Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Bracknell Town Council

Geocaching Policy
    What is Geocaching (pronounced geo-khash-ing)?
    Geocaching is a relatively new pastime which can involve whole families. A Geocacher goes to a location which has usually some special interest or beauty. At the location they hide a small waterproof box containing a few varied bits and pieces (of little value) a logbook and a pen or pencil. Using their GPS receiver, the cacher records the coordinates of their cache and returns home to log its existence onto a website. Another cacher will see the listing about the cache, enter the coordinates into their GPS receiver and go in search of it. When they find it the finder takes something from the cache and leaves something in return, and for posterity enters a log into the logbook. When the seeker returns home, he/she should log onto the website where they found the cache and pass on any comments they wish. These logs are important to the cache hider as it is part of their "reward" for hiding the cache. Of course in order to keep the game going, the seekers must also hide some caches too.
    Bracknell Town Council’s approach
    Whilst Bracknell Town Council recognises the value of Geocaching as a means of encouraging people to exercise and enjoy the natural beauty of their surroundings it is important that the pastime does not impinge on other uses of the Council’s recreation areas or create a danger to the public. The safety of wildlife and maintenance of the natural habitat is also a primary consideration. This policy is published in order to ensure that the activity can progress in harmony with the many other interests and legal constraints involved in the management of the Councils recreation areas.
    Policy
    • No caches may be placed on Bracknell Town Council managed land without the permission of the Recreational Facilities Manager.
    • The Recreational Facilities Manager has the right to refuse both the proposed location and the type of container to be used.
    • The Town Council reserves the right to remove unauthorised caches.
    Guidelines for placing caches
    • Geocachers must comply with all Bracknell Town Council guidelines and notices
    • Geocachers must not cause any damage to trees
    • Geocachers must not do anything which might cause a fire
    • Geocaches must not be placed close to water where adverse weather may lead to them being inaccessible without entering the water
    • For reasons of safety and security Bracknell Town Council discourage geocaching on their land during the hours of darkness.
    • All caches must be placed in line with the Geocaching Association of Great Britain - GAGB Guidelines which follow:
     Cache containers must be clearly marked stating that the contents are harmless and giving the placers e-mail address or other contact method (e.g. GAGB contact phone number 07092 040 416).
     Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an unaccompanied child to find should be placed in a cache.
     No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or disturbance to any Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM)
     When placing a cache the onus is on the placer to seek the permission of the landowner.
     Caches should be placed in a way that they will not be accidentally found by non-geocachers.
     No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in the cache.
     Caches should not be buried; holes should not be dug in order to place a cache.
     Caches should not be hidden in animal holes or runs.
     Cache containers should not be placed inside a polythene bag.
     Fences should never be crossed (other than through a gate or by a stile) when placing or seeking a cache.
     No caches should be of a commercial nature, either in location or content.
     Maintenance of the cache is the responsibility of the placer.
     When leaving the cache site, after hiding or placing a cache, there should be no visual sign of disturbance.
     No cache should be placed in or on a dry stone wall.
     Please do not bring geocaching into disrepute, never drive your car anywhere other than on the highways and always park legally.
    Procedure

If having read this policy and guidelines you wish to place a cache on land managed by Bracknell Town Council you should contact the Recreational Facilities Manager on 01344 420079 or enquiries@bracknelltowncouncil.gov.uk or
    Brooke House
    54 High Street
    Bracknell RG12 1LL

Nice one sandvika.

You have helped lift my spirits after a recent bad experience with permission.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Rod, big congratulations on getting this agreement! Your email to GAGB's committee got trapped in our (deliberately over-zealous) spam filter, but I've released it now and I'll add this agreement to our database this evening when I've got more time, unless anyone else does so in the meantime. Another big step forward...!!!

Email sent.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Excellent job, well done, I have added it to our database but would be gratefull if someone would give it the onceover to make sure i've done it right

Fiona, thanks for doing that - it looks fine to me! Rod, please take a look and see if you're happy with it - thanks!

Bracknell agreement
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

nobbynobbs Guest

well done. always a relief when you get to the end of the negotiations with a good result.

KathyXB Guest

Nice one

Eliska Guest

Thumbs up

That post is very informative. Good to read. I live in Bracknell and have just recently joined so it is realy informative.

Does anyone have any tips on geocashing in the Bracknell area?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliska View Post
    That post is very informative. Good to read. I live in Bracknell and have just recently joined so it is realy informative.

Does anyone have any tips on geocashing in the Bracknell area?
    Yes, just stop anywhere and look under the nearest rock, behind the nearest road sign, etc. No need for getting a listing or using a GPSr .

Seriously, there are loads of caches in and around Bracknell, but if you haven't already done them, my hot tip would be to make your way to Swinley Forest, both sides of the A322 .

Rgds, Andy