Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Gutted - One sad story

Unhappy Gutted - One sad story

I received an e-mail today to say that one of my geocoins - The Worrying Parents Geocoin is no more. Its mission was to stay in Afghanistan with the lads and lasses out there and to hopefully bring a bit of good luck. Here is the message I received from a Canadian Solider.
    While I had your geocoin we were ambushed in Zhari District of Afghanistan.
    Our LAV (armoured vehicle) was destroyed. It burnt compleltely. Your geo-coin 'Worrying Parents Trakabulldog Geocoin' was in the LAV. It too was destroyed. I never had an opprtunity to move it to another cache.
    3 Of my friends died in the incident and 5 others are wounded.
    I'm certainly not fussed about losing the coin, but I really feel for the geocacher, his friends and their families at this time. It certainly makes you sit up and realise that there's more to life than complaining about geocoins when they go missing.
    "I Cache, therefore I am"

That is very sad.
    Last edited by The Cache Hoppers; 8th September 2008 at 10:33 AM.

Yes, that does rather put things into perspective. Obviously none of us wants to lose a geocoin, but in the bigger picture it's trivial really. We play a game, and perhaps we sometimes take ourselves and our game rather too seriously.
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

fraggle69 Guest

More of a bad luck geocoin eh! Sad story indeed....

A very sad story... And, after such an incident, how touching that the Canadian soldier remembered about the coin and was good enough to get in touch to explain what had happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Blorenge View Post
    A very sad story... And, after such an incident, how touching that the Canadian soldier remembered about the coin and was good enough to get in touch to explain what had happened.
    Absolutely, having been there myself last year and going back again next year it certainly brings things home for me. Sadly things like that are a daily occurance over there and its almost forgotten about here. My heart and sympathies go out to those involved and their families.

Very sad indeed. All very sad.
    Ho hum!

Certainly puts things in perspective

Thumbs up By an amazing stroke of luck

Well, the saga continues. I received this e-mail from grondspeak yesterday and it appears the coin survived the contact in Afghanistan and is now on its way to Canada - (where I am at the moment

Hill677 grabbed Worrying Parents Trakabulldog Geocoin (Trakabulldog Geocoin) at 11/18/2008

Log Date: 11/18/2008
    Well this coin has quite the story to tell...it was last in the possession of Wade13..who is an Canadian infantry soldier ..who was serving here in Afghanistan in 2008..while in his possession on patrol outside the wire..his vehicle was hit by the "Bad Guy`s ".. the vehicle sustained a lot of damage and there where several casualties..as part of my job I found it !!! The coin is just a little darker then it was before..I will be sending it back to Wade13 who is back home in Canada..

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by studlyone View Post
    Well, the saga continues. I received this e-mail from grondspeak yesterday and it appears the coin survived the contact in Afghanistan and is now on its way to Canada - (where I am at the moment
    That's quite incredible, and especially so as it's now on its way to Canada...!
    ​​Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light. (Dylan Thomas)​

Wow - what an incredible story.... the coins story beats the mileage on that one. :socool:
    Happy Caching

Gazooks

- Setting a good example for children takes all the fun out of middle age.

Great news. May the journey continue.
    Ho hum!