Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Terracaching in the UK ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Terracaching in the UK ...

... is starting to build up in activity - but it could use a few more caches being placed.

If you are a member of TC.com, why not take advantage of the good weather and place a terracache - even a virtual cache if you just want to 'dip you toe in the waters' (virtuals are still permitted on TC.com).

If no-one places caches, there are no caches to be found.

Cache well !
    :cheers:

Paul

I'll tell me ol' man when he gets in that I fancy a shallow paddle .
    What about locationless ?
    We like Greens

Quote Originally Posted by t.a.folk View Post
    What about locationless ?
    Yep, locationless caches are there too!
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

I've just managd to join up and had a look, the caches are very sparce the only one anywhere near me is also list on GC.COM and I've done it already, never mind now of some fantastic spots round here that I have been unable to get permission to place an actual box so I'll try and work out how to set a locationless soon

I've been a member for some time now but the main bar to getting more caches listed is their policy of not allowing Terracaches to be cross-listed on GC.com

pklong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    I've been a member for some time now but the main bar to getting more caches listed is their policy of not allowing Terracaches to be cross-listed on GC.com
    Well that's a show stopper then, they won't be getting any caches from me

Philip

For information -

(from Terracaching's Wiki )

... The TerraCaching community generally prefers that caches listed here be unique to this site. However, since every cache is judged on it's own merits, exceptions are always possible. ...

Talk with your sponsors ... ask if they would consider approving a cross-listed cache - they may agree to one or two to get an area started.
    Last edited by Lord Darcy; 19th June 2008 at 06:50 PM.
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

Lord Darcy wrote:
    ... The TerraCaching community generally prefers that caches listed here be unique to this site. However, since every cache is judged on it's own merits, exceptions are always possible. ...
    Thanks for that, Paul - I thought I'd seen something like that on there somewhere, but when I looked for it the other day I couldn't find it again!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

I don't know about others, but I'd rather spend a day caching and find two or three well thought out highly-rated caches than a dozen micros about which I wonder "why have they been placed?", they may well add a smiley to my total but don't do a lot for me. (and I'm guilty about placing micros too ).

or is it "all about the numbers"?

On GC.com a micro on a power trail is "worth" the same as a "great cache" - on TC.com a "great cache" is rewarded with a high MCE (measure of cache excellence).
    Last edited by Lord Darcy; 20th June 2008 at 04:46 AM.
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

I'm not (wasn't) a member of TerraCaching and I'm really not sure yet if I want to use 2 separate sites. However, the TerraCaching model means I can't even see what it looks like without registering and getting a couple of sponsors.

So I have now created an account (amberel) and am looking for sponsors please.

The site was painfully slow and unreliable, at least half the time I got "page not found" when trying to register, and I had to submit the activation email 7 times over a 1 hour period before that returned with anything other than "page not found". Was I just unlucky, or is it normally like this?

Rgds, Andy

I did sign up for Terracaching when I first started but never used the site due to the lack of caches in my area.

After a while I got a warning that unless I used it I would be 'expelled' - which I duly was after another couple of weeks.

Never been back to look at the site as GC.COM keeps me very busy.

So many caches - so little time (work gets in the way)
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Quote Originally Posted by gazooks View Post
    After a while I got a warning that unless I used it I would be 'expelled' - which I duly was after another couple of weeks.
    Oh you naughty boy! I hope you don't get expelled if you have logged caches but then can't log on to the site for a while for any reason.

Rgds, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by gazooks View Post
    I did sign up for Terracaching when I first started but never used the site due to the lack of caches in my area.

I think that you must have had a very intolerant sponsor. I may well prefer sponsorees that are active but to withdraw sponsorship because of a lack of activity is a bit harsh. An encouraging email would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by amberel View Post
    ... However, the TerraCaching model means I can't even see what it looks like without registering and getting a couple of sponsors.

So I have now created an account (amberel) and am looking for sponsors please.

The site was painfully slow and unreliable, at least half the time I got "page not found" when trying to register, and I had to submit the activation email 7 times over a 1 hour period before that returned with anything other than "page not found". Was I just unlucky, or is it normally like this? ...
    Maps and cache descriptions (but not precise locations - like GC.com) are generally available to non-members ... see https://www.terracaching.com/gmap.cgi ... the Wiki (aka TCki) https://www.terracaching.com/tcki/index.php/Intro

The TC server can be slower than GC and I was also having quite a few problems in the last few hours, but normally it isn't so bad as it has been this morning.

Lack of caches in you area? - Why not place one or two? Maybe a virtual - yes,TC still list virtuals. It can be a "chicken and egg" situation - no caches=no activity, no activity=no caches.
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Darcy View Post
    Maps and cache descriptions (but not precise locations - like GC.com) are generally available to non-members ... see https://www.terracaching.com/gmap.cgi ... the Wiki (aka TCki) https://www.terracaching.com/tcki/index.php/Intro

The TC server can be slower than GC and I was also having quite a few problems in the last few hours, but normally it isn't so bad as it has been this morning.

Lack of caches in you area? - Why not place one or two? Maybe a virtual - yes,TC still list virtuals. It can be a "chicken and egg" situation - no caches=no activity, no activity=no caches.
    Sorry, I didn't spot the route to seeing the cache pages without signing up. Still haven't actually; even using your link, it still keeps bombing out on me before I can do anything.

Depending on what I find when I get to see anything I might be prepared to cross list some of my better caches if that was permitted, which still isn't clear to me. But I think I'd want to see how things went before setting a cache unuiquely for TC.

The virtuals put me off a bit. I've done a couple of grandfathered ones on GC and they didn't float my boat at all. I saw the earlier comments about putting some virtuals on TC because they aren't allowed on GC, and I fear if TC ended up with loads of virtuals as a result, it would be less attractive to me.

Rgds, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Darcy View Post
    I must be as thick as 2 short ones. I found the fairly obscure link from the home page to the maps, but for the life of me I can't see how to get to the cache pages.

Not helped at all by the speed of the site, it's still running like treacle.

Sandvika has sponsored me (thank-you), so one down and one to go.

Rgds, Andy

... The virtuals put me off a bit. I've done a couple of grandfathered ones on GC and they didn't float my boat at all. I saw the earlier comments about putting some virtuals on TC because they aren't allowed on GC, and I fear if TC ended up with loads of virtuals as a result, it would be less attractive to me. ...
    That's fine, if virtuals are not your scene, ignore them. I merely suggested them as an 'easy to post' cache.

I must be as thick as 2 short ones. I found the fairly obscure link from the home page to the maps, but for the life of me I can't see how to get to the cache pages.
    On the maps page, click on a pin to bring up the detail balloon, click on the cache name for the cache page.
    Paul (Lord Darcy)

nobbynobbs Guest

I've just been over there reading a couple of things and several thoughts occurred.

While they say the don't allow cross posting they also say that they use playground rules in that we all decide what will and wont be allowed.

So basically why not cross list the best caches on your list and do a load of virtuals? Use the basic GAGB guidelines for permission and logical placements without upsetting land owners and so on.

At the end of the day so what if people post finds on both sites? I use caching as an excuse to go for good walks so I'd have another excuse to go to the same place.

I'm very tempted to start cherry picking my better ones ( if any exist!)