Thanks Thanks:  2

Thread: Keeping it dry. Containers that work or not

Question Keeping it dry. Containers that work or not

Prompted by this thread https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...owtopic=195879 i thought id ask what other peoples experience is of containers and keeping them dry.

Ive never found a dry log in a breath mint container. 35mm film canisters are not waterproof and need good protection and drainage to work. Magnnetic key safes are definitely not waterproof.

Of course all caches can get wet and if its raining a small container will suffer much more than a large one. (another argument in the UK for the use a large container)

There again I have also had an ammo box which consistently got wet due to heavy, dew forming foliage.

Whats other peoples experiences? how do you keep them dry what does not work and does logging under your coat really keep the cache dry !
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    Of course all caches can get wet and if its raining a small container will suffer much more than a large one. (another argument in the UK for the use of a large container)
    Why's that then? I don't follow your logic..

Surely severity of water ingress and cache sufferage (?) is going to be dependant on a caches lid seal length, and proportional to the volume of the cache - so a 35mm film canister, with a relatively large volume to seal length ratio, will actually let in a smaller volume of water as a proportion of total cache volume than a larger, flatter, tupperware (not Lock'n'lock) container.........?

Add to that the fact that rain does not descend as a continuous fall of water - but instead comes down in drops, with an interstitial space between each drop - and it is easy to speculate that a 35mm film canister, having a far smaller opening than a larger container, could conceivably collect far less rain water whilst open for any given amount of time........

h34r:h34r:
    Last edited by keehotee; 10th June 2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: just being cocky - mwahahahahaha

Found several micro caches in the Lake District at the weekend where the 35 mm film canister was in a slightly larger screw top container.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

I've got a couple of 35mm film canisters out there, and they're certainly not watertight - they need to be in pretty sheltered spots to remain dry inside.

My own favourites are lock 'n' lock boxes - they have really good seals and provided people close them properly they're absolutely watertight. I do realize that the same could be said of ammo cans, but personally I don't like those, as they're noisy to open and close, and so can be a dead giveaway in quiet spots. They can also be a pain to open sometimes!

No, I don't think using one's coat or whatever to keep a cache dry is particularly successful - it may (or may not) keep the rain out, but in heavy rain the air's laden with moisture which is going to get shut in the cache when it's closed and then condense.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    Why's that then? I don't follow your logic..

Surely severity of water ingress and cache sufferage (?) is going to be dependant on a caches lid seal length, and proportional to the volume of the cache - so a 35mm film canister, with a relatively large volume to seal length ratio, will actually let in a smaller volume of water as a proportion of total cache volume than a larger, flatter, tupperware (not Lock'n'lock) container.........?

Add to that the fact that rain does not descend as a continuous fall of water - but instead comes down in drops, with an interstitial space between each drop - and it is easy to speculate that a 35mm film canister, having a far smaller opening than a larger container, could conceivably collect far less rain water whilst open for any given amount of time........

h34r:h34r:
    The water ingress would surely depend on how many times its opened in the rain.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

To digress slightly from the original topic, I have a nano out there that is anything but watertight. I use waterproof paper for the log strip and on the cache page request finders to sign in pencil as pens are likely to run. generally this works well apart from...

Have carried a film pot filled with water for many years in a kit box.
    Never a leak!

Use the kodak tubs, black tub grey top.
    A lot of the more recent cheapo tubs certainly are not water tight!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Alan White Guest

35mm film canisters are not waterproof and need good protection and drainage to work.
    Sorry, I have to - slightly - disagree there. It's true that they're not waterproof (in the sense that they would pass any standard test) but we've used many 35mm containers and not one of them has ever been reported as being wet inside.

But all 35mm containers are not the same. As Bear and Ragged say, the ones with the grey tops are fine. The lid fits tightly and has a good seal. Then there are the white/clear ones, which are almost sponge-like in their ability to attract and retain water .

Other micros to avoid are the Groundspeak ones (http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=152615). Despite their high price the rubber seal hardens and breaks very quickly and even when hung with the opening at the bottom the two of them we've used were always very wet inside.

keehotee Guest

The water ingress would surely depend on how many times its opened in the rain.
    So you're saying micros are going to be opened more often than regular containers??
    No doubt due to their popularity amongst hardened cachers lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bear and Ragged View Post
    Have carried a film pot filled with water for many years in a kit box.
    Never a leak!

Use the kodak tubs, black tub grey top.
    A lot of the more recent cheapo tubs certainly are not water tight!
    I have never found too much problem with the regular 35mm pots with the snap on lids except they do seem to attract mice/squirrels/? which chew round the edge of the lid causing leaks.

The oval APS ones and, as others have said, newer 35mm ones, with push in lids would put a sponge to shame

nobbynobbs Guest

A nice medium sized tesco lock-lock ripoff has survived out in the open for several years without any trouble at a couple of my cache sites, they have the advantage that if you are careful you can use the lid as a rain cover while opening and signing the log.

Mind you some people go to extreme lengths with their cache disguises so the disguise could act as an even better cover

Interesting never realised that different 35mm seal better than others. The problem ive had is capilliary action when the lid sits in water. I use acetate sheets or wooden blocks and sharpie pens to overcome this.

Note this is not an i hate micros thread its a how to keep em dry thread. Ive found lots of damp micros and lots of dry ones as well working out why some stay dry and others dont is surely a good thing ? signing damp log books is never pleasant im sure we will all agree.

On larger containers ice cream tubs get soaked (and nibbled)

Some images of the types that work would be good ? also a link to that waterproof paper ?

also a link to that waterproof paper ?
    I use one of these note books and cut it as necessary to make nano strips or fold to fit a micro. One point, do not try to be clever and print on the micro size unless you are very sure your printer ink is waterproof - AFAIK all inkjet ink is not.
    Last edited by Just Roger; 11th June 2008 at 01:34 PM.

Alan White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Just Roger View Post
    sure your printer ink is waterproof - AFAIK all inkjet ink is not.
    Any printed material we put in a cache is, where possible, laser printed (our laser printer is b&w only). And laminated, unless the container is too small to accommodate the added rigidity.

We once found a stage of a multi in which were a set of A4 sheets with the instructions for the next stage. The inside of the container was half full of water and the sheets, unlaminated, were soaked and stuck together. Fortunately they'd been laser printed and, after carefully peeling one from the bunch, it was perfectly readable.

I've just replaced one of my micros, which was a grey+black 35mm container (but covered in glue and sand then painted brown and black, then stuck to a short bit of tree branch and magnetically attached to a tree trunk). I can confirm that it was wet (I tipped out the water before retiring it). Most similar containers I've come across have been damp to a greater or lesser extent.

Not a big problem in this case as the waterproof paper inside was holding up well. But I replaced it with one of those containers which are supposed to keep your valuables safe and dry whilst you swim (quite large actually, I can't imagine using it for the proper purpose). 80p from the local shop.

Found this cache bone dry recently in a sort of plastic flask that you might put a kid's lunch in - two lids are twice as effective. And you don't get much wetter than Rannoch moor!

Lydford Locators Guest

We can't praise Asda/Walmart twin clip-lock boxes highly enough. We had one of their boxes washed away by floods on the River Thames in Nov 2006, the box was found in March this year a considerable distance away along the Thames and the contents were perfectly dry.

They are certainly our first choice - available on the high street, in a variety of shapes and sizes (inlcluding some nice big ones), good price and certainly VERY watertight!

Default Quick Question...

Has anybody ever used a AA / AAA Battery Case - Clear Colour for a Cache before, i am toying with the idea of using one for a "off your trolley cache", it will be under a Trolley Park Canopy, i was after a clear flattish container, and these are not too expensive.

Also i dont suppose anybody knows of a Ammo Can supplier in Leicestershire, at a reasonable price...??

Mail order is quite pricey.
    I've done the usual search online, yellow pages stuff but came up with nowt.

used, no. Seen, yes! wouldn't recommend them -not in the slightest bit waterproof! might as well leave the log in a placcy bag and not bother with the container!

I can't think of any flat waterproof containers of the top of my head. Key safes are quite popular but also prone to leakage. You may need to improvise!

OoooK.

So they have been used then.

I have purchased a Mini sewing kit, just for the clear plastic container but its a bit wider than the battery case, might place that with just magnets. and leave it a week to see if it gets spotted.

For micros, I now use the soft drink bottle preforms.. These are probably as waterproof as things get.. Apart from being cheap, they are also immensely strong..

I also have gone to Preforms for micros too, for exactly the same reasons. There's even one round here that's submerged and when I found it it was bone dry inside

Quote Originally Posted by seacarrot View Post
    Has anybody ever used a AA / AAA Battery Case - Clear Colour for a Cache before, i am toying with the idea of using one for a "off your trolley cache", it will be under a Trolley Park Canopy, i was after a clear flattish container, and these are not too expensive.
    I assume you mean the ones that hold 4 AA batteries, the containers being about 2½" square? (Rather than the larger ones which hold 8 batteries and have a cushioned 'rubber' section inside?)

