Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Stinging nettles, Immunity too

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    304

    Default Stinging nettles, Immunity too

    I was told that if you got stung enough times by stinging nettles that you would become immune to the sting, what I would like to know is - How many stings does it take before immunity kicks in? I am into my hundreds but not quite in the Thousands yet am I nearly there? Also does the immunity last forever or do I have to go through this on a yearly basis?

    I look forward to reading your comments

  2. #2
    julzgeraghty Guest

    Default

    I was told that if I eat my crust my hair would be curly! In fact I haven't got enough left now to be curly. I don't give much hope for your nettle story either.
    Julzgeraghty

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    I've got a cache or two that would probably help you build up your immunity right now, Fiona... h34r:h34r:h34r:
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  4. #4
    keehotee Guest

    Default

    You have to receive approximately 147 stings per kilogram of body mass.
    These have to be received on an annual basis, and some particularly hard cachers have been known to organise nettle parties at the beginning of the season where they take it in turn to strip to their underwear before being whipped by nettle wielding friends.....







































    not really

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    keehotee wrote:
    ... not really
    Oh, how disappointing, that was beginning to sound interesting... h34r:
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  6. #6
    molfrew-mosstoad Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    You have to receive approximately 147 stings per kilogram of body mass.
    These have to be received on an annual basis, and some particularly hard cachers have been known to organise nettle parties at the beginning of the season where they take it in turn to strip to their underwear before being whipped by nettle wielding friends.....







































    not really

    ROFL, sounds like you know som efun people or have an imagination that scares me!

    As for the stings we have been out caching quite a bit the last few days and Im so stubbon I still wear shorts.... My legs will take a bit to recover ouch!

  7. #7
    nobbynobbs Guest

    Default

    I without an annual ritual seem to be somewhat immune. As long as I can ignore them for the first five minutes and not scratch at all they fade away without any further problems.

    Been like that for years.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Land of the Bear and Ragged Staff!
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keehotee View Post
    You have to receive approximately 147 stings per kilogram of body mass.
    These have to be received on an annual basis, and some particularly hard cachers have been known to organise nettle parties at the beginning of the season where they take it in turn to strip to their underwear before being whipped by nettle wielding friends.....







































    not really
    Of course, everyone knows you have roll around naked in the first nettles of the season, at midnight, for it to have any effect!
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

    * Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post
    I without an annual ritual seem to be somewhat immune. As long as I can ignore them for the first five minutes and not scratch at all they fade away without any further problems.

    Been like that for years.
    Well I'll just pinch your blood and hope it gives me immunity too

  10. #10
    nobbynobbs Guest

    Default



    it' s early in the morning but my addled brain seems to remmber some spray you can get in the chemist for stings and bites that'll be anti histamine so would be a great addition to the first aid carried in the caching bag.

  11. #11
    molfrew-mosstoad Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbynobbs View Post


    it' s early in the morning but my addled brain seems to remmber some spray you can get in the chemist for stings and bites that'll be anti histamine so would be a great addition to the first aid carried in the caching bag.

    I think you mean Wasp-eze for stings & bites etc works well. As we cache with kids we always have some aswell as some cream.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molfrew-mosstoad View Post
    I think you mean Wasp-eze for stings & bites etc works well. As we cache with kids we always have some aswell as some cream.
    Are you sure that shouldn't say "As we always cache in shorts we always have some" and they call me a nutter

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    220

    Default

    We've found that Sudocreme works well for stings, it's also brilliant for sunburn - we covered our son in it when he got sunburnt and the next morning he had a lovely pale glow except for the bits we missed which were still bright red!
    Who's had the accident!!
    Who called the doctor?

  14. #14
    molfrew-mosstoad Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Eyes View Post
    Are you sure that shouldn't say "As we always cache in shorts we always have some" and they call me a nutter

    lol I should know better at my age
    Last edited by molfrew-mosstoad; 30th June 2008 at 06:43 AM.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DR. Ape View Post
    We've found that Sudocreme works well for stings, it's also brilliant for sunburn - we covered our son in it when he got sunburnt and the next morning he had a lovely pale glow except for the bits we missed which were still bright red!
    Exellent I'll try that does it work for bites too?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •