Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Do you want a lodger?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default Do you want a lodger?

    Ok, well ive had enough of the "other side" and I'm going to make a concerted effort to make this my "Home forum" for anything geocaching related.
    I can't be doing with those across the pond spoiling how the sport/forum used to be anymore

    I have 10 days to decide if i am going to renew my memership to groundspeak......it's a close call at the moment!!!

    Terry

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    676

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by wadders View Post
    Ok, well ive had enough of the "other side" and I'm going to make a concerted effort to make this my "Home forum" for anything geocaching related.
    I can't be doing with those across the pond spoiling how the sport/forum used to be anymore

    I have 10 days to decide if i am going to renew my memership to groundspeak......it's a close call at the moment!!!

    Terry
    One thing to think about, PM Fee's are a valuable revenue source for the site which you use so much. Without revenue coming in there will be

    i: No Site
    ii: No way of moving the site forward into New Coding and removing many hassles of the site being slow or not available.

    ii being the most important one

    So by failing to renew your PM at the end of the day your hurting yourself

    Many are not happy with the Modding over there,so why not follow over countries caching community's . And actively drag people screaming and kicking into here :socool:
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

    Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    One thing to think about, PM Fee's are a valuable revenue source for the site which you use so much. Without revenue coming in there will be

    i: No Site
    ii: No way of moving the site forward into New Coding and removing many hassles of the site being slow or not available.

    ii being the most important one

    So by failing to renew your PM at the end of the day your hurting yourself

    Many are not happy with the Modding over there,so why not follow over countries caching community's . And actively drag people screaming and kicking into here :socool:
    A group of people could start cross posting everything over here.

    If we had a congrats section im sure it would be popular

    Also a cache promotion / recomendation section split by county ?? a bit like the old GUK forum
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I too am trying to remember to make more use of this and other "local" forums. It's less hassle not having to try to remember not to upset a few certain people who seem EXTREMELY sensitive to what most people here would consider as the normal rough and tumble of adults having a discussion. The sort of thing that takes place most evenings at the local pub (Pub? Did someone mention that taboo subject? ) Posting links on the GSP pointing to discussions here and elsewhere might be a worthwhile exercise.

    As for whether to renew your Premium Membership subscription at GSP, that's a separate matter. You would be paying for the upkeep of the country's, and the world's, largest listing service. You would also be paying to get the immensely useful PQ's without which many of us would find it hard to operate effectively.

    I would consider the forums and geocache listings as two separate elements and by supporting the former you can easily exist without participating in the latter.

    Indeed certain people have found it quite possible to "work" on cache listings while leaving the forums alone

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Now if we can just persuade Edgemaster to come and join us and modify his Greasemonkey scripts for this forum...:socool:

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R.a.M.P. View Post
    Now if we can just persuade Edgemaster to come and join us and modify his Greasemonkey scripts for this forum...:socool:
    No need congrats threads annoy you ? dont visit that section of the forum.

    Not interested in techno wotsits dont visit the techno forum.

    The GSP UK forum would of benefited from splitting up years ago but all requests fall on death ears despite it being the third most popular, here its a quick request and if theres a need bang new section.

    See the trigpointing section , coins , regional areas.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Church Warsop, Notts
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadders View Post
    Ok, well ive had enough of the "other side" and I'm going to make a concerted effort to make this my "Home forum" for anything geocaching related.
    I can't be doing with those across the pond spoiling how the sport/forum used to be anymore

    I have 10 days to decide if i am going to renew my memership to groundspeak......it's a close call at the moment!!!

    Terry
    I can do no better than refer you to Hornet's posting, which summarises it nicely.

    Incidentally, last month I happened to bump in to Miss Jenn, Rothstafari, Eric and (not least) Jeremy.

    As you've perhaps experienced at events with others who have a reputation as a bit "hard" in the forums, they were all less abrasive face to face than sometimes comes across. I went away pretty convinced that these guys are part of the same geocaching community as us, and have the same basic interests. So the view of them as faceless bureaucrats issuing edicts which are designed to spoil our fun, is at odds with my opinion of this friendly and approachable little group of people.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markandlynn View Post
    No need congrats threads annoy you ? dont visit that section of the forum.

    Not interested in techno wotsits dont visit the techno forum.

    The GSP UK forum would of benefited from splitting up years ago but all requests fall on death ears despite it being the third most popular, here its a quick request and if theres a need bang new section.

    See the trigpointing section , coins , regional areas.
    Yes, but the "New Posts" list contains all those sections and it would be nice to suppress them once and for all.
    Hey, this is just nit-picking and only becomes a problem if the volume really grows over here opcorn:

  9. #9
    nobbynobbs Guest

    Default

    Always happy to have people use our forums more often as in real terms they aren't "ours" but "yours" .

    we're always happy to receive requests for new sections and ideas and when possible they will be implemented.

    No point discussing whether someone is a faceless busybody or not, they don't come in here and even if they did they would just be another customer.
    Pull up a chair grab a beer and chat away :cheers:

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Incidentally, last month I happened to bump in to Miss Jenn, Rothstafari, Eric and (not least) Jeremy.
    I've met a couple of them, and have spoken to several. Although they run the show, and are very easy to get on with socially, they seem to be unduly influenced by a small group of volunteers with very firm, almost fundamentalist, views on how the sport and the website should develop.

    Dave and I tried to break through that barrier but despite the blandishments the result was still the same.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Church Warsop, Notts
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Perhaps we ought to meet with them on a regular basis. Is there some sort of grant available to fund the flights?

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Perhaps we ought to meet with them on a regular basis. Is there some sort of grant available to fund the flights?
    Sure, just apply to freebiereviewerperks@groundspeak etc.

    Oh, no! That's just for volunteers, sorry. h34r:

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Welcome to our forums, Terry! :cheers:

    I agree with what others have said about Premium Membership of gc.com - no matter what one's opinion of how the site is run might be, it does need those fees to provide the service it gives us.

    Edgemaster's a member here, so I'd suggest a PM if a thread-hiding script would be useful.

    Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this, but I lost my broadband connection for 24 hours or so, and I'm up to my eyes catching up on things.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Welcome to our forums, Terry! :cheers:

    I agree with what others have said about Premium Membership of gc.com - no matter what one's opinion of how the site is run might be, it does need those fees to provide the service it gives us.

    Edgemaster's a member here, so I'd suggest a PM if a thread-hiding script would be useful.

    Sorry to have taken so long to reply to this, but I lost my broadband connection for 24 hours or so, and I'm up to my eyes catching up on things.

    Bill, i did send you a pm, but to save you answering that, you might or someone else may be able to tell me if it is possible to edit my name, all i want to do is capitilise the "W"

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    Bill, i did send you a pm, but to save you answering that, you might or someone else may be able to tell me if it is possible to edit my name, all i want to do is capitilise the "W"
    Consider it done

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Eyes View Post
    Consider it done
    :socool: Thats better, now i feel complete.

    Thankyou xx

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    5,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    Bill, i did send you a pm, but to save you answering that, you might or someone else may be able to tell me if it is possible to edit my name, all i want to do is capitilise the "W"
    Terry, I haven't received your PM for some reason - it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

    Fiona, thanks for sorting that!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •