Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Setting first cache

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jenandberry Guest

Default Setting first cache

I'm looking at setting my first cache and have a good idea or two for them (one trad, one multi). Can anyone give me pointers of common pitfalls or any other help further than whats on the 'hide a cache' page of geocaching.com. Also, if i want a cache to go live on a partiucular day can I do that, how far in advance do I need to submit it or should I just submit it near the day and hope? Thanks, J&B

Common pitfalls are

Poor or wrong coordinates
    misclassified types. ie not at the posted coordinates but posted as a Trad.
    Exesive mentioning of a business

Delayed publications are easy, just not a specific time . Submit as early as possible wit a request to be published on the specific date. That allows time if there are any issues.
    If you wish to contact me, please see my GC profile, the quickest way at the moment tough is via a post on here, or alternatively via PM on GC's UK Forum.

Oh and I'm the ejit who Reviews caches
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Ive written some advice on this on our website

http://markandlynn.croaghan.com/Geoc...eocaching.html

Hope it helps.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

jenandberry Guest

Thanks, hopefully it will be ok.

Is there any way of 'averaging' GPS positions if your GPSr won't do it for you? I have taken several readings due to dense tree cover but I don't know which one to choose. I was going to see which one looked closest on GoogleEarth if there is no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by jenandberry View Post

Is there any way of 'averaging' GPS positions if your GPSr won't do it for you? I have taken several readings due to dense tree cover but I don't know which one to choose...
    Usually when you take several readings it's only small differences in the last 3 digits. I've always averaged the readings this way -

Say you have taken 5 readings and they've come out as .738, .736, .740, .738, and .735.

I add together 738+736+740+738+735 = 3687

Then divide that number by the number of readings taken
    3687/5 = 737.4

So in this case I'd use .737 as the final digits.

But maybe somebody with A-level Maths will now tell me the errors of my ways

There is an excel spreadsheet on our website to do averaging.

I walk about 100 yards from the loaction and walk back, place the gps above the target wait for 2 mins and mark a waypoint.

Do this from all four directions

Average the results.

Key them into your gps

Walk about 0.1 miles away and go back to your cache following the arrow.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."

jenandberry Guest

Ok, I can manage that. I've GPS works is a bit of a mystery to me so I wasn't sure if that would be correct.

Next problem (sorry!) What is the difference between the long and short descriptions?