Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Boycott of groundspeak forums?

fraggle69 Guest

Dunno, I might have got the wrong end of the stick but I am getting the impression there's a few people that want the UK section of the groundspeak forums to relocate here. I guess this is to prevent snotty cachepolice snooping and enforcing silly things, even going as far as banning people for nowt. How strange!

I think it can happen, and probably happen very quickly. All we have to do is start adding links in our cache pages/profiles to link here. If we could pull it off it would be a good message to send to groundspeak. How's about adding some pinned topics here, similar to that on the UK groundspeak forum camping events etc, maybe that's already been done I haven't looked at the pinned topics here lol.

Discuss or correct me, but don't set me on fire!

Aiii

nobbynobbs Guest

A couple of good ideas, thanks.

Nothing would make me happier than for people to use this as their primary forum and any promotion anyone wants to do by way of word of mouth or links would be encouraged.

We do still have moderation here but it goes along the lines of you have to say sorry and buy a pint for the committee :lol:

fraggle69 Guest

ahh, 'the be excellent to each other rule' I think I can handle that. I think then, that if there is beer involved, we should get as many cachers as possible to come here.

Now this is my personal opinion so please do not quote me on this outside of this forum

If you wish the majority of discussions to take place here copy the first post in any new topic on GC, and start it as a new topic in here. Post to that topic and link to the new topic you have started in here

end of comments not to be quoted outside of here :P
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

fraggle69 Guest

Before taking drastic action I think we should see what diplomacy can do. linky

Originally posted by nobbynobbs@Apr 29 2008, 05:18 AM

Nothing would make me happier than for people to use this as their primary forum and any promotion anyone wants to do by way of word of mouth or links would be encouraged.

We do still have moderation here but it goes along the lines of you have to say sorry and buy a pint for the committee :lol:
    Looks like a great committee to be on :cheers:

Originally posted by wadders+Apr 30 2008, 10:20 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wadders @ Apr 30 2008, 10:20 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nobbynobbs@Apr 29 2008, 05:18 AM

Looks like a great committee to be on :cheers: [/b][/quote]
    One Pint and six straws does not last long

kewfriend Guest

Originally posted by fraggle69@Apr 28 2008, 10:51 PM
    Dunno, I might have got the wrong end of the stick but I am getting the impression there&#39;s a few people that want the UK section of the groundspeak forums to relocate here. I guess this is to prevent snotty cachepolice snooping and enforcing silly things, even going as far as banning people for nowt. How strange&#33;

This GAGB forum is a useful safety valve but no substitute for the forum presented to the world for all geocachers on GC.COM.

Its also naive to think that GC.COM stays up at night worrying about the UK on the UK GC.COM forums. Trying to organise a &#39;split&#39; and a &#39;move to the GAGB forum&#39; will simply confuse newbies and make some oldies look even more oddly geeky than we may already do - even if there are xrefs from GC.COM, and to be honest it would not be unreasonable for GC.COM to axe the xrefs anyway as deliberately disruptive.

GAGB does a brilliant job in focusing entirely on GB at a really professional level and representing us to the outside world in the UK - let that remain its primary function.

I&#39;ll make no pretence that I havent had the occasional &#39;brush with GC.COM on both TBs and caches&#39;, but when I have its ALWAYS been resolved reasonably sensibly - even if not always to my liking. Its give and take. In other words I havent had to tear my hair out [not an easy task given how little is left].

Every now and then any organisation has a &#39;burp&#39; or a &#39;hiccup&#39;. Its got to be a very big dose of uncalled for &#39;flatulence&#39; to give up on the organisation. Three months from now hopefully we&#39;ll all be smiling again - and the weather will have improved as well.

moote01 Guest

I have no need to boycott the Groundspeak forums; they&#39;ve boycotted me h34r:

davy boy Guest

My personal view that this forum is an excellent alternative to the groundspeak forum and cannot understand why anyone would think otherwise.

Originally posted by kewfriend@Apr 30 2008, 10:41 AM
    Trying to organise a &#39;split&#39; and a &#39;move to the GAGB forum&#39; will simply confuse newbies and make some oldies look even more oddly geeky than we may already do - even if there are xrefs from GC.COM, and to be honest it would not be unreasonable for GC.COM to axe the xrefs anyway as deliberately disruptive.
    I disagree, the Australian Geocaching community have already proven that this can successfully be accomplished.