Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: London caches archived

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default London caches archived

I wonder what the cause was? It looks like Jonnytuna has taken offence after a forcible archiving of a couple of caches (e.g. https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....c-0b6161ea82d3). Anyone know what's behind it? It seems that a good proportion of London caches have gone.

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/near...px?u=jonnytuna

I've been wondering the same thing.
    I saw that "the big stick" had descended on St. Pancras, but it's a real tragedy that JT has archived his caches..some of them were crackers..

A sad day for those who want to do some caches in London, especially foreign visitors..

It is a shame indeed, I hav'nt done them all

Perhaps it's the person that got hit with the "Big stick" bit back. I would be interested to know what the problem with the cache was though.
    Last edited by Wadders; 30th August 2008 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    It is a shame indeed, I hav'nt done them all

Perhaps it the person that got hit with the "Big stick" bit back. I would be interested to know what the problem with the cache was though.
    Yes, it's not just being nosey. There's a need to learn from this incident (if there has been an incident). If someone wants to reinstate some of these caches, they'll have to know what the problem was (if any), or else they could be wasting their time.

Angry

Can we please correct one thing before it escalates into something it isn't

Perhaps it the person that got hit with the "Big stick" bit back.
    The "Big Stick" being referred to in Miss Jenns tag line, is in fact a "Hiking Stick" given as a gift. And not a Big Stick used to poke, hit or threaten anyone! And any reference that it is, is being offensive!

As anyone who has physically spoken to Miss Jenn will testify, she is a very nice person.

Deci
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

Presumably, with the Olympics coming to London in 2012 things will start to be tightened up, security wise, ready for the games..?

Is this another concern, that we (as cachers) should be taking on board.

If the caches above have been archived due to "Bomb Scare" issues, things will become even tighter closer to the games themselves.

Will we be allowed into London with a GPSr? [And that, I hope, is a tongue in cheek question!]
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post

The "Big Stick" being referred to in Miss Jenns tag line, is in fact a "Hiking Stick" given as a gift. And not a Big Stick used to poke, hit or threaten anyone! And any reference that it is, is being offensive!

As anyone who has physically spoken to Miss Jenn will testify, she is a very nice person.

Deci
    Very well put, heart felt sentiment.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't answer questions that may well effect all urban caches in the UK. Like, Who contacted GSP in regards to the archived London caches? Why does GSP feel that they needed archiving, (which I believe was done without first consulting the cache setter, who did have permission for the cache to be there in the first place)? Why does the cache setter feel the need to archive most of his other caches, in response to GSP's actions (only a question he can answer)?

I know that some members have sent emails to GSP asking for clarification on this issue, but due to GSP's continued unwillingness to give members adequate responses to even the simplest of questions, I wouldn't expect GSP to respond in a manner that some members find exceptable (if at all).
    Given your postion within GSP, would you be kind enough to ask GSP for clarification on this issue, so's members with urban caches could decide if any type of action is required on their caches?
    Last edited by jacobite; 30th August 2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Bad grammer.

Deci
    I've met Miss Jenn and she's very nice indeed! :wub:

But I think we should consider whether we can help prevent a repeat of what sounds like a bomb scare. And finding out the exact details will be the first step.

Deci
    Dave, I could not be in any greater agreement with you over the matter of MissJenn.

I have had many an email conversation with her - and she is a nice and very sensitive person.

However, considering the function she seems to need to exercise with relation to UK caches and forum threads, from time to time, and considering there IS an ambiguity to her avatar tag - whether any one wishes there to be so or not - perhaps she could demonstrate her sensitivity by modifying it to remove that ambiguity, for as long as that exists people are going to comment on it.

Deci
    Just to put the record straight, I was not in any way refering to Miss jens avatar so please don't jump to conclusions that i am having a go at Miss jen personally,......i was not

I was refering to the way that Groundspeak keep there customers in order!!

Now that more info has come out, i see it as more of a shame, there are some very good caches archived there, i do hope that some are adopted.