Thanks Thanks:  6

Thread: Mega Event 2 - 2009

Birdman-of-liskatraz Guest

Default Mega Event 2 - 2009

If there's to be a Mega Event in 2009 then plans need to be put in place very shortly.

After some discussion there's the basis of an Organising team who are keen (is keen the right word?) to organise the next Mega Event somewhere in the Southern part of the UK - I would think somewhere in the general area of Bristol, but don't hold me to that as yet.

If any other cachers are planning something similar can I ask that they contact us through my GC Profile so we can discuss matters further.

If anyone within striking distance of Bristol wishes to be involved with planning then again can they contact us via my GC Profile.

And many thanks to those cachers who've so readily said "Yes" to being involved.

Steve

Oh could someone rename the Current Mega Event 2009 thread to the correct 2008 one - Please.

The other 2009 thread did start out as being about 2009, but it long since became a 2008 thread, so I have now renamed it as requested.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Just a thought, would this not be better as a sticky at the top of the normal forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    Just a thought, would this not be better as a sticky at the top of the normal forums?
    I've moved both Mega Event threads here, and made this one a sticky. And I've removed the Mega Event sub-forum, as I now think it's probably better to have any and all Mega Event threads in here.

If the event is going to br near bristol I hope it will be the same weekend in August, as it looks as if I will be going to South Wales again thet weekend and should be able to pop over to the mega

Default Which weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-Eyes View Post
    If the event is going to br near bristol I hope it will be the same weekend in August, as it looks as if I will be going to South Wales again thet weekend and should be able to pop over to the mega
    I'll certainly try to fit in with your plans! I'll let you know :wacko:

The Cartooners Guest

We would like to be considered as part of the planning team for MEGA 2009.

Default The Date

After some discussion, we've agreed to plan the event over the weekend of the 7th - 9th August 2009.

At this stage we can't be any more detailed than to say the Mega Event itself will take place on the Saturday or Sunday, but other activities/events will be planned over the weekend.

Further details will posted here as they become available.

fraggle69 Guest

Have you asked GSP if you fulfill the requirements of a mega event that they will be happy to award 'mega status'? It seems from the odd email and thread on here that GSP may not award the mega status, even after all your hard work at fulfilling the requirements.

I'd be interested in hearing what the outcome is, especially as it's a different team and is being held at a different location.

The Second Mega Team Guest

Default Mega Event Status

We've had discussions with Michael at Groundspeak and there is no guarantee of automatic Mega Event status for the Second Event.

We have to submit the cache and apply for Mega Status on the merits of the event.

Fortunately we have Robin (Harrogate Hunters) on board for advice and so we can benefit from the experiences of the 1st UK Mega Event.

The cache page should be published very soon at which point we need people to sign up for the event as soon as they feel able to.

Default A little Questionnaire re Mega 1

Some of you may have noticed that we posted a link to a little questionnaire on the forum over there, until it was pulled as we'd not asked for the required permissions. We've asked for permission to run it over there - in the meantime, if anyone who went to the Mega Event at Harrogate has a minute to spare, you could give us some feedback http://www.mega2.org.uk/q1/20080820-e296.php

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Second Mega Team View Post
    it was pulled as we'd not asked for the required permissions.

I sometimes want to weep

... it was pulled as we'd not asked for the required permissions. ...
    Why on earth does a link to a questionnaire about a caching event need permission on a caching forum? How truly bizarre... hmy:

fraggle69 Guest

We've had discussions with Michael at Groundspeak and there is no guarantee of automatic Mega Event status for the Second Event.

We have to submit the cache and apply for Mega Status on the merits of the event.

Fortunately we have Robin (Harrogate Hunters) on board for advice and so we can benefit from the experiences of the 1st UK Mega Event.

The cache page should be published very soon at which point we need people to sign up for the event as soon as they feel able to.
    With Robin onboard, I am sure you'll do ok. My concern is that regardless of meeting all the criteria, that it's at GSP's dicretion as to whether you gain mega status. Good Luck!

fraggle69 Guest

Some of you may have noticed that we posted a link to a little questionnaire on the forum over there, until it was pulled as we'd not asked for the required permissions. We've asked for permission to run it over there - in the meantime, if anyone who went to the Mega Event at Harrogate has a minute to spare, you could give us some feedback http://www.mega2.org.uk/q1/20080820-e296.php

Many thanks
    Thats an anti uk mega event log deletion.

