Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Conspiracy Theory

ghost cat Guest

I'm a sucker of conspiracy theories, so here's my explanation for Groundspeak's new get though policy.

Is Groundspeak preparing for a stock market listing? Thoughts!

Funnily enough I wondered that today

Originally posted by ghost cat@Apr 25 2008, 06:48 PM
    I'm a sucker of conspiracy theories, so here's my explanation for Groundspeak's new get though policy.

Is Groundspeak preparing for a stock market listing? Thoughts!
    Can you explain why "getting tough" with their customers might be an indicator for getting a stock market listing? I'm not trying to be awkward, I just can't see that
    antagonising part of their customer base and complicating their reviewing arrangements is going to increase their value?

Rgds, Andy

The Southseakers Guest

OK if you want my theory (which you probably don't ) this is all part of the what I call the "Waymarking Conspiracy" - the doubtless evil plan by GS to generate and maintain a huge database of user generated GIS data which they can then license to TomTom, Garmin etc at a huge profit and retire to the Caribean,

By forcing us to "Waymark" commercial sites rather than place caches there they ensure world domination ( I can picture Jeremy now siting in his high backed leather chair, stoking a white cat... :huh: )

Having said that I may just be being paranoid... h34r:

nobbynobbs Guest

Originally posted by The Southseakers@Apr 25 2008, 10:18 PM
    stoking a white cat

now that's an image that makes you ponder!!!!

Why would he send a cat to stoke?

Originally posted by amberel+Apr 25 2008, 09:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (amberel @ Apr 25 2008, 09:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ghost cat@Apr 25 2008, 06:48 PM
    I&#39;m a sucker of conspiracy theories, so here&#39;s my explanation for Groundspeak&#39;s new get though policy.

Is Groundspeak preparing for a stock market listing? Thoughts&#33;
    Can you explain why "getting tough" with their customers might be an indicator for getting a stock market listing? I&#39;m not trying to be awkward, I just can&#39;t see that
    antagonising part of their customer base and complicating their reviewing arrangements is going to increase their value?

Rgds, Andy [/b][/quote]
    It may not be a flotation but a sale may be on the cards to say Google ?

Also it may be about increasing the value of GSP by showing a business model that only allows paid advertising.

h34r:

moote01 Guest

Emmmm, well if the are the value of the company just fell by &#036;30 as I just successfully received a refund for my recently paid subscription.

Dear Mr. Grimshaw,

Although we generally do not provide refunds on premium membership subscriptions, given the fact that your premium membership for the next year has not yet begun, we are happy to refund your payment. It has been done as requested.

Best wishes and Happy Geocaching,

Bryan
    F 206.374.8161
    bryan@groundspeak.com
    www.geocaching.com
    www.waymarking.com
    www.wherigo.com

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: ZFH-389728
    Department: Geocaching
    Priority: Critical
    Oh by the way they have banned me from posting in their forums, I thought the Yanks had freedom of speech in their constitution&#33;

I&#39;ve heard from some yanks that there&#39;s talks with Garmin on a sell out h34r:

Originally posted by moote01@Apr 26 2008, 10:16 AM
    Oh by the way they have banned me from posting in their forums, I thought the Yanks had freedom of speech in their constitution&#33;
    Did they give you an explanation of why you are banned? Or do you think it is tied with asking for a refund?

If the latter is the case then I doubt they would dare do that to a US customer for fear of infringing their constitutional rights and risking being sued. Anyone else who&#39;s memebrship expires still gets posting rights on the forum.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

moote01 Guest

Originally posted by studlyone+Apr 26 2008, 11:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (studlyone @ Apr 26 2008, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-moote01@Apr 26 2008, 10:16 AM
    Did they give you an explanation of why you are banned? Or do you think it is tied with asking for a refund?

If the latter is the case then I doubt they would dare do that to a US customer for fear of infringing their constitutional rights and risking being sued. Anyone else who&#39;s memebrship expires still gets posting rights on the forum. [/b][/quote]
    No I had no explanation just tried to post earlier today and I was met with this message

Sorry, your posting rights have been temporarily suspended. The suspension is due to end on May 9 2008, 11:06 AM.
    I see it as the truth hurts; I think it was because I said that the main man should come in and explain, that post has also been deleted. Ah well there gagging of a little man sat in England must have cut a nerve with them; See this post

For what it is worth I did read somewhere that GSP were VERY strapped for cache - er I mean cash - but that is probably a rumour.

Milton, again for what it is worth, I don&#39;t know what you were banned for. AFAICS you apologised for an intemperate remark and your other posts - or at least the ones I read - were cutting but to the point and accurate.

I would guess that, at the moment, the whole of the reviewer fundametalist clique is on the UK forum case, bombarding Deci with PM&#39;s every time there is a slightly suspect post.

I take heart in that it is 24hrs since a thread has been closed for no good reason - other, perhaps, than an appeasement strategy.

I guess if you need to know more you may need to get to the KEYSTONE of the issue.

For what it is worth I did read somewhere that GSP were VERY strapped for cache - er I mean cash - but that is probably a rumour.