We often use the smaller ones as swop items for caches, but have never seen them used as a cache container. As Dave G has said they're not waterproof, but you state that you want to put it under the canopy so presumably it won't be totally exposed to the elements. If you ensure that the log is sealed within a small zip-lock plastic bag you might just get away with it for a few weeks, but I suspect it might need checking regularly - Which is fine, if it's conveniently near to you

You could always try it, then report back here - Be a beta-tester

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    I also have gone to Preforms for micros too, for exactly the same reasons. There's even one round here that's submerged and when I found it it was bone dry inside

Has anyone found a good source of supply for these where you don't have to get 5000 all at once and postage is reasonable?

I have had some from Geotees in the past: preforms

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I assume you mean the ones that hold 4 AA batteries, the containers being about 2½" square? (Rather than the larger ones which hold 8 batteries and have a cushioned 'rubber' section inside?)

We often use the smaller ones as swop items for caches, but have never seen them used as a cache container. As Dave G has said they're not waterproof, but you state that you want to put it under the canopy so presumably it won't be totally exposed to the elements. If you ensure that the log is sealed within a small zip-lock plastic bag you might just get away with it for a few weeks, but I suspect it might need checking regularly - Which is fine, if it's conveniently near to you

You could always try it, then report back here - Be a beta-tester
    Hello, I've placed one tonight as a test just to see what happens to it and how it fairs.
    To be honest you can see it up there, looking back at me.

But now I've discovered one of those cases that hold a SD card thingy for memory cards, much flatter and has a little lock. Just need to design a log that it can hold.

Thanks for your help. :cheers:

Dark_Faerie Guest

I have 3 caches using tubs made by 'white furze', all 4 major supermarkets sell them as their own brand container, check the bottom to get the right one's (Asda only does one size, the rest do a range). One's been under rocks next to a tree for a year, another is wedged between a bush and a wall (since March). Never had any problems. Plus they're quite cheap. Just had a four way lock container leak salad dressing all over my work bag whereas my white furze tubs have never leaked.

zwei ormers Guest

An alternative to preforms are doctor's urine sample bottles.
    For a big cache has anyone tried using those plastic orange Jacob's cracker boxes?
    How well do Vitalite margerine tubs work, my mum's got shedloads of both of those!
    Other possibilities are the rounded screwtop handcream containers such as those Nivea use, or those readymade pasta sauce or posh yoghurt pots with resealable lids.

zwei ormers Guest

Doctors urine sample bottles would work well for micros.
    As I'm having posting troubles can anyone see another post by me in this thread?
    Last edited by zwei ormers; 26th March 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zwei ormers View Post
    As I'm having posting troubles can anyone see another post by me in this thread?
    Yes, I can see your previous post and the others we discussed. PM on its way.

Could someone who's not on the committee post to confirm that, just to make sure that it's not the case that I'm only seeing them because I have Admin privileges? Thanks!

keehotee Guest

Yep - I can see you too......

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by seacarrot View Post
    Hello, I've placed one tonight as a test just to see what happens to it and how it fairs.
    To be honest you can see it up there, looking back at me.

But now I've discovered one of those cases that hold a SD card thingy for memory cards, much flatter and has a little lock. Just need to design a log that it can hold.

Thanks for your help. :cheers:
    These are for more waterproof....

....and attract fewer disparraging logs from nano haters h34r: h34r:

So can I ....
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Yep - I can see you too......
    gazooks wrote: So can I ....
    Thanks for the confirmations!.

zwei ormers Guest

How about this for a good deal, urine sample bottles at 29p each!!
    http://www.gpsupplies.com/Product/Bl...les_x_100.aspx
    would be excellent for micros or stages in a multi/offset. For bigger caches the urine cups look worthwhile.
    Last edited by zwei ormers; 20th May 2009 at 03:44 PM.

How about this for a good deal, urine sample bottles at 29p each!!
    http://www.gpsupplies.com/Product/Bl...les_x_100.aspx
    would be excellent for micros or stages in a multi/offset. For bigger caches the urine cups look worthwhile.
    Not a bad price, though those are a hard plastic that tends to become brittle, have a look for the softer polypropylene ones.

I think my doctor has sussed me out, I've been to see him three times in the last month for various 'kidney' related problems and now he wants to know why I haven't returned any of the sample bottles

These are for more waterproof....

....and attract fewer disparraging logs from nano haters h34r: h34r:

h34r:

keehotee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by matrix View Post

h34r:
    They look great - apart from that bl**dy horrible big green sticker on the sides.
    Ruins the camo !!!!!!

Wouldn't one of your laser cut stencils and some olive green spray paint have done a much better job??

lol

They look great - apart from that bl**dy horrible big green sticker on the sides.
    Ruins the camo !!!!!!

Wouldn't one of your laser cut stencils and some olive green spray paint have done a much better job??

lol
    They are not actually mine I just like the photo

I have a couple almost ready for release using my stencil and some camo paint .