Default An announcement

Weston-super-Mega 2009

The UK Mega Event Committee are pleased to announce that the UK's Second Mega Event will take place on Sunday 9th August 2009.

After much consideration, visiting and discussion we have booked The Winter Gardens at Weston-super-Mare, Somerset for the Event itself. Further events are being planned for the rest of the weekend, including a Camping Event at a close by location.

Transport wise Weston super Mare is just 4 miles from junction 21 of the M5, there are trains direct from Paddington (2.5 hours), Bristol airport is 16 miles away, with a bus service.

Weston offers a wide range of places to stay and places to eat. Details of these and of the local area can be found at Visit Somerset

Further details of the Event and associated events, as well as booking details etc will be published shortly.

You can contact the organisers at mega@mega2.org.uk
    Last edited by The Wombles; 22nd September 2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Making pretty!

Default Repsonse

Many thanks
    As we won't be allowed to run the link to the questionnaire on the Groundspeak Forum, I'd really appreciate it, if people could spread the word (and the link!) on local forums so we can get some feedback on the first event. Feedback so far has been amazingly useful - Thanks - Steve

As we won't be allowed to run the link to the questionnaire on the Groundspeak Forum, I'd really appreciate it, if people could spread the word (and the link!) on local forums so we can get some feedback on the first event. Feedback so far has been amazingly useful - Thanks - Steve

... and I still find that mind-bogglingly sad and stupid

I've put a post up about this on the new South Wales Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I've put a post up about this on the new South Wales Forum.

..................possibly a more positive action, if there is anyone out there with any influence with GSP, would be to ask them to reconsider the posting of a link in the UK forum

fraggle69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    ..................possibly a more positive action, if there is anyone out there with any influence with GSP, would be to ask them to reconsider the posting of a link in the UK forum
    That's a funny request, everybody knows our tiny UK voice matters not.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    Ever the optomist Dave

I am aware that when Steve's request to post the questionnaire on the UK Forum was turned down by GSP, a reason for the refusal was given. I have briefly discussed options with him.

It is up to Steve and the Mega2 Committee whether they wish to pursue the matter further.

Default Best forgotten

A reason was given, why an off site questionnaire wouldn't be allowed for possible technical/security issues.

I really think this issue is best put to bed and forgotten about, I'd rather we put our efforts into the forthcoming Mega event.

But psst - some more responses would be useful.

The Mega Event website has now gone live. We really need your support so please visit the site

http://www.mega2.org.uk/cms

Caching since 2001
    Founder member of GAGB (2003)
    Committee (2003-2013)
    Chair of GAGB (2010-2012)
    Negotiator of 18 Landowner Agreements
    GAGB Friend

MEGA CAMPING 2009

The Mega Camping Event has now been published!

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/cach...0-631b1915d6f7

Icarus Guest

Default Weston-super-Mega geocoins and brochure

Just to update everyone. We have now received the geocoins from Landsharkz - these have been limited to only 450, and there's not too many left. :

We have also sent the Mega Supporter brochure to the printers, these are also in limited numbers.

So...if you want a coin and a brochure and haven't already registered as a supporter, then now's the time to do it (even if you have previously only registered as an attendee).

Registration and other details can be found here (link), and the GC.com event page listing here (Weston-super-Mega).

Many thanks,

Weston-super-Mega Committee

Mega Event day has arrived and it is all about the numbers today …

Advanced Registration (11.15pm yesterday)

People = 1108

Caching Teams = 527

Thank you to everyone for making this possible - hope you all have a fantastic day at 'Weston-super-Mega 2009'

Simply Paul Guest

I had a smashing time and I hope everyone else did too; huge thanks to everyone who put hard work in on this. Combined with the generally excellent weather, your efforts resulted in a Mega event/s you can all be proud of. Roll on 2010 and ScotFest

A few people have asked about the cost of the Weston-super-Mega event and if there was any left over money etc.

The final cost was £7191.31

We had a surplus of £159.43 which has been split between three worthy charities chosen by the Mega committee members:

Dorset & Devon Air Ambulance
    Mountain Rescue
    Burnham Area Rescue Boat

The accounts have been finalised and the bank account closed. A summary can be found on the Mega website

The final number at registration was 1044 people (571 team names)

Thanks for that - I'm pleased to hear the finances worked out so well and you were able to make those donations!

Glad it broke even and the profit to charity.