Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Monkeying Around in Wendover Woods (Bucks), Another Go Ape (if you want to) event

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Simply Paul Guest

Thumbs up Monkeying Around in Wendover Woods (Bucks), Another Go Ape (if you want to) event

When it's been approved (as there's no requirement to take part in the Go Ape activities I think it's when, not if!) I'll post a link to GC1EE9V, but in the meantime, from the event page:

Monkeying Around in Wendover Woods (Bucks)
    Sunday September 14th, from 12pm at Wendover Woods, near Aylesbury, Bucks.

Parking at the main car park (follow Wendover Woods signs, the entrance is opposite the golf course) is £3 all day, but if you continue along the road (or stop early if coming from the south of the woods) to N51 45.930 W000 41.874 you'll find other, free parking with access close by. A little 0.8mile walk to the event site from there though - Bring a bike?

There is no requirement to take part in the Go Ape activities to attend this event! But if you'd like to, prebooking is vital. At the moment there are 56 spaces available between 12pm-2pm on that Sunday. You can book via this link (amend the form details with the number in your group) or by calling 0870 444 5562 but please wait until the event has been approved if you're keen to get your smiley! If you're not taking part, there's under-cover seating, a cafe in the woods close by, BBQ areas, ample parking, loos etc.

Important!:
    Go Ape's rules are you have to be 10 or over, and up to 17 years old you have to be accompanied by an 18+ adult. Minimum height is 140cm (4ft 7") and maximum weight is 130Kg (20.5 Stone). You need to wear suitable closed-toe shoes/boots, be physically fit and able to handle heights! If you chicken out before going too far you can get a refund. Non participants are free to watch 'Apes' (18+ £25 for around 2-3hours) and 'Baboons' (10-17years £20 for the same course) from below, take photos, throw bananas, etc.

Additional Hints ( Decrypt )
    [Bring your own ape suit]

More information here as and when I have it, or feel free to ask questions

Awww that's a pity - me and mine will be up at the Rivington camping event. Hope you have fun

Ah: that's what it's all about! I couldn't make head or tail of it on the Groundspeak forum: seems to be written in some sort of gibbonish...

And then the thread was closed so you couldn't even ask what was going on! Perhaps the way to proceed is to make the cache description a puzzle which leads to this rather more informative thread.

I'm afraid that I'll be in Andalucia. Pity (quite).

Simply Paul Guest

Even though it's clear in the description that the Go Ape activities were optional the event has been archived before it could be edited to match (new? new interpretation of?) GS rules. I've requested that it's unarchived so I can amend the listing to pass 'the test of cachingness'. Stay tuned.

Oh, and I was told I could appeal via appeals@geocaching.com if I wanted to. I laughed on the inside
    Last edited by Simply Paul; 28th August 2008 at 10:52 PM.

Surely you might as well submit a new event based on the old description (with revisions), which would save the un-archiving malarkey?

The best way to get a full and detailed description of the Go Ape course in the event description is to first submit a waymark in the Fitness Trails category (http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detail...5-aaf66b8e4fdc). My experience is that waymarks get approved within a few hours, although a reminder might be necessary occasionally, but this category is new so they'll be welcoming new entries.

Then all you do is link to this waymark in the Event description. GS can hardly object to a link which leads to their own website, and there's no restriction on submitting commercial fitness trails to Waymarking.

Exclamation

Please contact Groundspeak directly as requested to do so concerning the event, as they have decided that it is a commercial enterprise, the listing of a event there will have to have their approval. As this is beyond the remit of Volunteer Reviewers. The event submission was Archived on their instructions.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Simply Paul Guest

I'm delighted no obstacles are being put in my way on this one. It wasn't a commercial enterprise, the page made it clear any other activities available in the woods were wholly optional... I've not been requested to do anything; I was told no, and I could appeal if I wanted to. Happy Humphrey, it doesn't look like making a fresh, amended listing (my plan B) is going to make much difference. But I won't let that stop me trying

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
    Please contact Groundspeak directly as requested to do so concerning the event, as they have decided that it is a commercial enterprise, the listing of a event there will have to have their approval. As this is beyond the remit of Volunteer Reviewers. The event submission was Archived on their instructions.

Deci

Is this another of those guideline "changes" that no-one is told of, or is it somewhat deeper.

I seem to remember that in the distant past - well before last April anyway - we were happy to post events that had an OPTIONAL extra activity that could have attracted an entry fee; Anderton Boat Lift adventure, Froncysyllte Aquaduct adventure being 2 that spring to mind..........and no-one from GSP objected - indeed were we not once told by a senior lackey that, as long as the extra activity was clearly optional it was fine.