Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Farmers, seeking permission

Im curious especially in light of foot and mouth etc how many people have sought permission from farmers for geocaches.

We inadvertently got permission on an adopted cache when it was found during tree work.

Many farmers i know would not welcome stuff hidden on thier land so i have avoided asking them for permission (or placing caches on thier land) in case they start to check this out and talk to other farmers.

The ones i know all have GPS capability for when they leave stuff in fields for the following year.

As this sport grows almost daily at some point the farmers grapevine will be set off so im curious how many people out thier had experience with farmers and in general what thier opinions of the sport are.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

I've had mixed reactions - some are totally against the idea but some are fine.

I did have one cache, though, which was actually just off a private footpath by a river on non-agricultural land but which was owned by a farmer. The farmer was fine about it, and all was well until the land changed hands, and suddenly fishermen on the path were telling cachers to eff off... I made a few enquiries, and decided it was better not to even ask the new owner - I just removed the cache and archived it.

But back to your point... As you say, the farmers' grapevine will someday soon start spreading the word about caching, and my own view is that when that happens the more caches there are out there on farmland with the farmer's permission the better for all of us.

I think the way to go when approaching farmers is to point out the possible benefits to them. Most cachers are responsible people, and will close that gate that shouldn't have been left open, tell the farmer about the damaged fence that could let livestock out, and so on. If the cache is on or near a right of way, it won't significantly increase the number of walkers on their land, but the comparatively few extra walkers it will bring are people in touch with the countryside who'll do no damage and whose visit could even benefit the landowner.

Edit: Oops, Bill posting as Admin, so what's new, lol...?!!

---
    Bill D (wwh)

We have just placed a new cache on a farm near Amesbury. It is a rare breeds farm. We spoke to the farm manager/owner and explained about Geocaching and we would like to place a cache on their land. They were all for it, I was even asked how much it would cost them to be part of the game. They even donated a first to find prize. If you speak to the farmers and explain exactly what it is all about and about CITO etc. You should be ok.

nobbynobbs Guest

No specific contact with farmers but at the end of the day they are just like everyone, some will get the idea and welcome it as a fun thing and the others will look at us with a strange expression and think about calling the police.

As always we have more to lose by not telling them and letting them discover caches that have been placed without permission than by being completely open and honest. It can only show us in a professional caring manner.

Things are fine as long as the farmer tells his family about the container . I went after a base cache in a 15 cache series only to have a DNF. It turned out the Farmers son found the container and took it back to the house, when the farmer found out he sent him back with it :lol: . Unfortunately for me several days later
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Originally posted by Admin@Sep 13 2007, 04:47 PM
    .......... will close that gate that shouldn't have been left open,

Bill D (wwh)
    We mustn't forget the Countryside Code as some gates may have been left open on purpose.
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

nobbynobbs Guest

normally gates left open for a purpose will be secured open, while ones carelessly not shut by others are ajar. i normally use that as a way of deciding whether to leave open or shut them.

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

We have one cache placed on farmland & we found the farmer in question was very pleased to have a cache placed thier. The cache was actually placed on a permissive path on his land and he was happy to think people would like to walk his paths.

He enjoys reading what people have said about the cache & walk, and even does regular checks on the cache & lets me know if there is any problems.

I guess not all farmers are so pleased but I agreee with Nobby "As always we have more to lose by not telling them and letting them discover caches that have been placed without permission than by being completely open and honest. It can only show us in a professional caring manner"