Thanks Thanks:  1

Thread: Commando challenge

The Kinkys Guest

Hello all, as we have been kicked off the Groundspeak forum due to some charity thing and I cannot see a thread here about the commando challenge I thought I would start one, as we have teams from Devon, Somerset/Bristol and Cornwall thought we could discuss here...

nobbynobbs Guest

I can refer you all to a good psychiatrist , well I say good, he failed with me but I'm sure he must have some success :lol:

Hope that it all goes well down there. and that any event that gets organised coincidently at the same time in the same locality gets well attended. :P

Your more than welcome to discuss it here

The Kinkys Guest

Thanks Mongoose39uk, we were struggling to communicate with the others, all we have to do now is let them all know

I see that the threads in the GC.com forum were closed by someone from Seattle with the statement -
    I am closing this thread as it solicits for a charitable activity. Please do not start any new threads about this same topic. They shall be closed for the same reason.
    I did not consider it a solicitation, more a "heads-up", what's happening locally post. It didn't say "Here's this charity, we want you to contribute to the charity"

Oh dear!
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

Discuss it here - or I can add a Devon and Somerset section the the existing Commando Challenge sections at CC Discussion .. I'm happy either way...

keehotee Guest

A bump up the forum by way of a reply.....

This is what ticked me off the most with GC - the hypocrisy that would allow forum posts containing numerous solicitations and amateur adverts for different GPS's and software, but not allow mention of a grand day out (that happens to be a charity event) coincident with an event - in an area surrounded with caches......

Lactodorum Guest

Originally posted by Lord Darcy@Apr 27 2008, 11:44 AM
    I see that the threads in the GC.com forum were closed by someone from Seattle with the statement -
    I am closing this thread as it solicits for a charitable activity. Please do not start any new threads about this same topic. They shall be closed for the same reason.
    I did not consider it a solicitation, more a "heads-up", what's happening locally post. It didn't say "Here's this charity, we want you to contribute to the charity"

Oh dear!
    Interesting as the forum guidelines actually only prohibit Commercial solicitations but that's water under the bridge now h34r:

Whatever, very best of luck with this challenge.

Originally posted by Lactodorum+May 1 2008, 04:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lactodorum @ May 1 2008, 04:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lord Darcy@Apr 27 2008, 11:44 AM
    I did not consider it a solicitation, more a "heads-up", what&#39;s happening locally post. It didn&#39;t say "Here&#39;s this charity, we want you to contribute to the charity"

Oh dear&#33;
    Interesting as the forum guidelines actually only prohibit Commercial solicitations but that&#39;s water under the bridge now h34r:

Whatever, very best of luck with this challenge. [/b][/quote]
    Yup, he&#39;s right.

I just re-checked to make sure.

Social agendae, such as charities, are not allowable on cache pages - but there is nowt to say they can&#39;t be mentioned on forums.

Mind you as He ^ said, "water under the bridge."

But perhaps it does highlight one of the other issues mentioned by a certain short, fat ex-reviewer with beard and specs, that one about rule/guideline changes being enforced without the caching public being told about them - though I have no doubt TPTB would deny this happens

Originally posted by dodgydaved@May 1 2008, 05:57 PM
    Mind you as He ^ said, "water under the bridge."
    Don&#39;t you mean &#39;water in a tunnel&#39; :P

I hope that Eckington and Lactodorum have submitted their application form ..... now that they have all this spare time at the weekends (although the minimum team size is 3, so Deceangi will have to join them)
    GAGB member since 2005
    GAGB Committee member 2010 to 2016 (Chair 2012 to 2015)
    UK Mega Event Chairman 2009 (Weston-super-Mare)

Lactodorum Guest

Originally posted by Maple Leaf@May 1 2008, 08:28 PM
    I hope that Eckington and Lactodorum have submitted their application form ..... now that they have all this spare time at the weekends (although the minimum team size is 3, so Deceangi will have to join them)
    Are you mad? With my back? :huh: And even if I wanted to, I doubt I&#39;d fit in the tunnel :lol:

The question is if I&#39;ve got to carry Peter and Dave around :lol: whose going to volunteer to carry me around :P and better still how far is and how long does it to take to get to the nearest hospital :lol:
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

I think you&#39;re forgetting the two or three new reviewers .. Theres a nice team of 5 or 6...

