Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Old, unfound caches

Default Old, unfound caches

So there I was with a few idle minutes playing with my GSAK (Ooh! Matron! ) when I discovered that I only have two unfound caches in the UK which were in existence when I started Geocaching (on 4th Feb 2001) and which are still active. One is in Wales and the other is in Scotland.

The first is not too far away and is now on my "must do" list but the other one could be more tricky.

Anyone else have any similar stats?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    So there I was with a few idle minutes playing with my GSAK (Ooh! Matron! ) when I discovered that I only have two unfound caches in the UK which were in existence when I started Geocaching (on 4th Feb 2001) and which are still active. One is in Wales and the other is in Scotland.

The first is not too far away and is now on my "must do" list but the other one could be more tricky.

Anyone else have any similar stats?
    https://www.geocaching.com/seek/log....4-ad67335f2930

So your first cache find was 15 Feb 2002. What were you doing in 2001??
    Muggle - One Voice - One Vote

Hmm! Now that's an interesting question. My profile says I joined in Feb 2001 but that cache was definitely my first. I certainly didn't join a year before logging my first cache. When was the first major Foot & Mouth outbreak? I remember it was a couple of months after I started. So now I have 102 to find

I think the FTF should be reported to TPTB for placing illegal contraband in the cache!!
    Last edited by The Hornet; 11th September 2008 at 03:58 PM.

Our account was created in March 2001. That's when we found out about geocaching and MrB created an account while browsing around the GC site.
    We didn't find our first cache until May 2004 and that was "The First in Wales" on the Blorenge. As far as Chris can recall, he then changed the name of our account to "Blorenge" when we logged that first cache. After a few more finds he noticed that I was tagging along with him on these jaunts so he changed the name to "The Blorenges".

When I was looking at the BM list of Oldest Active Caches in UK and Ireland I thought it might be an interesting mission to try and log them all.
    Last edited by Mrs Blorenge; 11th September 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Hmm! Now that's an interesting question. My profile says I joined in Feb 2001 but that cache was definitely my first. I certainly didn't join a year before logging my first cache. When was the first major Foot & Mouth outbreak? I remember it was a couple of months after I started. So now I have 102 to find

I think the FTF should be reported to TPTB for placing illegal contraband in the cache!!
    Did you join up before or after Lost in Space? I think he started in October of 2001.

February 2001 puts you before Moss Trooper and John Stead. And of course ME!!

Interesting and curious! Looking back I came across this GSP forum thread https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...opic=40241&hl= which is clearly dated in 2002. (Anyone know what happened to all those people?)

However I clearly remember my very early geocaching activities being curtailed by the Foot and Mouth restrictions which after a quick Google here http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2519703.stm were in 2001. Does anyone else remember caching during the outbreak or is it all in my ageing and failing imagination?

Hi Peeps.. oooooooooooo top of the list.. first and last time

So what has happened to those in the list well lets see..

1) Moss Trooper A right retrabate an should be sectioned

2) Jason W.. Got married and had kiddywinkles so didnt get much time after that.

3) Monz Just seemed to drop out in favour of Big Bikes !!!

5) f-stop ... Monz's pillion

7) Street Pilot My Bro and only played for a short while..

9) jstead That ole codgger is still about.

14) Kimrobin.. as in Alex in US

18) BumbleBee partner to JasonW the one she married

25) The Northumbrian Seemed to get dispondant but still pops up.

27) Tim & June found other things to do.. Huge decking I belive

34) McDeHack Think he is still floating about.

49) PoppyUK.. married to yours truely but don't cache much now.

Thats as much as I know .. I could be wrong on a few if not all.. if it is all I don't know me or the wife as well as I thought

As for cacheing during the Foot n Mooth outbreak.. what a pain that was.. lot of caches popping up in urban areas.. I blame F n T for Micro's Grrrrrrrr
    Moss T
    Moss The Boss... Sorta

21) lathama - the big guy is still very much around.

59) Lost in Space is of course The Hornet's dad.

61) Clyde - worked at the BBC - showed us round the place. very nice guy. No longer caching I think

63) Morseman - used to take the hump on a regualr basis, has a very nice little multi in Bolsover which is still active.

More idle browsing has turned up this link https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...r=all&st=13550 which seems to be the very first page of the UK forum. Even then there was talk about poor places to put a cache

It was obviously before I joined but the talk was about FMD so I guess I must have been imagining that my early geocaching adventures were curtailed.

All that being the case, why does my profile show I joined in Feb 2001 when it was clearly 2002? I'll have to pose the question "over there"

30) bogtrotter - Place the first cache we found. He hasn't logged onto gc.com since last year but the cache is still there!

62) Rincewind & Luggage - I believe this couple split up a few years ago but I have no idea whether either is still caching.

More idle browsing has turned up this link https://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/in...r=all&st=13550 which seems to be the very first page of the UK forum. Even then there was talk about poor places to put a cache

It was obviously before I joined but the talk was about FMD so I guess I must have been imagining that my early geocaching adventures were curtailed.

All that being the case, why does my profile show I joined in Feb 2001 when it was clearly 2002? I'll have to pose the question "over there"
    Did you ever change your name from Hornet to The Hornet? Or have you always been "The" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Muggle View Post
    Did you ever change your name from Hornet to The Hornet? Or have you always been "The" ??
    No, when I joined "Hornet" was already taken so I joined as "The Hornet"

I'd love to see a huge geocaching family tree - you know, who introduced who, and so on. Do-able? Hard work though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gerrie View Post
    I'd love to see a huge geocaching family tree - you know, who introduced who, and so on. Do-able? Hard work though!
    Darn good use of the forum though, bet that would start some discussions......

It would be cos I done an article in Computer Active.. LOL LOL Howmany did that kick of.. about 12 that I know of..

Moss The Boss... Sorta

Go on then, I guess this list would help with a few names:

https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks...0-aeb4a41dda34

It would be very interesting for us newbies.

Oh, Last time I spoke with Lathama he was off to China to the Olympics.....

H

Quote Originally Posted by Moss Trooper View Post
    It would be cos I done an article in Computer Active.. LOL LOL Howmany did that kick of.. about 12 that I know of..

Including a Reviewer
    My post is my personal opinion and as such you do not have my permission to quote me outside of these forums!

Dave
    Brenin Tegeingl
    Formerly known as Mancunian Pyrocacher on GC

LiS here checking in. Just found this thread and Oh, what memories...........

Yellow e-Trex, masses of paper, no memory map, no PDA's, NO DOGS ().

The weather seemed better then..........

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in Space View Post
    LiS here checking in. Just found this thread and Oh, what memories...........

Yellow e-Trex, masses of paper, no memory map, no PDA's, NO DOGS ().

The weather seemed better then..........

....and a day out North (and E,S & W ) of Watford took you to cracking Hornet's Hides:cheers::cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydaved View Post
    ....and a day out North (and E,S & W ) of Watford took you to cracking Hornet's Hides:cheers::cheers:
    Yeah, but some of them involved b****y long walks............