Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Caching Canines Calendars

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    114

    Default Caching Canines Calendars

    Payment to the PDSA from the sales of Caching Canines Calendars

    Thank you to everyone who supported this.

    PDSA Payment

    Mandy
    Last edited by Us 4 and Jess; 3rd September 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

  2. #2
    Lakeuk Guest

    Default

    Didn't get banned

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Well done for the hard work Mandy and I'm saddened by the ridiculous but predictable reaction "over there". As time goes by I continue to be convinced I made the right decision in April.

    Good on 'yer kid.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Well done for the hard work Mandy and I'm saddened by the ridiculous but predictable reaction "over there". As time goes by I continue to be convinced I made the right decision in April.

    Good on 'yer kid.

    I am in 100% agreement with my esteemed ex-colleague and still great friend .

    In my (our) disagreements with GSP and their, apparent, total disregard for the way many of us Brits may feel (and I know full well it is not all of us before one or two of you start up the chorus that they totally disagree) I perhaps foresaw the way things were starting to go and decided that I wanted no part in it.

    Mandy, over the past few years you have done a great service to some UK charities, as did the people who supported deepdiggingmole, Cave Troll and Joan, and all the other who, I know, used their caching activities to support others less fortunate, or those with a problem.

    I am just so sorry that the fundamentalist minority - and I do believe it is a minority - have prevailed to bring this change about. I am also saddened that the pressure from elsewhere has caused such a change in the way the UK forum is controlled, and some of the other aspects of caching in the UK.

    Perhaps it grew too large - I don't know - but I really wish it had the same spirit it has when I started in 2002

    But as I said before somewhere - I (we) will "Carry on Caching" ("Ooeer Matron!") and hopefully enjoy doing it......

    So, Cheers all :cheers::cheers:,

    Get out there and find 'em - before they all get binned for some reason or other!!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Church Warsop, Notts
    Posts
    518

    Default

    :cheers: Cheers to you too, Dave! I've recently started to properly understand why you took the action you did...!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Nice post Dave.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Don't tell me they have been closing threads over there again

    Vote for "Barrack" he'll sort em out

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Well done to Mandy and Dave

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Having raised something approaching two grand for Children in Need over the last five years through the CIN Cache Events in Yorkshire, I won't be holding an event in 2008.

    Our (very) old and esteemed reviewing team presumably turned a blind eye to the CIN event in the past even though they knew damn well what CIN stood for. But I have no doubt that the new regime from my side of the pond would stamp on CIN 2008 from a great height. It just isn't worth the risk any more.

    Kids charities suffer while TPTB keep using our $30 to fuel their boats and Ferraris. (just kidding about that bit - I think!!!)
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muggle View Post
    Having raised something approaching two grand for Children in Need over the last five years through the CIN Cache Events in Yorkshire, I won't be holding an event in 2008.
    Sad, very sad.

    With Children In Need so may people from all walks of life around the country, in businesses and elsewhere have great fun while helping others. It a shame Geocachers are forbidden to participate now.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. E. Wales
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    <snip>It a shame Geocachers are forbidden to participate now.<snip>


    I'm a geocacher. I've partcipated in Children in Need regularly over the last 15 years by organising and taking part in various sponsored events at our local school... as I will be this year.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post


    I'm a geocacher. I've partcipated in Children in Need regularly over the last 15 years by organising and taking part in various sponsored events at our local school... as I will be this year.
    Sure you'll be participating, but as a school volunteer, not as a Geocacher. I was referring to geocachers joining together to enjoy a geocaching related activity.

    I'm a geocacher but when I play golf I'm a golfer (of sorts! ), when I go shopping I'm a (henpecked) husband, when I watch Watford FC I'm a football fan, not "The Hornet, Geocacher". Just because you are a geocacher, not everything you do is geocaching related.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. E. Wales
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    I'm simply making the point that there will be plenty of opportunities for people to contribute to Children in Need on 14th November and there are also plenty of geocaching events that take place throughout the year. I don't feel deprived because I can't combine the two.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    I'm simply making the point that there will be plenty of opportunities for people to contribute to Children in Need on 14th November and there are also plenty of geocaching events that take place throughout the year. I don't feel deprived because I can't combine the two.

    ....but perhaps it is a pity when people a few thousands miles away from UK prevent UK cachers from celebrating CIN in their own inimitable fashion.

    :cheers: here's a toast to remeber Mark "The Cat" and his tremendous foxhunts!!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    ......I don't feel deprived because I can't combine the two.
    I'm glad that you are satisfied with things as they are. My point though, was that some (many?) people have enjoyed combining caching and CIN over the past several years and it's a great shame that they are no longer allowed to do so.

    I believe that the scale of Children In Need is unique within this country and that's what makes it special. It is a truly national event and involves numbers of participants in a way that other charitable appeals just don't. I don't know whether similar events take place elsewhere around the world and I'm sure that those in charge at Groundspeak do not grasp the significance of CIN in this country despite mine, Eckington's and Deceangi's attempts to persuade them over the past few years.

    I can only hope that those efforts will continue.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. E. Wales
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    <snip>I'm sure that those in charge at Groundspeak do not grasp the significance of CIN in this country despite mine, Eckington's and Deceangi's attempts to persuade them over the past few years. <snip>
    Just so that I understand... Are you saying that Groundspeak's permission was requested for the previous CIN events, but it was not granted?


  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Just so that I understand... Are you saying that Groundspeak's permission was requested for the previous CIN events, but it was not granted?

    Hi Lucilla, to be honest Geocaching related CIN activities have been going on for so long now that I cannot remember the precise history. What I do know, is that until very recently the local reviewers were allowed sufficient latitude in the way that they dealt with such matters that CIN events were able to take place without any trouble being caused. For years we never received any complaints at the way we were dealing with this local "variance". My comment about trying to "persuade" Groundspeak was in reference to the many discussions we had about formalising the ability of local reviewers to react to local situations.