Milton, again for what it is worth, I don&#39;t know what you were banned for. AFAICS you apologised for an intemperate remark and your other posts - or at least the ones I read - were cutting but to the point and accurate.

I would guess that, at the moment, the whole of the reviewer fundametalist clique is on the UK forum case, bombarding Deci with PM&#39;s every time there is a slightly suspect post.

I take heart in that it is 24hrs since a thread has been closed for no good reason - other, perhaps, than an appeasement strategy.

I guess if you need to know more you may need to get to the KEYSTONE of the issue.

moote01 Guest

Originally posted by dodgydaved@Apr 26 2008, 12:59 PM

Thanks Dave

I know I have always walked a fine edge in the GC forums (some would also say in here, in the past), but I find it laughable that they are hurting so much that they feel the need to be so heavy handed.

I have no idea of why they are hiding the way they want to run the site; after all if we were given the facts on what their ethos is, we might be all a lot happier. I&#39;m not in anyway wanting to pry into why you and Peter left, but knowing where we can tread and not upset would have been a benefit.

I have looked at the matter with open eyes, and it does appear that the Groundspeak organisation have gone somewhat covert, why, is anyones guess, but at least I made my point both in the forums, and getting a refund on one of my premium accounts So in reality I have lost nothing as my other account still has premium benefits till next February

Anyway I owe you and Peter a good pint or maybe 3 for all the hassle I have caused you in the past.

Milton

Originally posted by dodgydaved@Apr 26 2008, 02:59 PM
    Being an effective commercial monopoly with a largely unpaid workforce, I&#39;m surprised to hear that. Mind you, I have no idea what kind of fees are required for the hosting, database management etc., nor do I know how many regular premium subscribers there are.

From a conspiracy point of view, I could certainly see a sell out to Garmin or other party. It would be in their interests to keep it open and free, and community driven (much like Ubuntu being bankrolled and supported by Canonical ltd, or Fedora being supported by Redhat inc.)
    Andy the Rocketeer

Originally posted by moote01@Apr 26 2008, 12:29 PM
    Sorry, your posting rights have been temporarily suspended. The suspension is due to end on May 9 2008, 11:06 AM.
    In that case its a pity that we can&#39;t change displayed usernames on there as you should be changed from &#39;moote01&#39; to &#39;mute01&#39; until May 9th

I found your posts on there straight to the point without stepping over the line. Its just a pity that the feel the need to stifle your voice and opinions on there.

nobbynobbs Guest

Now let me think, a sell out to Garmin....... would that be such a bad thing? Garmin are renown for their beyond the call of duty customer services.

If it&#39;s true then they are doing us all a favour and things will soon get much better hopefully....

to sell out to garmin would make sense

Pengy&amp;Tigger Guest

Originally posted by andy_the_rocketeer+Apr 26 2008, 01:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (andy_the_rocketeer @ Apr 26 2008, 01:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dodgydaved@Apr 26 2008, 02:59 PM
    Being an effective commercial monopoly with a largely unpaid workforce, I&#39;m surprised to hear that. Mind you, I have no idea what kind of fees are required for the hosting, database management etc., nor do I know how many regular premium subscribers there are. [/b][/quote]
    I would suspect that the cost of external consultants over the last year or so would be fairly hefty.

Originally posted by Pengy&Tigger+Apr 27 2008, 11:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pengy&Tigger @ Apr 27 2008, 11:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by andy_the_rocketeer@Apr 26 2008, 01:45 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-dodgydaved
    @Apr 26 2008, 02:59 PM

Being an effective commercial monopoly with a largely unpaid workforce, I&#39;m surprised to hear that. Mind you, I have no idea what kind of fees are required for the hosting, database management etc., nor do I know how many regular premium subscribers there are.
    I would suspect that the cost of external consultants over the last year or so would be fairly hefty. [/b][/quote]
    The costs will be very big with the ongoing work on the V2.0 project which is due to debut this quater. Consultants and database programmers don&#39;t come cheap and that sort of expertise will probably have to be brought in.

moote01 Guest

Originally posted by studlyone+Apr 26 2008, 02:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (studlyone @ Apr 26 2008, 02:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-moote01@Apr 26 2008, 12:29 PM
    In that case its a pity that we can&#39;t change displayed usernames on there as you should be changed from &#39;moote01&#39; to &#39;mute01&#39; until May 9th

I found your posts on there straight to the point without stepping over the line. Its just a pity that the feel the need to stifle your voice and opinions on there. [/b][/quote]
    Emmmmmm, that sounds like a great sock to create, but as someone from over there frequents here, I guess I&#39;ll never get the chance to post.

As for being straight to the point, I really do think long and hard about my replies(many might contradict that though) But I say what I see, and never leave myself in a position of having any litigation

Moote

Jan and the Percey Boys Guest

Cool I nearly joined you

do you know what sort of response you get when you ask if this site was hacked from Seattle?

Talking

Milton its may the 9th just thought you might need a nudge
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

Question

Emmmmmm, that sounds like a great sock to create, but as someone from over there frequents here, I guess I'll never get the chance to post.
    Care to name who your referring to? Only I'm aware there many from "over there" who frequently visit this forum.
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC