Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Rediscovered trigs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sagina nivalis Guest

Default Rediscovered trigs

I thought it might be useful to list newly-refound trigs. Some of them not so new, but several were new to me. There seems to be no easy way of finding out about these, hence this thread will hopefully help.

Even more helpful would be a trigtool, new or modified, to enable searching on Condition (i.e. "Toppled or moved"). Or is there already one? I can't see one which does this ...

I can't be bothered to hyperlink them all - they are on T:UK. Some Rediscovered / newly found trigs (from a list of 60ish):-

S1681 Cottington's Hill
    S6654 Five Lane Ends
    (FB unknown) Driffield West
    10679 Winkfield (this and Driffield West are surviving Project Emily pillars)
    S2566 Sutton Farm
    S4040 Walderton Down
    S1634 Bleak House Hill
    S6346 Moor Farm
    S2064 Pen Lan Fach
    S1855 Holmshill
    S3268 Ashton Hill Golf Course
    S5032 Cranbrook Castle
    S5607 Tregearedown
    also the Great Glen Project pillars kinda fall into this category

A few I still need:-
    S6003 Dick O' Th' Banks
    S3232 Wall Common
    S3233 Parkly Place and at least one other in Scotland which escapes me, probably several

Feel free to mention any I haven't listed - there's a fair chance I've missed them ...

Sagina nivalis Guest

Default Calbourn FBM refound

Clean forgot to mention Calbourn FBM which has reappeared from whatever it was hiding behind. No joy with its Freshwater mate though.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sagina nivalis View Post
    A few I still need:-
    S6003 Dick O' Th' Banks
    S3232 Wall Common
    S3233 Parkly Place and at least one other in Scotland which escapes me, probably several
    These 3 no longer needed A few others in the "rediscovered" category:-
    S6142 Mealisval (toppled, near summit, confirmed 2009)
    S6834 Roundhay Farm (used by farmer to block access a few km away, refound 2009)
    S1883 Windmill Hill (relocated a few km to caravan site, refound 2008)
    S5548 Hungry Hill (toppled, S of summit; old news)
    S5009 Lea Wood Farm (refound 2007)
    S2126 Puttocks Hill (confirmed still present 2009)
    Also the mysterious Whelford: its identity and original location unknown as yet.

Any others, anyone?
    Last edited by Sagina nivalis; 8th May 2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: 3 more added

Sagina nivalis Guest

Refound yesterday albeit rather battered
    S4352 Woodbridge

zwei ormers Guest

Have you done all the ones in Guernsey?

Sagina nivalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zwei ormers View Post
    Have you done all the ones in Guernsey?
    Not a single one! They're not OS as such are they? How many are there? I've seen one on Jersey, which was a rather scrawny battered affair - but that's Jersey for you, eh
    Last edited by Sagina nivalis; 26th May 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Default Harold Wilson Special

11392 Leyland National Works looks interesting!

zwei ormers Guest

Not a single one! They're not OS as such are they? How many are there? I've seen one on Jersey, which was a rather scrawny battered affair - but that's Jersey for you, eh
    I think they probably are OS - there was an OS map done in the 1980's which has them marked. They're not pillars AFAIK, just a bronze plate-type affair, I'll get a pic of one for you. There's only about 3 or 4 I think, I'll have to look at the map again.

ted Guest

Edingley has been rediscovered in a nearby garden:

http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=3023

Not exactly re-discovered as it was never lost but I did manage to gain access to one that is usually un-reachable a couple of days ago.
    http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=6435
    John
    Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

Sagina nivalis Guest

Nice work fella Good thing your man didn't feel the need to ask his superiors first.

I got a distant (!) view of MOS Eastriggs pillar recently. As good as it gets currently I fear .

Sagina nivalis Guest

S3955 Broad Down is back

Sagina nivalis Guest

I thought it might be useful to list newly-refound trigs. Some of them not so new, but several were new to me. There seems to be no easy way of finding out about these, hence this thread will hopefully help. ...
    I've updated Grid Refs on T:UK for all these refound pillars to match their current physical location.

TomL Guest

Does T:UK need somewhere to note the original location as well as the last position found?
    As I'm sure there are people out there who would also like to visit the original physical place if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TomL View Post
    Does T:UK need somewhere to note the original location as well as the last position found?
    As I'm sure there are people out there who would also like to visit the original physical place if at all possible.
    I visit vanished trigs regularly, but I must admit it never occurred to me that anyone would want to visit a previous location once the relocated trig had been found!

I'll ask Teasel what he thinks.

TomL Guest

It takes all sorts ;0)

I'm not bothered about visiting it's postion but it's nice to know where it was supposed to be even if it's just a glance in that direction or when looking on the map.

Tom,

your suggestion has been added to the T:UK wishlist.

Regards,

Bernie