DeGarmo

mdegarmo Guest

OK, how about your top 2 London caches? really just trying to find out some good, fun, challenging caches while we are in the area. I will do the same for you if ever near Newark, Ohio

nobbynobbs Guest

sorry wasn't ignoring the thread, i've only done one cache in london so hard to recommend my top 5.
    the one i did was at the houses of parliament.

to be honest if you have the time and the inclination get a one day travelcard which will let you travel on all tubes , trains, and buses in london. then get out on maria's map.

now ifyou want a recommendation for a great italian restaurant i can suggest one that is just above the south kensington tube station.

Hi there - we have completed about 15 in London and my favourite and one I would certainly recommend you try is 'Last Delivery' (Waypoint - GCGBGB). The location is a small garden area in central London which has some really interesting displays around one side - see photos on the page. It is also well known as a cache for Travel Bugs/Geocoins and if you are coming over from the States it would be a good idea to swap some TBs and get them moving further afield. Hope that helps. Otherwise, we found there a lot of Nano/Micro caches in London (mainly due to muggles/security alerts) but 'Last Delivery' is a good size box.

Hope you enjoy your visit and have fun with London caches. Let us know how you get on.

Graham
    Explorer_Olway

mdegarmo Guest

Thanks nobby & explorer for your replies & info. I have found with my searching that with the 'urban' setting, many small/micro's around, but still a few good TB type caches. Again, thanks & we'll be looking around in one week.

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Aug 22 2007, 05:47 AM

the one i did was at the houses of parliament.
    Now that's a wonderful, fantastic cache, not that I'm biassed!

I'd certainly recommend Last Post (not one of mine) and if you're here on the 10th September then you can meet geocaching.com Jeremy and the three UK reviewers at "It's Pay Back Time Folks!"

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

From GUK's cache rating system these are in the top 5% of all caches in the UK and witihin 10 miles of wherever its search engine thinks london centre is

3.0 London Invasion GCYCDM TQ302810
    GREEN PARK
    Greater London 17th Sep 06 by
    kook29 16 24th Jul 07 by
    boris the bear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.75 3.0
    1.0 Sherlock 7 - The booty! GC2828 TQ336818
    ST LUKES
    Greater London 27th Oct 01 by
    Chris n Maria 125 3rd Jun 07 by
    petespaws

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.14 3.0
    4.0 Obey the moon GCWRYY TQ219780
    CASTELNAU
    Greater London 25th Jun 06 by
    rodz 5 30th Nov 06 by
    Sinclair of Rosslyn

5.62 4.0
    2.5 Y is for Y-knot GCZ1VT TQ186821
    HANGER HILL
    Greater London 26th Oct 06 by
    rodz 4 6th Dec 06 by
    bones1

5.72 4.5
    2.0 T is for Therapie GCXRJH TQ184806
    EALING COMMON
    Greater London 5th Sep 06 by
    rodz 3 2nd Sep 07 by
    garyhoney

6.52 3.5
    2.0 X is for Xed-lines GCZH5P TQ177780
    BRENTFORD END
    Greater London 7th Dec 06 by
    rodz 5 24th Feb 07 by
    The White Family

6.63 3.5
    1.5 P is for Padlock(802?) GCXJHA TQ171792
    LITTLE EALING
    Greater London 7th Aug 06 by
    rodz 13 3rd May 07 by
    siliconwombat

7.07 2.5
    1.0 Riverside - Reflections GC137EV TQ389809
    GREENWICH PARK
    Greater London 20th May 07 by
    Master Mariner 3 23rd Jun 07 by
    Metal Mark.O.

7.42 3.0
    5.0 O is for Overboard GCY7W2 TQ161783
    OSTERLEY PARK
    Greater London 10th Sep 06 by
    rodz 7 7th Jul 07 by
    photofreak

7.74 5.0
    5.0 Z is for Zitting GCZ5E2 TQ187728
    PETERSHAM
    Greater London 22nd Dec 06 by
    rodz 4 9th Mar 07 by
    tjapukai

9.74 3.0
    1.0 BNUG - Tom, Dick and Harry
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

mdegarmo Guest

again, many thanks for all the replies, and the recommendations!! we may try for the 10th & meet up with some fellow cachers across the pond!!
    cheers! :cheers: Team DeGarmo

mdegarmo Guest

wanted to update everyone that we have been in the UK for almost one week and week and we have found around 13 caches all together! Obey the moon was the best! we made it out to Bath also. We have enjoyed all the caches here in the UK and sorry we don't have more time to find more! Thanks to all the UK geocachers and the great finds!!! Cheers, again! Team DeGarmo

nobbynobbs Guest

glad you had a good time. safe trip.