FollowMeChaps Guest

Originally posted by Birdman&#045;of&#045;liskatraz@May 2 2008, 08:13 AM
    I think you&#39;re forgetting the two or three new reviewers .. Theres a nice team of 5 or 6...
    Absolutely&#33;

A Reviewer (and ex-Reviewer) team it is then. I&#39;ll expect to see y&#39;all there&#33;&#33;&#33;

davy boy Guest

Would luv to be a fly on the wall of Miss jen&#39;s office if there was,hehe&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :P

Originally posted by Maple Leaf@May 1 2008, 07:28 PM

I hope that Eckington and Lactodorum have submitted their application form .....
    You cannot be serious

It sounds no pastime for any short, fat guy with beard and specs :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by dodgydaved@May 2 2008, 03:42 PM
    You cannot be serious

It sounds no pastime for any short, fat guy with beard and specs :lol: :lol:
    Ah well thats one fantasy shattered :wacko:

:lol:

The Molinnis Crew Guest

Just wondering what the Devon and Somerset teams are called so I can look up there start times. Our three Cornish teams start at 10:52. 10:54 and 10:56.

Mike

The Somerset team is 'cache me if you can' .... I am away from home at the moment so can't look at the paperwork but I think we are not long before you all. I think the Devon team are keeping the same name as last year (caching commandos I think)

FollowMeChaps Guest

I am at home so can help Maple Leaf out - Cache Me If You Can start at 10:42 and plan to complete the 3 miles in 15 minutes .

Well, we can dream can't we?!:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Oh no, we definitely have a challenge now .... if we are starting ahead of all three of the Cornwall teams we are going to keep up the pace to finish ahead of them.

But then again, according to FMC's timings, we will be nearly finished by the time you start

First of all would like to congratulate all the brave guys and gals who completed the Challenge on Saturday - the sun came out and baked them nice and crisp by the time they got back!
    Secondly are there any other cachers who would like the challenge of completing the Commando Challenge without any running - if so contact us as we are getting together a walking team for next years. If you want to know what you are letting yourself in for then just do a google search.

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wheelybarrow View Post
    First of all would like to congratulate all the brave guys and gals who completed the Challenge on Saturday - the sun came out and baked them nice and crisp by the time they got back!

Secondly are there any other cachers who would like the challenge of completing the Commando Challenge without any running
    I think the Somerset team beat you to it Rena .... hmy:

I'm joking - well done everybody
    (Apparently there's some video somewhere to prove they ran..... )

Congratulations to everybody who did the Commando Challenge. Hopefully I'll be in next years one.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

nobbynobbs Guest

I'm up to do the photography for you. I've seen some of the obstacles

I think everyone who took part will agree it was a fantastic day. We all had a great time.

I still think Keehotee was crazy for doing it twice :, but I'm glad he did or otherwise we wouldn't have a video of the day!! :wacko: (which I am editing as we speak and hope to finish by the end of the week!)

Thanks to the Wheelybarrows, The Kinkys and The Bengal Bums too, for arranging two great events :cheers:

See you all there next year I hope!

keehotee Guest

The results are up - but before Cornwall get too excited (lol)... they've cocked up Somerset's finish time, and added an hour on.
    I've emailed them to let them know, and hopefully they'll amend the results soon......

Edited to add - they've taken the results down - hopefully they're sorting them out....
    Last edited by keehotee; 15th October 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: nit picking......

Finally finished it!

Somerset Team Commando Challenge link here for anyone who's interested :-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8ayxEQzehqU

Awesome looks like you all had some good 'clean' fun on the day Having done numerous similar events I knwo just how knackering but fun they are. Well done to everyone who took part in the challenge. Hats off to you all.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    The results are up - but before Cornwall get too excited (lol)... they've cocked up Somerset's finish time, and added an hour on.
    I've emailed them to let them know, and hopefully they'll amend the results soon......

Edited to add - they've taken the results down - hopefully they're sorting them out....
    Our time is now correct on the results page. Devon win on time - they obviously didn't spend enough time in Black Bog.

..... but we will have to see which team wins on points (our money is still incorrect on the results sheet ... we handed in more than that ... or at least we did to Gary!) Gary has contacted them ... so 'watch this space' for the final verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Leaf View Post
    Our time is now correct on the results page. Devon win on time - they obviously didn't spend enough time in Black Bog.

..... but we will have to see which team wins on points (our money is still incorrect on the results sheet ... we handed in more than that ... or at least we did to Gary!) Gary has contacted them ... so 'watch this space' for the final verdict.
    The results have been taken off the website (again) and there is now a message for anyone who had a 'Justgiving' sponsorship page to email the link to them (see website for more information)