Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: National Grid for Learning

paul.blitz Guest

It seems that the government's National Grid for Learning recently approached David Plunton (Bramblers) and asked him for some words about geocaching from an educational point of view - the result can be seen at:

National Grid for Learning article

The important thing to note here is that this national government organisation contacted David.... an indication that people in government are becoming aware of our sport.... and another reason wht GeoCaching needs the GAGB to represent the sport.

As David said to me "It's just another indication that geocaching is starting to gain mainstream support."

So, once again, well done for a good job, David!

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Aug 12 2003, 08:07 PM
    So, once again, well done for a good job, David!
    I'll second that !
    <span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>totally brassed off </span></span></span>

Wot Can one say.. Spot on.. as long as spot is 55 deg 23.44 mins n and 2 deg 11.059 w.

where ever that is
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

Originally posted by Moss Trooper@Aug 12 2003, 11:27 PM
    Wot Can one say.. Spot on.. as long as spot is 55 deg 23.44 mins n and 2 deg 11.059 w.

where ever that is
    3.3 miles SE of here.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

MCL Guest

Originally posted by paul.blitz@Aug 12 2003, 09:07 PM
    The important thing to note here is that this national government organisation contacted David.... an indication that people in government are becoming aware of our sport.... and another reason wht GeoCaching needs the GAGB to represent the sport.

Abso-flaming-lutely&#33;

Teasel Guest

Woo hoo - nice one David&#33;&#33;&#33; B)

Well done, a great article.

On a related note, how many schools and youth organisations are now involved in Geocaching in the UK. I seem to remember that there were some travel bugs released by schools at the HCC event, plus I&#39;ve seen that there is a scout group around Basingstoke playing the game.

Richard

THE BRAMBLERS Guest

On a related note, how many schools and youth organisations are now involved in Geocaching in the UK. I seem to remember that there were some travel bugs released by schools at the HCC event, plus I&#39;ve seen that there is a scout group around Basingstoke playing the game.

Richard
    We started the ball rolling in the week after the event with regard the to HCC travel bugs. I gave a school assembly explaining all about geocaching and the travel bugs and the school has now placed a cache near to their grounds and sent off one of the bugs from there. This was very popular with the children and we all had a great time finding a suitable spot etc. The school will now be following the bug&#39;s travels and will also be learning about geocaching and it&#39;s related subjects in a lesson each week. (I will add that I work at this school).

As it was so close to the end of the school term, we were unable to do a great deal more, but as soon as the new term starts, then it will be "all systems go" and the schools in Hampshire will get details on how to track the travel bugs and any further information they would like.

The actual bugs (not the replicas that we sent on their travels) will be doing a circuit of the schools so that the children can see the bugs first hand.

The three HCC bugs released are all well on their travels.

Purple Emperor
    Giant Wood Wasp
    Stag Beetle

Debbie

Omally Guest

Excellent stuff&#33;

Originally posted by THE BRAMBLERS@Aug 14 2003, 09:41 AM

The three HCC bugs released are all well on their travels.

Purple Emperor
    Giant Wood Wasp
    Stag Beetle

Thats great. Are there links to their GC.com pages on the Hampshire County Council pages?

The reason I ask is that we&#39;re off to see Beth&#39;s parents in Alberta in October, and the high school in Medicine Hat has a keen geocacher on it&#39;s staff, who appears to be adding the odd geocache to his Geography field trips&#33; We thought it might be good to try to get one of the HCC Schools bugs across and into one of the Medicine Hat schools caches, maybe give the schools a chance to exchange Geocaching stories etc.

Incidentally if there are any other travel bugs that want a lift to Canada when we go we can pick them up from any of the caches around Reading/Basingstoke, as the Heathrow bug hotel doesn&#39;t seem to be about any more.

Richard