Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Log in and out geocoins. Why?

Default Log in and out geocoins. Why?

I have seen geocoin owners log in then out a geocoin they own. I have the UK event geocoin and it's activated but am not sure why owners log in and out geocoins.

Could someone enlighten me please?

Watford Wobble
    Ho hum!

I used to log a personal coin into every cache that I had visited so that I could see on the coin page where I had been, how many miles I had clocked up and I also pasted all the logs I wrote onto the page so all my logs were in 1 place. The coin represented me and if other cachers met me they could log the coin as discovered. I have stopped doing this now though as I have change my caching name (I used to be "The Nutters" and the coin was a nut). Also I often find several caches in 1 day and it takes ages to log the coin in and out of everyone.

I think "Messe" still does this, his mileage is clocking up nicely.....

Default That makes sense

Thanks Tiger-Eyes, that makes sense.

Just realised that I should have posted this question under 'Geocoins' section. Think I got away with it though, haven't had a *******ing yet
    Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by Watford Wobble View Post
    Thanks Tiger-Eyes, that makes sense.

Just realised that I should have posted this question under 'Geocoins' section. Think I got away with it though, haven't had a *******ing yet
    Well, yep, it should have been in Geocoins really, but we're pretty flexible here...
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

GSAK, and other sites, record your mileage -but tend to work on cache to cache to cache basis.
    If you log a coin or TB in and out, and log it at home, or a cache close to home, when you return, you get a better idea of the mileage you have covered whilst caching. (However it will be 'as the crow flies' and not by the road!)
    I have a Geocaching problem...
    Work gets in the way!

* Cache Walker -Caching by byway, not highway! CacheWalker.co.uk
    Walking and Caching in Warwickshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire areas

I do this with my personal TB. After being given it as a gift, I restrospectively logged it into all my previous finds (it took a lot of effort!).
    Now I log it through caches I visit, yes it still takes effort, but I intend to write a script to automate it a little in the future.
    I also allow cachers I meet to log it, as happens with many personal TBs, although the discovered logs do get a bit hidden by my personal activity!
    If there was a competition for witty signatures, I'd come last.

Zpyder Guest

I recently bought a landsharkz gecko geocoin with the intention of logging it in and out of caches I find, but I found I couldn't retrospectively log it into my old finds? I don't want to create a new log on the caches pages to say I've logged it in and out, as I don't think its fair to add a log to a cache I found a few months ago if I haven't revisited the site?

Was I being daft and is there a "proper" way to retrospectively log it in and out?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zpyder View Post
    I recently bought a landsharkz gecko geocoin with the intention of logging it in and out of caches I find, but I found I couldn't retrospectively log it into my old finds? I don't want to create a new log on the caches pages to say I've logged it in and out, as I don't think its fair to add a log to a cache I found a few months ago if I haven't revisited the site?

Was I being daft and is there a "proper" way to retrospectively log it in and out?

Thanks!
    I could be wrong, but as far as I know you can't do that without posting a new log. The new log should of course be a note not a found it log. You can date the new log to match your find, so it'll appear next to your original found it log. I don't think many, if any, cache owners would have any problem with that.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

You can log it in and out of the cache using a note, as Bill said, but you can then delete the note if you're worried about it cluttering the cache logs up.

Just wondering... When you activated your new geocoin, did you active it with the current date, or did you 'backdate' the coin's activation? I was just thinking that if you activated it in e.g. September 2008 and then tried to log it through caches done earlier in the year then maybe it wouldn't work..?

Zpyder Guest

Thanks guys and gals for that info. I ended up going through my list of finds and adding a note to each of the caches, and it did the trick! Now to wait for groundspeak to sort out the issue with travel mileage!