Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Confusion reigns....

Question Confusion reigns....

What, exactly, do the OS mean when they refer to one of their pillar's smaller brethren as a 'rivet', 'bolt' or 'surface block'?
    There seems to be very little consistency regarding how their various bits of ironmongery are labelled and in fact, the terms seem to be pretty much interchangeable.
    I've found surface blocks that are bronze hemi-spheres, a couple of inches in diameter set into a lump of concrete at the side of a country road. I've also found surface blocks that are tiny little rivety things about 1/4" in diameter set into the concrete surround of a drain in a public car park. There are also examples of both of these types being called 'rivets' and occasionally 'bolts'
    I'm not particularly bothered as they all count but I am just a little curious about it.
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

nobbynobbs Guest

Since when did any civil service branch make sense?

Well, there's a OS page here that gives some information (scroll down a bit), but I don't think it's going to answer your question, John...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

The Waymarking category has a good run-down of all the types.
    http://www.waymarking.com/cat/detail...gid=5&exp=True
    If there was a competition for witty signatures, I'd come last.

ted Guest

I agree wih John that the OS aren't consistent in their naming of these stations.

One possible explanation is that, over time, the markers were replaced by another of a different kind (e.g. because the original was damaged or the surveyor couldn't find the damn thing ). Subsequently the records were never updated. Thats my guess FWIW. In a couple of instances where I've looked for a block/bolt/rivet, a Berntsen has been found instead.

Regards
    Ted

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edgemaster View Post
    Great page! although doesn't (yet) have a comprehensive coverage of different types of Bolts I think. I can picture one near Stafford, approx 150mm across maybe, but same idea. I may have a pic somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    Great page! although doesn't (yet) have a comprehensive coverage of different types of Bolts I think. I can picture one near Stafford, approx 150mm across maybe, but same idea. I may have a pic somewhere...
    I supplied much of that information, but it's mostly just put together from the usual online sources. Don't have anything on else on bolts though - I'm sure they'd be grateful for any additional information. I can't get into the waymarking thing though, it's too finicky and yet too imprecise at the same tame.

Oh, dear, nobody thought to test their pages in Firefox... I'm using FF 2.0.0.16, and the map and the navigation on the right of the page obliterates part of the text content. Waymarking pages with only the basic details at the top are ok, but full description pages are a disaster... Wake up, GSP...!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D (wwh) View Post
    Oh, dear, nobody thought to test their pages in Firefox... I'm using FF 2.0.0.16, and the map and the navigation on the right of the page obliterates part of the text content. Waymarking pages with only the basic details at the top are ok, but full description pages are a disaster... Wake up, GSP...!
    It looks ok in the new Firefox 3.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by agentmancuso View Post
    It looks ok in the new Firefox 3.0.1
    I'm a bit reluctant to update, as I believe various Greasemonkey scripts don't work in FF 3.

I'm a bit reluctant to update, as I believe various Greasemonkey scripts don't work in FF 3.
    Which? Most of the ones I was aware of have been migrated.

Sagina nivalis Guest

I supplied much of that information, but it's mostly just put together from the usual online sources. Don't have anything on else on bolts though - I'm sure they'd be grateful for any additional information. I can't get into the waymarking thing though, it's too finicky and yet too imprecise at the same tame.
    IIRC there are at least 3 different types of FBM too. There was a posting on trigonomy, long time ago ...

Which? Most of the ones I was aware of have been migrated.
    To be honest, I'm not sure... But I do remember a post somewhere, here or elsewhere, saying that someone had updated to FF 3 and suddenly a lot of things weren't working. Maybe all is fixed now, and I can safely update...?

To be honest, I'm not sure... But I do remember a post somewhere, here or elsewhere, saying that someone had updated to FF 3 and suddenly a lot of things weren't working. Maybe all is fixed now, and I can safely update...?
    Just check the relevant forum threads for script updates first.. If you have any in particular that don't work, I'll have a trawl through to find an update, or if not, fix it then publish the update (when I find time).

Just check the relevant forum threads for script updates first.. If you have any in particular that don't work, I'll have a trawl through to find an update, or if not, fix it then publish the update (when I find time).
    Thanks for that...! I'll go ahead and update.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    IIRC there are at least 3 different types of FBM too. There was a posting on trigonomy, long time ago ...
    A bit late, but this might be what you had in mind.
    Last edited by agentmancuso; 10th July 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: duff html

Sagina nivalis Guest

A bit late, but this might be what you had in mind.
    Don't think I've seen that page before. Amazing
    Last edited by Sagina nivalis; 13th July 2009 at 06:12 PM.

I'd had it bookmarked for ages, but then had completely forgotten about it. Oddly enough, just after posting it here I found my way to it again, through the benchmark database somehow. It might belong to Rod S. if I remember rightly. Here's another one I dug up a while back while putting something together for the waymarking group. I sent a message to the authors, but I don't think they ever replied.

Regards,

Bernie

RodS Guest

I'd had it bookmarked for ages, but then had completely forgotten about it. Oddly enough, just after posting it here I found my way to it again.

It might belong to Rod S. if I remember rightly.
    Based on my notes, but Ian Richardson's handiwork on the web page. Most pictures from Iain M and others on T:UK