    As people now know however, for whatever reason certain people in "authority", who perhaps did not understand the particular situation here, decided that this variance from the global interpretation would be the cause of problems elsewhere. It was at this point that the "cosy" local way of doing things suddenly became anathema and the rest as they say ... etc.

    The point I was trying to make was that I felt comfortable being involved in a particular method of doing things which to my mind suited this community but now that has changed I feel the way geocaching is being driven (not by you or Graculus, Deci or Alba I have to say) is to its detriment.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Stevenage, Herts
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    ....... have been going on for so long now that I cannot remember the precise history. ...
    If my memory serves me right, (which I am sure "Dad" will make some comment about ), the very first CIN event was the Cat's nationwide Foxhunt.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. E. Wales
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Just to pull this post back OT a bit -

    I understand that some people are not happy with the way that Groundspeak have tightened up on the implementation of their Guidelines recently however (as you probably realise) I take a similar view as stated by Eclectic Penguin in a recent UK Forum post,

    <snip>"at the end of the day, Groundspeak IS a privately owned company who can run their own web sites in whatever manner they chose, even if we don't agree with them. At the end of the day, the UK part of the forum is part of the overall Groundspeak empire regardless of whether we feel it should be run differently. For me, if I really didn't feel I wanted to live under the rules of these forums, I wouldn't use the forums..."<snip>

    However, there are ways to accommodate the requirements of GSP and still convey whatever information you need to get across, it just takes a little forethought and consideration. For example, our very own Nobby Nobbs recently put up this Topic in the UK Forum:
    Help required organising a London based treasure hunt. It's a perfectly reasonable request with no references to anything charitable or commercial in any way. He suggested that anyone interested could get more information by contacting him through his profile or via GAGB. No unnecessary links to anything either. As far as I'm aware, Nobby achieved his aim of getting some assistance from UK geocachers and everyone was happy with the outcome. How did he manage this? - With a little forethought, consideration and consultation.

    Now you can argue along the lines of, "But why should we have to go about it in this way?... etc etc"

    I can only refer you back to that quote above from the penguin man.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 5th September 2008 at 02:51 PM.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Just so that I understand... Are you saying that Groundspeak's permission was requested for the previous CIN events, but it was not granted?


    You could try a search in the RWH for "CIN" or "Children in need" as I did once. It used to throw up some very interesting material about the first "Mark the Cat" foxhunt and discussions between Tim & June and GSP.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Barnoldswick, Yorks/Lancs Border
    Posts
    35

    Default

    It's a shame Muggle has decided not to hold another CIN event at the Leggers this year, I'm sure a listing would get approved if it just didn't mention CIN or any raffles.

    The Mega Event 2008 commitee are meeting in a few weeks to discuss, amoungst other things, who to donate our leftover funds to; and I'll certainly be pushing for CIN as a worthy recipent.

    As for Mark's Foxhunts..... The Foxhunt I ran at the Mega week was a success (for those who could understand it), and now I own the equipment I'll certainly be putting on another (now I've learnt what works and what doesn't) - I just happen to have another week of holiday still to book this year, and November would be a good time
    It would be a great shame if the car just happened to have a donation bucket on-board, with no mention on the event page

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    Sure you'll be participating, but as a school volunteer, not as a Geocacher. I was referring to geocachers joining together to enjoy a geocaching related activity.

    I'm a geocacher but when I play golf I'm a golfer (of sorts! ), when I go shopping I'm a (henpecked) husband, when I watch Watford FC I'm a football fan, not "The Hornet, Geocacher". Just because you are a geocacher, not everything you do is geocaching related.
    Sorry you have lost me here!!! Who or what are Watford FC?

    Wadders (The Leeds fan runs and hides) LOL

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wadders View Post
    Sorry you have lost me here!!! Who or what are Watford FC?

    Wadders (The Leeds fan runs and hides) LOL
    A Leeds fan having a dig at a Watford fan - oh the ironing is delicious

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    Just to pull this post back OT a bit -

    I understand that some people are not happy with the way that Groundspeak have tightened up on the implementation of their Guidelines recently however (as you probably realise) I take a similar view as stated by Eclectic Penguin in a recent UK Forum post,

    <snip>"at the end of the day, Groundspeak IS a privately owned company who can run their own web sites in whatever manner they chose, even if we don't agree with them. At the end of the day, the UK part of the forum is part of the overall Groundspeak empire regardless of whether we feel it should be run differently. For me, if I really didn't feel I wanted to live under the rules of these forums, I wouldn't use the forums..."<snip>

    However, there are ways to accommodate the requirements of GSP and still convey whatever information you need to get across, it just takes a little forethought and consideration. For example, our very own Nobby Nobbs recently put up this Topic in the UK Forum:
    Help required organising a London based treasure hunt. It's a perfectly reasonable request with no references to anything charitable or commercial in any way. He suggested that anyone interested could get more information by contacting him through his profile or via GAGB. No unnecessary links to anything either. As far as I'm aware, Nobby achieved his aim of getting some assistance from UK geocachers and everyone was happy with the outcome. How did he manage this? - With a little forethought, consideration and consultation.

    Now you can argue along the lines of, "But why should we have to go about it in this way?... etc etc"

    I can only refer you back to that quote above from the penguin man.



    Interesting, we still have a few apparent double standards.

    Despite all the grief that Mandy went through, and despite all the GSP hype about forum guidelines etc, at least one geocacher/caching team has a solicitation for a charity on their tagline - and Good for Them!

    The event is over, as I discovered when donated, but they have raised nearly 1300 for GOSH so far - again WELL DONE THE!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •