Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Is anyone having second thoughts?

davy boy Guest

Angry Is anyone having second thoughts?

What does everyone reckon on these fuel price increases?

Are you having second thoughts on going out caching, at £1.28 ltr now on avarage deisel.

nobbynobbs Guest

certainly have to make it worth the drive. filled up the other day.

FollowMeChaps Guest

Isn't that the beauty of geocaching? Wait long enough at the parking coord's for a new cache with a syphon kit and you're guaranteed to fill up for free!

molfrew-mosstoad Guest

Perhaps we will have to arrange a "Car Share" scheme for all those new caches going live Imagine the fight for ftf then

keehotee Guest

I get almost twice the mileage in my GV that I did with the Jeep - so it'd have to go up to £2 a litre to make a huge difference.........

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    I get almost twice the mileage in my GV that I did with the Jeep - so it'd have to go up to £2 a litre to make a huge difference.........
    Does it mean that when a new cache goes live we have two awards:
    FTF - First to find
    FTF - First to Fill
    The prices are scandalous at the moment, makes me think back to the days of the fuel strikes - Oh how I wish we were paying the price that we were all complaining about back then.
    Ian
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

davy boy Guest

Its not looking good, $200 barrel within 6 months and there is not a shortage its just those greedy b------s raking it in. 90p litre approx the government are taking.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle3980797.ece

I put ten quid's worth in my tank yesterday and the fuel gauge barely moved... I think the gauge must be faulty... h34r:
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

Default Second Thoughts...

Yep me too... now I have to drive a distance to hit a nice group of caches.

Sort of unrelated but kind of ties together... I normally cache alone, which in one way is great, but in another caching gets kind of boring by yourself. Would be nice to find a fellow lone cacher or two and go as a group.

So yep what would be useful would be somewhere we could say where and when we were going caching and it would return anyone else planning a trip in the same general area.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman-of-liskatraz View Post
    ... So yep what would be useful would be somewhere we could say where and when we were going caching and it would return anyone else planning a trip in the same general area.
    In the SE Cachers forum we've got a category just for that. Works quite well.

Rgds, Andy

No .
    If we didn't use the car to have days out we would be experiencing a very small perspective of the world .

We never have holidays abroad ,and just got to thinking we haven't had ANY holiday away from home for three years .
    We like Greens

I refuse to let it stop me from doing the things that I enjoy doing, be that geocaching or anything else. I have, however, changed my driving style a little. I travelled to Bude, in Cornwall, from my home in Bedfordshire over the recent bank holiday week end; specifically for the Bude Folk Festival but I managed a few caches as well. Instead of hammering down the M4 and M5 at 70/75mph as usual, I took the A303/A30 route and had the cruise control set to 60mph whenever it was practical to do so. OK... it may have taken me a little longer but my car, a Peugeot 407SW with a 2 litre HDi turbo diesel engine returned an average of 54.6 mpg for the round trip (totalling around 550 miles), according to the trip computer. If you're prepare to lift your right foot a little, it may offset the hike in fuel cost a little
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Pharisee wrote:
    I took the A303/A30 route
    I often take the A303/A30 from Salisbury (A36 to Wyle, then the A303/A30) down to Exeter, en route to Torquay, and it's usually pretty good, except sometimes for tailbacks behind heavy traffic through the Blackdown Hills.

But getting back to fuel costs rising, two years ago I had a 1.6 Sierra which was pretty juicy (heavy and under-powered) and the Torquay return trip cost around 25 quid. Now I have a little 1.2 Nova, and the cost? Around 25 quid...! Huh!!!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Here's a little link that gives some fuel saving tips. We were quite surprised at the figures quoted in No.9.

On the bright side, it moves the onus away from drivebys and onto circular walks

fraggle69 Guest

Someone was telling me about the advantages of vegetable oil for derv engines. Might be worth a google!

Driving more smoothly helps. The Institute of Advanced Motorists teach techniques to minimise braking by observation, anticipation and planning. http://www.iam.org.uk/pressroom/driv...t+the+pump.htmIAM Driving tips.

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

Yep! It certainly has made me change my habits, even though i run mine on LPG, it still has made me have second thoughts about driving miles for a days caching, although my desire to cache has diminished greatly lately.

For me, I would rather go with someone nowadays and make more of a social thing to it than a numbers run.

The cost of fuel is ridiculous and I can't justify the enviromental or the enconmical impact on chasing after plastic boxes any more.

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle69 View Post
    Someone was telling me about the advantages of vegetable oil for derv engines. Might be worth a google!
    I've run my Defender on Veg Oil for years now but it's hardly worth the effort these days! A while back rape oil cost me around 50p a litre now it's more like 1.10 a litre. You can't just chuck it in the tank without risk of damage and if you mix the with diesel you may be running the risk of having your car confiscated! The Customs boys used to class mixing wih diesel as bulking out fuel and so charge the same duty rate as diesel. They have the power to back date the duty charge for all the miles on the clock AND take your car away!

In pure cost terms there seems little value in doing it unless you can ge a good, cheap, supply of used oil. Even that is getting difficult these days as more and more catch on to the value of it.

Kev (Icenians)

fraggle69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Icenians View Post
    I've run my Defender on Veg Oil for years now but it's hardly worth the effort these days! A while back rape oil cost me around 50p a litre now it's more like 1.10 a litre. You can't just chuck it in the tank without risk of damage and if you mix the with diesel you may be running the risk of having your car confiscated! The Customs boys used to class mixing wih diesel as bulking out fuel and so charge the same duty rate as diesel. They have the power to back date the duty charge for all the miles on the clock AND take your car away!

In pure cost terms there seems little value in doing it unless you can ge a good, cheap, supply of used oil. Even that is getting difficult these days as more and more catch on to the value of it.

Kev (Icenians)
    It seems unlikely I would be busted as I paid my taxes at the point of delivery and therefore whatever I do with the good thereafter is my own business.

Anyway, I have a cache that involves a tax collector, should be interesting read if I ever get round to hiding it. lol

ta for the feedback

Icenians Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fraggle69 View Post
    It seems unlikely I would be busted as I paid my taxes at the point of delivery and therefore whatever I do with the good thereafter is my own business.

Anyway, I have a cache that involves a tax collector, should be interesting read if I ever get round to hiding it. lol

ta for the feedback
    I meant the road fuel tax on the oil! The tax man has the power to bill for the added fuel at the same fuel duty as the diesel which could lead to BIG BILL.

It's somewhere in the region of 50p per liter. I don't mean the VAT, that's a seperate issue.

The tax man used to view neat veg oil as diesel and Mr Brown then said we could all use 2500 lt a year tax free, of course the price sky rocketed making the financial saving disappear.

I'm not sure what the current rules are regarding mixing the fuel just saying beware the HM Customs and their powers. The can, and do, take away cars for this.

Best people to talk to are Customs and Excise, or whatever they are called now. They definatly had different rules when it came to mixing fuels in the same tank.