Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if caching was ILLEGAL?

Default What would you do if caching was ILLEGAL?

And Groundspeak was closed down overnight? Not likely to happen, just a topic of convo

Would you find a new pasttime, or not?

I'd start proper trigging

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post
    And Groundspeak was closed down overnight? Not likely to happen, just a topic of convo

Ditto

I started caching because I got bored just walking with no purpose. So Trigging it would be.
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Quote Originally Posted by PopUpPirate View Post

Very wise.

I'd do some more waymarking, unless that was closed down at the same time (although it would be a bit difficult to see how that would be deemed illegal). Or perhaps use a different listing site for caches?

sTeamTraen Guest

I doubt if the two things mentioned in the original post would happen simultaneously, unless geocaching became a federal offence in the US, but the two halves make for interesting thought:

1. What would you do if caching were made illegal in the UK (for some obscure reason like "permanent foot&mouth outbreak" or "permanent war on terror" - oh wait, you've already got that - or "paedophile found with GPSr, Garmin UK closed down") but still went on in the rest of the world? Would there be "geospeakeasies"? Would the GAGB become the GLF? Would the Americans send Red Cross parcels full of geocoins?

2. What would the caching world do if Jeremy & Co sold up and took their ball home?

My bet, in the second case, would be on Opencaching. I think they're the only people with a sufficiently "scalable" concept. Of course, there would be one or two minor inconveniences, such as the absence of reviewers (which could end up getting caching banned after all), or having the major decisions being taken by a team of German people with ideology, which would have some "marketing issues".

Alan White Guest

If Groundspeak were closed down for whatever reason then perhaps that would result in a UK listing site run by UK cachers for the benefit of UK cachers .

Quote Originally Posted by sTeamTraen View Post
    Of course, there would be one or two minor inconveniences, such as the absence of reviewers (which could end up getting caching banned after all)
    I don't see the absence of reviewers as being a problem . Letterboxing has been around for a tad longer than caching and it doesn't seem to either have a problem without reviewers or to have been made illegal.

Of course, it could be argued that caching (and letterboxing) are already illegal in some areas because, as dino-irl once said, geocaching can be described as just organised littering.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    Of course, it could be argued that caching (and letterboxing) are already illegal in some areas because, as dino-irl once said, geocaching can be described as just organised littering.
    Good point: does anyone know whether leaving caches is strictly "legal" right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    Good point: does anyone know whether leaving caches is strictly "legal" right now?
    Everything is legal, unless specifically banned.

The placing of caches as an action in itself might not be specifically banned: but is it legal to deliberately abandon items in public areas? In other words, if littering is illegal then what's the difference between that and leaving caches lying around? Where does "fly tipping" end and cache placing begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Humphrey View Post
    The placing of caches as an action in itself might not be specifically banned: but is it legal to deliberately abandon items in public areas? In other words, if littering is illegal then what's the difference between that and leaving caches lying around? Where does "fly tipping" end and cache placing begin?
    The difference is in the intent. Caches are not abandoned, but deliberately placed for future finders. At least in theory...

Alan White Guest

I would never suggest that something found on the Internet is accurate or complete, but as this is intended to be a light-hearted thread....

From http://www.encams.org/uploads/public.../LitterLaw.pdf
    Litter can be as small as a sweet wrapper, as large as a bag
    of rubbish, or it can mean lots of items scattered about.
    The legislation also specifically clarifies that discarded gum
    products, cigarette ends and matches are types of litter.

The offence of leaving litter (section 87 of the
    Environmental Protection Act [EPA] 1990) applies where a
    person throws down, drops or otherwise deposits any litter
    in any place in the open air in the area of a principal litter
    authority to which the public has access with or without
    payment, and leaves it. There are some exemptions to this
    offence, including littering that is authorised by law or done
    by or with the consent of the person having control of the
    land: for full details please consult the legislation.
    A person is guilty of an offence if they throw down, drop
    or otherwise deposit any litter in any place in the area
    of a principal litter authority which is open to the air on at
    least one side, and leave it. It is immaterial whether the
    litter is deposited on land or in water.
    So there you are. A cache is litter unless placed with the permission of the landowner or inside a building .

Alan White Guest

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    The difference is in the intent. Caches are not abandoned, but deliberately placed for future finders. At least in theory...
    And not a very good one .

A person is guilty of an offence if they throw down, drop
    or otherwise deposit any litter in any place in the area
    of a principal litter authority which is open to the air on at
    least one side, and leave it.
    Nothing there about a defence of "It's OK. My friend will be along later to pick it up. He won't collect it either, but someone else will be along later...".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan White View Post
    And not a very good one .

Nothing there about a defence of "It's OK. My friend will be along later to pick it up. He won't collect it either, but someone else will be along later...".
    Yes, but that only applies to litter. Litter is, by definition, something thrown away or abandoned with no intention of being reclaimed or revisited. Caches aren't litter, so the above paragraph doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    Yes, but that only applies to litter. Litter is, by definition, something thrown away or abandoned with no intention of being reclaimed or revisited. Caches aren't litter, so the above paragraph doesn't apply.
    Absolutely, caches remain the property of the placer and are not discarded, the placer (if they follow cache placement guidelines) should maintain the cache and (in a perfect world) remove it if the cache gets archived.

Just a quick thought, does this mean that geocoin theives are infact just practicers of the stealthier side of CITO?
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

I was wondering what to do with my old fridge. Now I know to just drop it in a layby after writing on the side "not discarded: to be visited from time to time". Then it's all legal. :socool: