Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Lacto banned?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lacto banned?????

Some one just text me to say Peter has been banned form the forums!!!!
    Is this true? I don't go over there any more, so would be interested as to why?

Wadders
    Last edited by Wadders; 8th August 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Yes, Peter's been given a three-day ban from the Groundspeak forums, without a warning, for posting in their Geocoins forum that Mandy (Us 4 and Jess) has some Mega Event calendars left and would be willing to trade them for geocoins. Apparently that was an inappropriate post. Go figure... h34r:

If you don't want to visit the other place you'll find more info in our Mega Event Calendars thread.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Yes, I (The Hornet) have been banned from the forum for 3 days for making the mistake of thinking there might be a little leeway in the Geocoin forum.

I have also been banned as Lactodorum for asking people to use an alternative contact.

So there'll be no posting from me "over there". I can still receive e-mails (at the moment) but I am in no position to answer some of the points being made by certain people.

Absolutely barking mad - a total knee jerk reaction to a post that due to the heavy handed interpretation of the fourm guidelines was considered in breach of the rules. What ever happened to Mods issueing cautions or explaining to people what they've done wrong when people transgress the rules.
    It makes me thankfull that the UK mods have always been approachable and level headed when it came to rule interpretation.
    I'm gobsmacked that they've banned you and even more confused as according to the geocoin forum rules you can post charity related threads
    I'd like to thank the hornet for trying to help Mandy out only to get two bans in one day - elevating him to legendary evil supervillan status on the groundspeak forums.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

As I'm not allowed to answer on the GSP forums I would like to make a couple of points.

Hello,
    I am one of the geocoin forum moderators. I am the one who suspended the posting rights of The Hornet. The Hornet was not banned. There is a big difference between being suspended for a short time, and being banned.
    If you are banned, you do not come back.
    I think this may be another instance of speaking similar, but different languages. That may be the meaning in American, but in the English I speak a Ban can have both meanings. My "Ban" was for three days, whatever the word used.

I feel more strongly that The Hornet should have been aware of the guidelines
    A three day suspension is the normal time given for a first offense and this was the first offense in this case in the geocoins forums.
    As you say, I was a forum moderator and I do know the guidelines that moderators follow. I have a copy. The relevant section as I see it says
    "If informal warnings don't get the message across, issue a 10% warning on the member's warn meter. Copy the warning text into a PM with the subject "Groundspeak Forums Warning" so that the member receives a copy. ALL warnings should link to the post or thread in question, explain which forum guideline(s) were violated, and lay out the future consequences.

For more serious violations, or if a simple warning doesn't work, read on!
    "
    and
    When to temporarily disable the posting ability

• Repeated violation of the forum guidelines.

• First Offense: 3 Days
    If those guidelines had been followed I would have been warned for my misdemeanour. I received no warning, I was banned (suspended) for 3 days right off. If you had warned me, as is your right as forum moderator, I might have been "miffed" but I would have accepted it. It was the immediate ban/suspension that annoyed me.

As for using the appeals process, yes that is an option. However I know how that works. We'll see.

I'd like to thank the hornet for trying to help Mandy out only to get two bans in one day - elevating him to legendary evil supervillan status on the groundspeak forum.

Too funny..........now for your next trick Peter !!

And I would like to add your doing "nowt" for my calendar sales LOL !!

I did have a good laugh ealier though...

Someone said " Mandy do you think now is a good time to ask GSP for permission for next years calendars" h34r:

Pleased I have friends in the regionals

M

Just for completeness and as it is no longer visible, here is my original, "offending", post in the Geocoin forum.
    "The UK's first ever Mega Event was hosted last weekend. As part of the fund raising activities a well respected UK cacher was selling specially made Mega Event commemorative calendars (produced with Groundspeak's permission). Some of these were left over and so they are being offered either as swaps for Dog related geocoins or for sale. I realise that these are not trackables but they are Geocaching items, produced by a Geocacher, supporting a Geocaching event and approved by Groundspeak. I hope that given the special circumstances this will not cause any problems."